U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 07:32 AM

7 posts, read 8,646 times

Advertisements

It does depend slightly on what time you'll need to be in work. Arriving on base before 0630 will be about a 20 min drive from Harbour Island (from leaving to getting parked). It will start taking longer if you leave later due to the traffic build up trying to get on base, pretty much regardless of which gate you use. That said it will only add about 5 to 10 mins extra.

Harbour Island would be a great place to live, and safe for you and your family. You'll have everything at Channelside for the evenings and it would be under $10 for a taxi into Hyde Park/SoHo for the restaurants there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 06:00 AM

3,923 posts, read 10,289,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BsHockeyFan View Post
Can you give specifics why to avoid Grand Key and Hyde Park Walk (location, condition of condo)? Grand Key was a finalist!

I've looked everywhere for something east of Dale Mabry/south of Gandy and can't find anything. Any recommendations?

Thanks for the info....
My objection was based on the number of vacancies and short sales on the retail market. Additionally, some communities are not collecting enough fees for maintenance, reserves and replacements and are operating in the red. I don't have any particular suggestions for SOG...I just wanted you to know that the Ballast Point/Interbay area that's east of Dale Mabry is not bad.

One challenge you have is due to needing a short-term rental. The minimum lease term is 7 months to avoid tourist taxes. Most landlords will require a one-year lease. There are also zoning requirements that prohibit short term rentals. I think Marriott and Casa Bella are the only two on your list that qualify for short-term but I could be wrong.

If you rent from an individual, please make sure that the landlord is not pocketing your payment and is paying the mortgage. If you rent an apartment/condo, you should ask to see the financials. Florida is a judicial state so the mortgage and deed information is publically available through the Court Clerk.

I think you were smart to ask corporate housing. If you are going to rent a privately owned property, find a reputable property management company to work with. If you are going to rent from one of the larger communities, go directly to the onsite property management company. This way, if a unit owner is upside down, they will be able to move you to another apartment in case of foreclosure.

I know I rambled quite a bit but I hope this makes some sense.

Last edited by TampaKaren; 02-14-2011 at 06:16 AM..

Old 02-14-2011, 08:39 AM

5 posts, read 5,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
My objection was based on the number of vacancies and short sales on the retail market. Additionally, some communities are not collecting enough fees for maintenance, reserves and replacements and are operating in the red. I don't have any particular suggestions for SOG...I just wanted you to know that the Ballast Point/Interbay area that's east of Dale Mabry is not bad.

One challenge you have is due to needing a short-term rental. The minimum lease term is 7 months to avoid tourist taxes. Most landlords will require a one-year lease. There are also zoning requirements that prohibit short term rentals. I think Marriott and Casa Bella are the only two on your list that qualify for short-term but I could be wrong.

If you rent from an individual, please make sure that the landlord is not pocketing your payment and is paying the mortgage. If you rent an apartment/condo, you should ask to see the financials. Florida is a judicial state so the mortgage and deed information is publically available through the Court Clerk.

I think you were smart to ask corporate housing. If you are going to rent a privately owned property, find a reputable property management company to work with. If you are going to rent from one of the larger communities, go directly to the onsite property management company. This way, if a unit owner is upside down, they will be able to move you to another apartment in case of foreclosure.

I know I rambled quite a bit but I hope this makes some sense.

I am using a corporate housing company as they offer a 6-month lease plus incentives. I'll stay away from SOG and there's really no corporate housing in Ballast Point (that I found). SOHO/Hyde Park look nice, but a little too busy for my liking. I've narrowed it down to Harbour City Homes or Island Walk. Any advice on either?

TampaKaren, good advice about renting on a possible foreclosure. Didn't really think of that till now. Although it won't apply to me, I'm sure it will help someone out there relocating to the area.

Thanks again.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:23 PM

494 posts, read 1,415,239 times
Might also want to check the Channelside area, it's right next to Harbour Island. Tons of rentals and easy to hop on the toll road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or