U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 01:15 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,429,696 times

Advertisements

I was raised in the Tampa Bay area so I am used to the way things are done here, but not familiar with how things are done other places. I have seen a lot of posts complaining about the lack of things to do in downtown Tampa. I was really surprised when I read these because to me downtown is where people go to work during the day and escape from at night. They go other places for their entertainment. I have lived here my entire life and never felt the need to go to downtown for entertainment. It is just the way it is in this area. Is this "need" for downtown entertainment just another way that people from other areas don't adapt to the way things are done here?

This is purely out of curiosity on my part. For some reason I see a lot of people move here because they didn't like where they were before and then try to change this area to be exactly like where they left. I know there is always room for improvement, but sometimes if you let go and let yourself adapt to the way things are done in this area you may like it more.

Public transportation is another item that seems to be brought up a lot. I don't see how public transportation could be improved around here. I have never felt the need for PT. I would rather have my car so that I can do all of my grocery shopping in one trip and not have to worry about how I am going to get my groceries for 2 weeks and my child home in the rain from the bus (or train) stop. Again, it is just the way it is done around here.

Am I missing something, or are these things brought up way too often as negatives for the area when they really don't need to be? I think of them both as positives. I wouldn't want most of our entertainment squeezed in to one area. That would just cause larger crowds than we already have at our local entertainment. I also wouldn't want to have to rely on PT to get me places. I like being able to leave my house and change my destination just because I can.

I am really wondering if I am just to used to the Tampa Bay way of things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 01:20 PM

1,389 posts, read 1,938,779 times
some people live in crowded metro areas and seek a reprieve from the madness, then go to smaller areas and pout that the conveniences of a dense urban metropolis are missing. i personally think it's hilarious.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:36 PM

5,453 posts, read 7,754,034 times
Public Transportation will never make sense here. Would it have been nice to have...yes, but in reality it is impossible due to the sprawl which is precisely why I said that all that money they want to invest in the Speed train or light rail should go to education rather than create a new way for the homeless to roam around, which is what it will become once ppl realize they STILL need a car. So, I am with you on that before even going into weather related reasons as why ppl won't use it here. I like fresh bread everyday, and not out of the freezer, out of the bakery oven. So, in my case, I am sure I am the only one with this problem... It would have been nice to walk to the store and get it rather than use my car...I've been dealing with it for the last 10 years, I'll live....

As far as the DT entertainment goes, well having lived in Fort Lauderdale, it is nice to go out DT and have unique restaurants, more refined available.....the Skyline is very nice and it looks great at night as well...so, visually speaking it would be nice to be there at night on a terrace having a great meal with an even greater Desert. All doable. Other cities in Florida, like Orlando have a Main Street...with small shops, even Tarpon has it in their small DT...same principle applies. So yes, it does seem like DT Tampa is just for work and nothing else.

No one said to squeeze all the entertainment available in DT...but the bottom of those skyscrapers can do better...
It's not a negative necessarily, of course we can all pretend DT doesn't exist and just live on our square mile...but if I have ppl coming over to see where "I live" I want to be able to show off my city and not just the beaches!

Technically all that dilapidation neighboring DT should be all the way up on those pastures in Land O Lakes, away from the center of the city...and that entire area revitalized with venues and cool things to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
I was raised in the Tampa Bay area so I am used to the way things are done here, but not familiar with how things are done other places. I have seen a lot of posts complaining about the lack of things to do in downtown Tampa. I was really surprised when I read these because to me downtown is where people go to work during the day and escape from at night. They go other places for their entertainment. I have lived here my entire life and never felt the need to go to downtown for entertainment. It is just the way it is in this area. Is this "need" for downtown entertainment just another way that people from other areas don't adapt to the way things are done here?

This is purely out of curiosity on my part. For some reason I see a lot of people move here because they didn't like where they were before and then try to change this area to be exactly like where they left. I know there is always room for improvement, but sometimes if you let go and let yourself adapt to the way things are done in this area you may like it more.

Public transportation is another item that seems to be brought up a lot. I don't see how public transportation could be improved around here. I have never felt the need for PT. I would rather have my car so that I can do all of my grocery shopping in one trip and not have to worry about how I am going to get my groceries for 2 weeks and my child home in the rain from the bus (or train) stop. Again, it is just the way it is done around here.

Am I missing something, or are these things brought up way too often as negatives for the area when they really don't need to be? I think of them both as positives. I wouldn't want most of our entertainment squeezed in to one area. That would just cause larger crowds than we already have at our local entertainment. I also wouldn't want to have to rely on PT to get me places. I like being able to leave my house and change my destination just because I can.

I am really wondering if I am just to used to the Tampa Bay way of things.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:52 PM

425 posts, read 1,087,828 times
Well one thing is for sure, some people must not practice what they preach. Most busses I see are almost empty, and there are plenty of places that are more busy than Channelside at night. While South FL may be different, other cities in FL like Jacksonville aren't different at all- very few folks go to the Jax Landing at night. People will have all sorts of excuses why these things didn't work- just watch this thread for responses The responses will be much the same when/if billions are spent on a rail system that nobody uses. I'll give you a hint... "poor execution... if it only went here or there, its ____ (fill in politician's name) fault, etc, etc, etc.)

Things were different in the early 1900's when most of these areas were built. There were no suburbs- downtown was where it was at. However, when people starting spidering out into the suburbs 5 miles, then 10 miles, and eventually 20 miles or more from the downtown centers... guess what happened?

Old 02-15-2011, 02:21 PM

494 posts, read 1,415,455 times
I think you could live downtown and probably get by without a car in Tampa, if you don't mind walking or biking to Publix. The tram can get you to Hyde Park and the trolley to Ybor. You can walk downtown and to Channelside. The buses can get you to grander shopping than Ybor if needed. There is plenty to do. Some people like that lifestyle and some don't. Nobody is forced to choose. I never relished the bus lines, but have used them plenty of times. Yes I did have a car , but I didn't use it everyday.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:21 PM

4,224 posts, read 5,675,577 times
I like a lively downtown-St. Pete, for example, has come a long way in the last few years. Of course, St. Pete has made a concentrated effort to attract things that will bring people in-some didn't work but most did. I couldn't imagine myself living in some planned suburban community where the Super WalMart is considered to be "downtown".

Old 02-16-2011, 03:53 AM

1,342 posts, read 1,705,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
some people live in crowded metro areas and seek a reprieve from the madness, then go to smaller areas and pout that the conveniences of a dense urban metropolis are missing. i personally think it's hilarious.
It is stupid indeed. I am a show me the money type. If everything is there, I stay. I am not just gonna move to some exurb and complain that its all cows and subdivisions or at least not by choice I wouldn't. If you happen to go and its not your choice, then it can happen though. But for people who choose this way of life and then ***** about it and want city things, they are sad cases.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:41 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,825,110 times
Well at one time not that long ago there use to be dept stores, restaurants and bars downtown. People did go downtown but once the dept stores closed, the restaurants no longer had business on the weekends only for lunch so they closed. Many downtowns experienced the same problem and still do. Over the years they have tried to do things to make it attractive downtown. Now a days even businesses are no longer downtown but in New Tampa, Westshore and other areas.

Can it be fixed, I think so but only if you have the ppl to participate.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:43 AM

2,602 posts, read 7,181,730 times
It's really a shame once you realize that downtown finally died just a few years before the city tried to make it cool again. The giant Maas Brothers department store held out until 1991 (it's been a vacant lot for three or four years. Progress?) and Woolworth's held on until 1992. I'm not sure why the Franklin Street Mall collapsed, but it probably has to do with people being too lazy to park and then actually have to walk a block or two to their destination.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:46 AM

5,453 posts, read 7,754,034 times
It is all because of what is around that is the biggest turn off Right Now!

Switch things around...move dilapidation north and away and you will see how ppl WILL come back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
It's really a shame once you realize that downtown finally died just a few years before the city tried to make it cool again. The giant Maas Brothers department store held out until 1991 (it's been a vacant lot for three or four years. Progress?) and Woolworth's held on until 1992. I'm not sure why the Franklin Street Mall collapsed, but it probably has to do with people being too lazy to park and then actually have to walk a block or two to their destination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or