U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 01:19 PM

5 posts, read 6,578 times

Advertisements

Can you tell me where this cute little neighborhood you live in is? thanks C
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 01:29 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,386,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
And last month you said you were going to Portland......
Is Portland like the show Portlandia?

Old 02-22-2011, 07:27 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,858,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kortiz1 View Post
Hey guys my job has offices in tampa on the 33607 area code but willing to travel 30 minutes out my job.iam moving from va to tampa around nov1 and iam wondering what are the good places to live and what are good apartments for one bedroom that is no more then $800.00
S. Tampa would be First suggestion if you are a young professional and are in the party scene. Carrollwood would be another good area.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,353 times
To continue on the theme, it depends on what you are looking for. My personal opinion - and no disrespect to those who like it here - is that I don’t like it. I’m a transplant coming on 5 years here and looking to relocate away from Tampa. I have found things to like. I have kids and the schools they are in are good, the proximity to Disney has been nice, and I did move here unemployed and found a very good paying job. I also enjoy the arts scene. It is comparable to most mid-sized US cities

But I feel it’s time to move on; Tampa Bay just isn’t ‘me.’ I moved here from Seattle and my number one complaint here is the heat. I used to run the heat in Seattle a few month of the year, and have a box fan running a month or two in the summer. In Tampa it is one dash from air-conditioned space to air-conditioned space 9-10 months of the year. I will say I really liked December and January here – when many were complaining about the cold weather (highs in the 50s-60s). But now it is February again and the approaching 10 months of summer is making me remember why I am working on that job transfer

Also, I am not really a beach person. I’ve gone a few times for the kids, but don’t really enjoy the sand and the heat.

It is also a very conservative area, which is great, if you are a conservative or are a-political.

So, if you don't mind hot sunny weather and conservative politics then Tampa Bay is fine. There are plenty of things to do; you just have to look for them. If you don’t like either of those things then I couldn’t recommend it.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:45 PM

3 posts, read 4,165 times
Default Area yu live in

Hi

I'm just curious what the area you live in? thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Absolutely love it here. Not sure what your lifestyle situation is (married, kids, etc) but I'm married with 3 kids, 8 and under. The school's where my kids go are great. The neighborhood I live in is a bedroom community, meaning everyone is friendly and there is pretty much no crime to speak of. Even though I commute 45 minutes each way for my job I run into little traffic. All of these positive aspects apply to me, because we did our best to pick a good area to live before renting the house.

We go out and do things just about every weekend and have done a ton of mini-vacations since being here. Here are some of the larger mini-vacations we have done. We moved here at the end of July.

4 Day Cruise out of Miami
1 week in the Bahamas (take discovery cruise line from Fort Lauderdale to Freeport for cheap transportation, it is a 5 hour boat ride)
3 Days at Nickelodeon Resort
2 Days at Disney
Several Days in Orlando just goofing around
Christmas Eve at the beach
Thanksgiving at the beach
Several trips to Busch Gardens and their water park
Various Concerts and entertainment shows
Various Festivals
Baseball Game
Football Game

Again, all of this since July, working full time and having kids in school.

Tampa Bay allows you to be by the water, in an area less likely to be hit by a hurricane compared to most areas in Florida and provides a cost of living much less than South Florida. From what I have seen, there is little of "keeping up with the Jones'" mentality here as well.

Like any metro area. It is going to depends greatly on where you live in the area. South Tampa is very different from Riverview. Brandon is nothing like Clearwater. Land of Lakes is nothing like St. Pete.

People may be a able to give a broad sense of what Tampa Bay is like, but it is going to depend greatly on where you live. After being here for awhile, I am positive I would not like Tampa Bay as much as I currently do had I chosen a different area in the Metro Region to live in.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:41 PM

463 posts, read 908,227 times
I don't know if I'd agree with 10 months out of the year with heat. We've been comfortable since the end of September through now, windows open, ceiling fans going.

And we're not a fan of the heat either, like to keep it around 74-75 in the house if we can.

We aren't beach people AT ALL either but we find plenty of things to do in the area. This area just isn't heat and beaches, gotta dig deeper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhunt42 View Post
T
But I feel itís time to move on; Tampa Bay just isnít Ďme.í I moved here from Seattle and my number one complaint here is the heat. I used to run the heat in Seattle a few month of the year, and have a box fan running a month or two in the summer. In Tampa it is one dash from air-conditioned space to air-conditioned space 9-10 months of the year. I will say I really liked December and January here Ė when many were complaining about the cold weather (highs in the 50s-60s). But now it is February again and the approaching 10 months of summer is making me remember why I am working on that job transfer

Also, I am not really a beach person. Iíve gone a few times for the kids, but donít really enjoy the sand and the heat.

It is also a very conservative area, which is great, if you are a conservative or are a-political.

So, if you don't mind hot sunny weather and conservative politics then Tampa Bay is fine. There are plenty of things to do; you just have to look for them. If you donít like either of those things then I couldnít recommend it.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:00 PM

15,130 posts, read 31,054,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumermarie View Post
I don't know if I'd agree with 10 months out of the year with heat. We've been comfortable since the end of September through now, windows open, ceiling fans going.

And we're not a fan of the heat either, like to keep it around 74-75 in the house if we can.

We aren't beach people AT ALL either but we find plenty of things to do in the area. This area just isn't heat and beaches, gotta dig deeper.
I agree with you, Sumermarie. There's no "10 months of summer" here - gotta roll my eyes at that one. We, too, have had our windows open with AC off since September, except for a couple cold snaps it's been absolutely perfect - 70s in the day 50s at night with medium humidity. I won't need AC again until probably mid-May.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:20 PM

28 posts, read 50,063 times
We just moved here in December from Colorado. I'm 52 still working as a nurse, my husband is 60 and is retired and plays golf. We love it here, lot's to do, great restaurants. It's february and it's spring all ready. Yes, it's hot in the summer. We bought a house with a pool just for that reason. It all depends on what you like. Sometimes you have to pick your poison and I'd rather have hot and humid if it means I never have to lift a snow shovel or drive on icy roads again. good luck!

Old 02-23-2011, 06:26 AM

662 posts, read 939,315 times
First. There is no such thing as "too Hot" (I run in the afternoon in August)
It does get Too cold here in the winter though. Anything below 70 is B.S.
My only other complaint is that we don't have good snorkeling or diving on the Gulf side.

Other than that I love it here!!

Old 02-23-2011, 07:36 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,858,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhunt42 View Post
To continue on the theme, it depends on what you are looking for. My personal opinion - and no disrespect to those who like it here - is that I donít like it. Iím a transplant coming on 5 years here and looking to relocate away from Tampa. I have found things to like. I have kids and the schools they are in are good, the proximity to Disney has been nice, and I did move here unemployed and found a very good paying job. I also enjoy the arts scene. It is comparable to most mid-sized US cities

But I feel itís time to move on; Tampa Bay just isnít Ďme.í I moved here from Seattle and my number one complaint here is the heat. I used to run the heat in Seattle a few month of the year, and have a box fan running a month or two in the summer. In Tampa it is one dash from air-conditioned space to air-conditioned space 9-10 months of the year. I will say I really liked December and January here Ė when many were complaining about the cold weather (highs in the 50s-60s). But now it is February again and the approaching 10 months of summer is making me remember why I am working on that job transfer

Also, I am not really a beach person. Iíve gone a few times for the kids, but donít really enjoy the sand and the heat.

So, if you don't mind hot sunny weather and conservative politics then Tampa Bay is fine. There are plenty of things to do; you just have to look for them. If you donít like either of those things then I couldnít recommend it.
I don't think you can compare the 'heat' in Seattle to Tampa or even FL when it rarely gets to 90 in Seattle. Many ppl don't even have AC there.

I don't know your circumstances but surely you didn't move to FL and not expect it to be hot during the summer.

No matter where you live there are ppl who hate the weather. Seattle it is the rain and no sun, in OKC it is the heat and tornadoes, in PA it is the cold and snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay