Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 06:36 PM

89 posts, read 345,390 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to say that my daughter will be teaching in Wesley Chapel and has taken a place at Seven Oaks. The place is amazing! Best of luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 06:54 PM

975 posts, read 3,730,190 times
sounds like a great trip--I liked Tampa/St. Pete as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEMOZ View Post
We just left from a week in Tampa to officially decide if we wanted to move there. I have pros and cons plus our decision...
Cons:
1.The thunder & lightening frightened the hell out of me!! We live in Michigan and have NEVER had lightening like that! Does this only happen during hurricane season? It rained so hard on Thursday, we literally had to pull over on the highway (we were petrified!!)
2. The traffic can be unpleasant, but from reading the threads, we left the hotel AFTER traffic in the morning, and waited till afterhours to head back. However, we noticed traffic jams still existed on I-75 and I-4 even after 6:30 coming from Downtown to New Tampa area!!! The highways could be better to accomodate the 3 million+people? who commute there.
3. Downtown after 9:00pm was a ghost town. Nothing to do! I think we landed in an area with lots of restaurants that were open till around 11--I think it was Ybor city. It seemed like we were the only ones there! I would have liked to have gone to a nice diverse club on a Tuesday or Wednesday evening--but we came back home on Friday (no weekend).

Now for the Pros:
1. We stayed in The Sailport Inn on the Bay and it was a PLEASANT experience!! The views are amazing! Inexpensive hotel, close to everything--right on the water. Rooms are outdated and needs updating, but they are spacious one or two bedrooms, with balcony directly on the Bay. We loved it!

2. We were planning to visit St. Pete, Land O'Lakes, New Tampa and Carrollwood/Westchase areas. Drove toward Land O'Lakes/Zephyrhills and hated it! Too far out and country (horse ranches, etc.) New Tampa was our first stop--and we never went anywhere else!!! We spent 3 out of 4 days there--going through almost every apartment !!!! I didn't know Florida had other beautiful trees besides Palm trees! What are they????The views in New Tampa is gorgeous! We are seriously considering Seven Oaks in Wesley Chapel or The Vinings at Hunter's Green. And just a heads up--there are really good apartment specials going on right now--because alot of the apartments realized that the Condo business wasn't working--so now everyone is reverting back to apartment leases with one and two month free specials. Check it out! What I need to know is which is better between the two I mentioned (cost of living, jobs, schools, etc)? Seven Oaks has the best amenities hands down from all the apartments in that area (for children of course), and BEAUTIFUL walking trails, pools, etc. However, I kinda like Wharton High better (Hillsb. Cnty), because my children are involved in plenty sports. Any suggestions on Wesley Chapel high schools? Suggestions on why we should choose Seven Oaks opposed to Wharton area apartments/homes? Please help us decide...

3. Amongst all the above, we have decided to definitely move. We came straight home and advertised our home for Rent or sale. We loved Clearwater beach, we even landed in a mall area near the Tampa airport that we enjoyed (ate at Cheesecake Factory). The sunshine was great! Although folks complained about it being the hottest day of the summer. We had a convertible & had the top down all day! Jobs seem to be plenty, yet the downside is trying to find something near New Tampa without the commute to Downtown (terrible traffic), unfortunately, New tampa only has banks and small shopping centers (places that doesn't pay as great!). What is the nearest city (near New Tampa) that provides a variety of jobs (not downtown)????? However, New Tampa is a great place to start a small business! (because so many people are moving there).

My suggestion to those that are trying to find where to go in Tampa. Go where your lifestyle fits you most. Me, I love the surburb, lush greenery, small lakes, plenty amenities and activities in master planned communities/neighborhoods. Love to see folks bike riding, walking and/or just enjoying life. Since we never made it to the many other areas of Tampa, if you feel that the other areas that I mentioned above is just as nice, please reply (it would be worth looking into...especially for our first year there.)
Either way...we will be a Tampa residence by the end of next month!!!!!!

Good luck to those of you who are still considering your move...Those of you who live in New Tampa, please indulge me with more details!! How is the weather (what type of clothes is suitable during colder seasons)? Do you live in one of the apartments? What do you like most--what don't you like (besides Traffic)? Does your kid attend a middle or high school there, are the kids happy in this area??...tell me more...

Thanks to everyone for all the valuable advice that is posted on these threads!

Old 07-23-2007, 07:04 PM

47 posts, read 165,271 times
Poohcorner, I think I remember reading your post about finding your daughter a place to stay--because she had a job teaching??? If this is you...CONGRATS! Seven Oaks is BEAUTIFUL! My kids wasn't with us when we visited New Tampa...but If we choose Seven Oaks, the activities that they have for them will definitely blow their minds!!!
Thanks to everyone who responded! A week ago, my husband thought I was addicted to the forum...Now that he sees just how much valuable information we've learned..he reads the post with me! You guys are awesome..and this is why we are choosing Tampa opposed to South Florida. Much, much more friendlier atmospheres.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:28 AM

89 posts, read 345,390 times
Yup, Kemoz, it's me...lol. We're moving to Odessa an area called Ivy Lake Estates but my daughter will be down first so she's settling in Seven Oaks. She's really excited and will be teaching 3rd grade. Seven Oaks is full of things to do and several teachers are living there so it'll be good for her socially. I was impressed by the facilities and I've gotta say, it's like being on a vacation...lol..best of luck!

Old 07-24-2007, 08:40 AM

192 posts, read 1,164,542 times
Yeah, TampaGuy knows what he's talking about for sure!! I've never seen any suspect information in his posts and he tends to 'tell it straight' regardless of the subject.

I think you've made a great decision in moving to New Tampa. It's far enough away from the urban areas to assure a reasonable degree of safety, yet close enough to cultural centers to enjoy what Tampa has to offer.

Good luck with your move!

Tony

Old 07-24-2007, 02:09 PM

11 posts, read 29,475 times
I moved from Tampa to Seattle, WA (my own personal hell currently) and I can't WAIT to get back to Florida. Friendly people, beautiful weather, low cost of living. You'll love it. Good choice.

Old 07-24-2007, 03:29 PM

48 posts, read 243,996 times
FLOLoridagirl - Why did you move away in the first place? Did you just want to try something different? I'm up in Minneapolis and am almost sure I'm moving down to the Tampa/St. Pete area this winter/spring.

Old 07-24-2007, 04:14 PM

23 posts, read 85,967 times
I am glad to hear someone else from Michigan is moving to Tampa. I was very dissappointed today when I found out Forbes and Yahoo listed Tampa as the very worst place for a young professional to live, yes even behind Detroit. I really need to hear some positive things about moving there. I am trying to set something up where I can do a visit the first week in August. Tampa residents... please tell me something good. I am trying to find a job teaching and attend USF to get my teaching certificate.

Old 07-24-2007, 04:58 PM

11 posts, read 29,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athorson710 View Post
FLOLoridagirl - Why did you move away in the first place? Did you just want to try something different? I'm up in Minneapolis and am almost sure I'm moving down to the Tampa/St. Pete area this winter/spring.
Well, I wanted to try something different (I was 21 at the time) and go out on my own. I wanted to move somewhere where I didn't know anybody. It was fun, but I haven't really been able to make GOOD friends here in Seattle. My friend who is from Minneapolis but was living in Florida, actually joined me out in Seattle, but left because she didn't like it. Same thing- people are different than they are in Midwest/Southeast, not as friendly at all. She really liked Tampa, but it was a little hot for her (she is back in MN). We made a lot of great friends easily in Tampa.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,696 times
Hi Tampa experts, I'm flying in to Tampa airport in 2 wks on a Thursday arriving at 5:50pm. I want to get to Sarasota to stay at Lido Key. I discovered I will arrive too late for the Greyhound bus to Sarasota (last one leaves at 4:30pm). How can I get as far as I can in the general direction of Sarasota by public bus? Looks like I can get a 100X Express bus out to St Pete, all day every hour or half-hr (peak commute times every 30 min).
Can I maybe catch a bus from St Petersburg to Bradenton? Then somewhere in Bradenton get a bus to Sarasota? I'm thinking I can take short inexpensive taxi rides between far-apart bus stops to make it work. I don't care if I get to Sarasota at midnite, i figure I can get a taxi from downtown to the place I'm staying it's only 4 miles, then I can drop into bed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay