U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 12:02 PM

463 posts, read 907,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
First 5 items are not in Tampa......but general Florida things to do.
The last 4 can be done anywhere.
She was actually referring to the amount of mini vacations they've managed to take since living here, not a list of things to do in the area.

Would you like to discuss my list or just pick and choose the things you wish to argue?

Things to do within a two hour drive, just off the top of my head....

Brooker Creek Nature Preserve
Wikki Wachee Springs State Park
Florida Aquarium
Walt Disney World
Busch Gardens
Hillsborough River State Park
Lowry Park Zoo
Silver Springs
Rainbow River State Park
Ringling Brothers Museum
MOSI Tampa
Sea World
Universal Studios
Kennedy Space Center - Ok a little over 2 hours.
Bok Tower Gardens
Honeymoon Island
Caladesi Island
Salvador Dali Museum
Holocaust Museum
Horseback Riding
Henry B. Plant Museum
Sunken Gardens
Selby Gardens
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Didn't say it was that either....I said that NORTH of DT, there is a lot of dilapidation that can easily be cleaned up. IF there was a will.

Up on 54 there are also patches of dilapidation as well as on 41 north in Land o Lakes...can be cleaned up easily.
So, based on your own explanation, the "city" is defined only by the area north of downtown?

Quote:
Pictures don't lie and sadly for you, I am not going to "pretend" this city is perfect and clean. It's not.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:10 PM

5,453 posts, read 7,754,034 times
We did those as well....we lived here 10 years now....!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumermarie View Post
Brooker Creek Nature Preserve
Wikki Wachee Springs State Park
Florida Aquarium
Walt Disney World
Busch Gardens
Hillsborough River State Park
Lowry Park Zoo
Silver Springs
Rainbow River State Park
Ringling Brothers Museum
MOSI Tampa
Sea World
Universal Studios
Kennedy Space Center - Ok a little over 2 hours.
Bok Tower Gardens
Honeymoon Island
Caladesi Island
Salvador Dali Museum
Holocaust Museum
Horseback Riding
Henry B. Plant Museum
Sunken Gardens
Selby Gardens
Pinnelas County Botanic gardens along with the one in Tampa by USF are nice also when in bloom. Both free.

You should also check out Wall Springs Park, Howard Park....Sunset Key Park.....Anclote Key....we have a lot of that...that is not what I was picking at. But you make it sound as if there's nothing in Buffalo...Allegany State park will keep you busy a while, Rock City, Letchworth....to name a few.....

Old 02-15-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
So, based on your own explanation, the "city" is defined only by the area north of downtown?
The "City of Tampa" itself is small by comparison to say...Miami...what makes this area large are the cities around the "City of Tampa" boundaries: St Pete, New Tampa, Lutz, Land o Lakes, Trinity, Odessa, Safety Harbor, etc etc etc.... Inside the city boundaries there are very few nice areas, by comparison, size wise. DT should reclaim that north side, which is fairly large and improve on it Rather than leave it in disrepair.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:20 PM

Oh no I loved what Buffalo had to offer, I was merely referring to the culture shock of someone moving here, its definitely different, but I believe I agreed with you in that regard.

I still haven't been out to Pinellas County Botanical Gardens, its on the list though, thanks for the suggestion.

Heritage Village in Largo is another great place to visit and free...

In regards to having done everything on list I think that being here 10 years and having done them doesn't scratch them from the list of things to do. Don't you have favorites that you visit? I know we visit the same theme parks and nature preserves all the time. It's like going to the beach every summer, just because you've been there many times doesn't mean it isn't a great place to visit, maybe you just need a change of scenery? Expand yourself to a 3-4 hour drive and that opens up a whole window of opportunity.

I originally replied to your posting regarding the lack of things to do in the area on the weekends, regardless of the time of year.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
The "City of Tampa" itself is small by comparison to say...Miami...what makes this area large are the cities around the "City of Tampa" boundaries: St Pete, New Tampa, Lutz, Land o Lakes, Trinity, Odessa, Safety Harbor, etc etc etc.... Inside the city boundaries there are very few nice areas, by comparison, size wise. DT should reclaim that north side, which is fairly large and improve on it Rather than leave it in disrepair.
I can't disagree about the disrepair in that area, we don't go to areas of Tampa very often for the reasons you have stated before but there are plenty of beautiful areas around and in Tampa that are worth living in, which is my point.

It does seem that instead of fixing what is already available we tend to expand outward to escape and never look back. Although, I imagine you could say that about a lot of major cities, including Buffalo.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:45 PM

2,602 posts, read 7,181,730 times
Quote:
Do you want to see pictures again?

Pictures don't lie and sadly for you, I am not going to "pretend" this city is perfect and clean. It's not. I do drive hours in my day....I don't spend my day stuck in an office 9 to 5, I travel for work and I don't just travel to Culbreath Isles! or St Pete Beach.....Tampa's downtown is dead after 5pm. Unlike Fort Lauderdale's for example, also in Florida. Yeah, there are small attempts to improve but not many sadly and they seem to take forever, when a few years back things were poping up like mushrooms overnight. The immediate area north of DT is pure crap and dilapidation...have you even drove there yet? that is prime real estate space wasted by the city hall or whomever is responsible with the overall IMAGE of the city.
What? You expect the city to seize dozens of lots by power of eminent domain and turn them into fashionable entertainment venues or something? Not going to happen. I don't want my tax dollars being spent on yet another botched urban renewal attempt. I'd rather have a bunch of rundown but architecturally-significant buildings than vacant lots. Don't believe me? Look at the old Central Park projects, numerous lots downtown that were supposed to turn into "luxury skyscrapers" or whatever, and whole stretches of places like 40th Street and Palm Avenue. Look at how Seminole Heights is starting to turn around with minimal (if any) city intervention. Once the schools up there turn around, the real estate values will surge.

I'm not advocating for semi-slums like parts of Tampa Heights to remain the way they are, but I don't want the city meddling by bulldozing whole blocks due to some flaky real estate venture. There are so many cool places in that area that you rip on: one of Tampa's first vegan restaurants, a great bike store, Marie Faedo's bakery, and tons of independent restaurants that are known only to the area because people like you paint the whole neighborhood as "cracktown," which scares off Wonder Bread suburbanites. Not to mention that most of the major streets have bike lanes and the bus system in that area is some of the best in the county. Besides, you want all of these fancy venues, boutiques, and restaurants, but where do you expect all the people that will work at those places to live?

Old 02-15-2011, 01:02 PM

Wall Springs Park became a favorite see below why:

I took the photo below a few weekends ago at Wall Springs Park, the other is from Allegany last summer....I Love it there...and we do that already, I just miss having mountains around for short notice trips.

Howard Park is a favorite...

We also go to Fort Lauderdale/Miami a lot since we have family there..we're all over the place.

Quote:
Oh no I loved what Buffalo had to offer, I was merely referring to the culture shock of someone moving here, its definitely different, but I believe I agreed with you in that regard.

I still haven't been out to Pinellas County Botanical Gardens, its on the list though, thanks for the suggestion. No problem...

Heritage Village in Largo is another great place to visit and free...

In regards to having done everything on list I think that being here 10 years and having done them doesn't scratch them from the list of things to do. Don't you have favorites that you visit? I know we visit the same theme parks and nature preserves all the time. It's like going to the beach every summer, just because you've been there many times doesn't mean it isn't a great place to visit, maybe you just need a change of scenery? Expand yourself to a 3-4 hour drive and that opens up a whole window of opportunity.

I originally replied to your posting regarding the lack of things to do in the area on the weekends, regardless of the time of year.
Attached Thumbnails
I know this is a broad question, but Do you like living in the Tampa Area?-img_8365.jpg   I know this is a broad question, but Do you like living in the Tampa Area?-allegany-state-park-8-33-.jpg  

Old 02-15-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Wall Springs Park became a favorite see below why:

I took the photo below a few weekends ago at Wall Springs Park, the other is from Allegany last summer....I Love it there...and we do that already, I just miss having mountains around for short notice trips.

Howard Park is a favorite...

We also go to Fort Lauderdale/Miami a lot since we have family there..we're all over the place.
Wall Springs looks WONDERFUL! I'm so adding it to my list. Thank you!

I admit that while Florida is great and we love living here, I miss the change of seasons. Nothing as drastic as Buffalo of course but a nice transition, and trees, I miss REAL trees, hiking here is a different experience but just isn't the same as being completely engulfed by the woods up north.

Great pictures too. We drove through Allegheny briefly while driving back to Florida last June, I agree, its a gorgeous area for certain.

http://summerinfl.smugmug.com/Road-T...07821844_jVn36

Old 02-15-2011, 02:06 PM

This is very very true and this is exactly what I mean....why expand and increase gas mileage rather than restore what we have close to venues etc...that was my point all along. & Yes, it is a US thing...everywhere else, the poorest areas are away from towns centers.

I PM'd you my flickr link...

Quote:
It does seem that instead of fixing what is already available we tend to expand outward to escape and never look back. Although, I imagine you could say that about a lot of major cities, including Buffalo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay