U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 10:44 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,103,626 times

Advertisements

Definitely want to stay away from the bad dry wall. I don't think the problem (dry wall) is epidemic at SCC. And lof course location is important within the community. There are a lot of very nice, newer homes there- get away from US 301 and the Sun City BLVD (574 or 674?). I prefer some of the newer homes in Kings Point. I don't think the HOA fees are that high considering all the benefits that come with the fees. What the community will look like in 20-30 yrs is beyond me, but right now, I think its very comfortable, well organized with good people elected to the Community Association.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 06:57 PM

177 posts, read 610,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ems2158 View Post
dlhanson
Thanks for the info.
I took a look at the Hillsborough County Appraiser site and saw the market values for those houses in the $50,000 range. One agent we spoke to told us "those houses were selling so low because of the traffic noise from 301." I believe the drywall is more of a problem than traffic noise.

A good home inspection will certainly be needed.
If the agent is specializes in Sun City Center, I would find a new agent. A competent agent would know about the Chinese Dry Wall, IMHO.

Seventeen home owners with CDW wrote some letters about the problems that they were having. These letters were posted on the Chinese Drywall Coordinating Groups website (I posted the link earlier).

These streets represented are:

Sifield Green Way - Kings Point 1 home
Bristol Greens Court - Kings Point 1 home

Rimini Vista Way -- 3 homes
King Leon Way -- 6 homes
Emerald Dunes Drive -- 6 homes
not stated -- 1 home

Old 02-18-2011, 10:53 PM

1,342 posts, read 1,705,382 times
I wouldn't touch SCC with a ten foot pole! You are not only far from Tampa, you move further from Sarasota too. I don't care how old one person is, you would have to be a dull person not necessarily to live there in all cases, but to buy in and be like WOW THIS PLACE IS AWESOME!

Old 02-19-2011, 05:35 AM

SCC is only 30 mins from Downtown Tampa, 20 mins from Brandon, 20 mins to Bradenton, 30 mins to St Pete. Pretty centrally located to almost everywhere worth visiting.

But far enough from most of the bad things that happen in a city (murder, robbery, hit and runs, crack deals).

I prefer to live away from that mess - I sleep better at night.

Dull? Maybe - I live near SCC and probably do more every day than most people.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:53 AM

1,335 posts, read 4,363,586 times
my parents live in kings point, the HOA is high for what u get especially if u only live there part time, they pay $420/month. u r very isolated in SCC amongst other very old people. it seems the avg age is way above 55, most appear in 80s. everything is about 30 minutes away so u spend a ton of time driving on 75 to get anywhere which becomes undesireable the older u get. SCC itself has nothing besides fast food and publix/winn dixie.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:41 PM

Its perfect for the older person. There's a lot provided for them, especially as they get older and can't drive (see door-to-door shuttle service, for instance). That $420 is much more than anyone I know that pays that. I wonder why. The area has hospitals, doctors offices, gas stations, along w/ grocery shopping, drug stores, restaurants, and of course fast food.

K.P. provides weekly bus trips to the local concerts, horse race track, mall, and other area events. All good things for the aging person that doesn't want to deal w/ crazy Tampa road rage drivers.

Thirty mins to Tampa is nothing - have you ever lived in NY, Washington, or other metro areas/larger cities. Its normal to drive a half hour to get to the heart of a city.

Isolated among old people - if you choose to. Many in SCC are retired executives, high ranking officers in the military, PhDs from universities- very quality people with expertise. Great people to get to know.

Most people have a very poor conception of SCC because they really haven't spent much time there. Of course, it's a 55+ community - you won't see many younger folks there.

In my opinion, that's a good thing.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:07 PM

177 posts, read 610,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Its perfect for the older person. There's a lot provided for them, especially as they get older and can't drive (see door-to-door shuttle service, for instance). That $420 is much more than anyone I know that pays that. I wonder why.
According to a SCC realtor website (nickigary.com), Kings Point's fees range between $300 and $600 per month. They claim on their website if you compare the cost of maintaining an home in SCC and King Point's, the cost is the same. We are not so sure about that plus we want to live in a single family home so we decided no Kings Point home for us.

I do agree that SCC is a nice place to live for an older person (median age is about 75). And the problems that have been mentioned in this thread are not widespread. Most of the development is very nice.

I can't wait to join the Tillers and Toilers Garden Club and start planting tomatoes, cucumbers, and peppers! We wish we could have done the move this spring rather than later in the summer.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:17 PM

631 posts, read 799,363 times
Due to my employment I fly into TIA on a nearly regular basis--making it convenient to visit and check-in with my parents in SCC. I believe I may have learned some valuable things being around frequently to listen and observe. I hope my insight is keener than an observer who lives nearby or dwells on wishful thinking.

That said, I could probably bore most people by listing the many superlatives of SCC. However SCC has its warts and those sore spots may make the potential resident wary.
Example-1 Prior to purchasing property in SCC the buyer is given the by-laws and rules and regulations of the respective HOA where the house is located. Most buyers are agreeable because as seniors they desire peace with common-sense R&R's giving some assurance. However not all seniors agree, so some seek out one of the properties without an HOA and some look elsewhere. Another type doesn't agree but purchases anyway--to enjoy the many benefits but breaches the R&R's.The latter is the REAL problem as many of the wholly volunteer HOA officers abandon the complying residents and have been known to ignore the offenders. Some offenders waste little time to gain a position on the HOA--most are successful and thus enforcing little and ignoring much is surely easier.The R&R book that all were given before purchasing becomes meaningless--the complying residents are often left in an expensive dilemma and/or basically powerless.

Example 2-SCC is in Hillsborough county--which is not necessarily known as an area with good law enforcement or civility. Motor vehicle law enforcement is mostly absent.
SCC is not incorporated and although the streets are county streets and maintained by the county the rules and laws concerning MV's--- parking etc. are absent as compared to an incorporated town or city. For example a resident may park their vehicle in front of your house for a indefinite time period as long as the vehicle is plated, registered and properly parked. Can most people enjoy the view of the neighbors truck in front of their house indefinitly? This is only 1 piece of the iceberg! There is more! Like parking on the sidewalk-etc etc etc.

Example-3 The poster who can't wait to join tillers & toilers may have to take a place on the waiting list as well as for a space in the RV lot, if you need one. This is the info. I got when I inquired.

They say--"beauty is in the eye of the beholder" I hope you sense beauty in this community. I also hope you do your homework before moving to SCC.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:59 AM

3,923 posts, read 10,290,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluskyz View Post
Best or Beast? Good things were frequently heard about this 55+ retirement town in the past. Now, the rumors are less than flattering with concerns about the effectiveness of the many HOA's to valid worries about declining property values. Sure, the place looks O.K. but The undercurrant is present for those considering this town for retirement.

Your thoughts and truthful observations will be appreciated. Comments please.
Maybe so, but in the past 2 months, I've referred 2 couples to a Realtor friend of mine who lives there. Both, already retired, couples were moving from South Florida. SCC must be doing something right. And Minto is still building.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:02 AM

21 posts, read 39,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlhanson View Post
According to a SCC realtor website (nickigary.com), Kings Point's fees range between $300 and $600 per month. They claim on their website if you compare the cost of maintaining an home in SCC and King Point's, the cost is the same. We are not so sure about that plus we want to live in a single family home so we decided no Kings Point home for us.
I can speak from experience since I had a home in SSC. I was paying (in round numbers) $100 for grass cutting, $100 for landscape, $75 for water per month. The condos include all of that plus exterior paint and roof. The condos cost more but not that much more when you consider the roof replacement which needs to be done about ever 12 years.
All things considered, SSC is not perfect but it is way better for retired people than nearly any other community I can think of. The pace of life is slower. The neighborhoods are quiet. There are no decent restaurants but Brandon is only 20 minutes away and I see that as a plus sinced you only have to deal with the traffic if you want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay