U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 03:26 PM

4,224 posts, read 5,677,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoehoard View Post
My company is actually having the same issue. We are a software accounting company in Shelton, CT and we can't fill positions for developers, BAs, and a Development Manager. I went to a job fair recently with our CTO and VP of Development and what we saw were people wanting what I would consider low-level jobs (admin assistant, etc.). It goes along with my theory. And this is only my opinion. The types of people laid off were those that were not pulling their weight, had been in the position doing the same thing for years w/out trying to advance their career, and/or were low-skilled to being with. Again, just my opinion. I think that people with education and skill sets are hanging in their current jobs (like me) until the market improves.
Your opinion is wrong. Before anyone brags about how hard working they are and totally irreplaceable, remember we are all just an outsourcing or a $20 Office Depot program away from sitting on the same bench with the "losers". If your boss can get your job done cheaper, he won't care about your "skill sets". Karma's a tricky thing sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 07:24 AM

463 posts, read 910,207 times
Outsourcing does not work every time. It is a lot of costs associated with it and a lot of changes are necessary to your business process. Yes companies do outsource jobs that can be done cheaper, but to be honest the quality of the work drops quite a bit (I'm talking about software development where i seen outsourced code).
As for job market, i don't even look for a job right now since i have one, but i regularly get e-mails looking for BA's with 5-6+ experience for 68-75k range jobs. Seems like recruiters are getting desperate and send such e-mail to everyone on LinkedIn that has BA mentioned in their profile. If you think that your 5-6 year experience is worth 100k+, please feel free to do that, but you won't get that from the market, and then employer will get that H1B1 visa to bring some poor soul from India to do the same job with worse quality.

Situation might be different in other industries, but software development HAS a shortage of people. Hell all my friends from college with engineering degrees got good jobs within 1-2 months after graduation

Old 08-09-2011, 03:42 PM

3,981 posts, read 9,414,775 times
still seems to be in the toilet to me!

and I dont see it picking up anytime soon

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

Old 08-12-2011, 08:00 PM

594 posts, read 1,239,129 times
Ive been looking for jobs all over Florida (so I can finally move home) and Tampa actually seems to have the best job market (between Orlando, Jax and Miami)

Old 08-12-2011, 08:34 PM

6,584 posts, read 6,794,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duttygal86 View Post
Ive been looking for jobs all over Florida (so I can finally move home) and Tampa actually seems to have the best job market (between Orlando, Jax and Miami)
But that's like being the worlds tallest midget!!

Old 08-13-2011, 01:00 PM

5,507 posts, read 9,254,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoehoard View Post
My company is actually having the same issue. We are a software accounting company in Shelton, CT and we can't fill positions for developers, BAs, and a Development Manager. I went to a job fair recently with our CTO and VP of Development and what we saw were people wanting what I would consider low-level jobs (admin assistant, etc.). It goes along with my theory. And this is only my opinion. The types of people laid off were those that were not pulling their weight, had been in the position doing the same thing for years w/out trying to advance their career, and/or were low-skilled to being with. Again, just my opinion. I think that people with education and skill sets are hanging in their current jobs (like me) until the market improves.
The people you are talking about are the ones that I saw get laid off at the investment firm I worked at. You'd hear stories about them later and they ended up in low end jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay