U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 12:28 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,256,171 times
Default What do you take for granted living here?

I am basically a Florida native (born in MO, but moved here before I turned 1). Florida is all I know. Raised in Palm Harbor, lived in Clearwater for a couple of years and now live in Pasco. Since I am from the area, I am sure I take a lot of things for granted that people don't have access to in other parts of the country or even the world. I was talking to a woman in Iowa the other day and she was talking about how lucky I am to be able to go to the beach or the amusement parks any time I want.

I know that people fly from all over the world to go to Disney, and then they usually hit Busch Gardens, Universal, the beach, etc all when they are here. I guess I was hoping people could give a list of things that Floridians take for granted that people from other states don't have easy access to.

Here is my list of what I came up with when I really thought about it. The first few are the obvious ones:

-The ability to use my BBQ grill in February while wearing shorts
-Being at my choice of several types of beach in under 1 hour
-Access to Disney, Busch Gardens, Universal, Sea World, etc without having to get plane tickets and a hotel room.
-Access to cruise ships with just a short drive.
-Fresh seafood caught that day.
-I got to see more shuttle launches than I can remember.
-Seeing manatees out in the wild.
-Being able to grow an oak tree and a palm tree in the same yard.

I am sure I have a million more of them, but I can't think of them all. I am hoping some of you from other areas can come up with more things that will help me realize what we take for granted living here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 12:51 PM

2,602 posts, read 4,398,841 times
The sunshine and the ability to go into my backyard and pull an orange off the tree.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:59 PM

3,748 posts, read 6,901,095 times
Two growing seasons for vegetables and flowers that bloom year round.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:07 PM

425 posts, read 708,657 times
everything you put, plus I'd add
-easy access to a major airport
-being able to grow an oak tree, palm tree, AND plumeria in the same yard
-20 minutes from Pass-a-Grille beach, my favorite beach & one of my generally favorite places in Florida

Old 02-07-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjax1000 View Post
everything you put, plus I'd add
-easy access to a major airport
-being able to grow an oak tree, palm tree, AND plumeria in the same yard
-20 minutes from Pass-a-Grille beach, my favorite beach & one of my generally favorite places in Florida
I don't go to the beach often, but I love the fact that when I want to go I have a choice between Clearwater Beach (crowded & touristy), Caladesi (much more natural) and everything in between. I know that moods change and touristy may not seem good this week, but next week it could be exactly what you want. It is nice to have the choice and have them all so close.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:57 PM

371 posts, read 672,296 times
Sunshine!!! Warmth!!! REAL Thunderstorms. Vine/Tree ripe fruits and veggies. The ability to look at Palm Trees every day, weather in your own yard, the beach or just around town. Yeah, I know, you dont think Palm trees are all that after you're around them all the time, but there are some for which palm trees are soothing and relaxing just to look at. I'd trade a palm tree any day for these dang lob lolly pines!!!

Old 02-07-2011, 02:15 PM

11,502 posts, read 8,156,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
The sunshine and the ability to go into my backyard and pull an orange off the tree.

Now that sounds so awesome!

Old 02-07-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
That is something I definitely take for granted. I grew up in Palm Harbor West of 19 off of Tampa Rd. I remember when Tampa Rd was a 2 lane road. I could walk out my back door, and look out and see huge orange groves. We had all of the oranges we wanted. I never think about how easy it is to get oranges or freshly squeezed OJ.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:31 PM

607 posts, read 947,284 times
I do not take anything for granted since I'm new here.

I'm cherishing it ALL!

It's such a breath of fresh air to see a positive post for a change!.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:10 PM

532 posts, read 508,865 times
I dont take any of these things for granted yet (and I hope I never do) but REALLY appreciate these things about FL:
-no personal property taxes on vehichles
-no county stickers and emissions tests (like we had in VA)
-no state income taxes
-natural beauty and palm trees! Oh how I love palm trees!
-close vicinity to beaches
-only having to have 1 tag on my car instead of 2 in VA
-cheaper housing in comparison to Northern VA where the avg house costs an arm, a leg and an eyeball!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay