U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 03:08 PM

436 posts, read 965,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
What you are hoping for is exactly what we do. Except it is more like 98% in Pinellas. lol

I think it is awesome that there are to very different metropolises so close together. Each has a very different vibe and feel which I think is fantastic. This is what makes this region truly great.

I think the rivalry is humorous since both cities are so very different. St. Pete wishes it had the name recognition and big city things Tampa has. Tampa wishes it had the beaches and more of the tourist stuff St. Pete has.
I completely agree with you - the two cities are very different.

I have a feeling I'll end up doing exactly as you are (spending just about all of my time in Pinellas). It'll be nice to have Tampa just over the bridge but I probably won't go very often. I am excited to see the Lightning play, though. And, Tampa Bay's professional soccer team (FC Tampa Bay), just moved to Al Lang Stadium in St Pete, so I can get my soccer fix right in Pinellas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 03:24 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,139,619 times
Most people in Pinellas do seem to stay over here for the most part.

If something's going on over the bridge, you'll hear the whining.. "But it's aaaall the way in Taaaampa!" I am embarrassed to admit I have become one of those whiners on occasion.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:04 PM

121 posts, read 336,263 times
The drive is less than 20 minutes to St. Pete's Downtown to Tampa's Downtown. I don't mind the drive. St. Pete doesn't have that many "spots" as Tampa does, but still St. Pete has a stunning view.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:26 AM

428 posts, read 1,324,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post

I think it is awesome that there are to very different metropolises so close together. Each has a very different vibe and feel which I think is fantastic. This is what makes this region truly great.

I think the rivalry is humorous since both cities are so very different. St. Pete wishes it had the name recognition and big city things Tampa has. Tampa wishes it had the beaches and more of the tourist stuff St. Pete has.
I agree. I'm the biggest St. Pete fanboi, but I work in Tampa and come over for events on a regular basis. They both have their positives, and complement each other very well.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:04 AM

425 posts, read 1,091,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi07 View Post
Most people in Pinellas do seem to stay over here for the most part.

If something's going on over the bridge, you'll hear the whining.. "But it's aaaall the way in Taaaampa!" I am embarrassed to admit I have become one of those whiners on occasion.
The funny thing to me is that North Pinellas is more out of reach than Tampa if you live in St Pete. I've found that the things we do with little to no planning (e.g. "hey lets all go get dinner in an hour") will typically be limited to a 30 minute drive or less. From St Pete this gives us access to Tampa (e.g. Channelside, International Mall, Westshore, etc.) It also gives us access to the more southern beaches- Passe-a-Grille up to to John's Pass. It goes w/o saying that it gives us easy access to Downtown St. Pete where there are tons of options. That is a pretty incredible list of options 30 minutes from your doorstep! This is why, as a FL native, I've permanently set up shop here instead of the places I've lived before (central and north FL.)

Unfortunately it does not get us to northern Pinellas areas such as Clearwater Beach or Dunedin. I really like downtown Dunedin and Clearwater Beach as well, but traffic takes a serious toll in getting there since they are not serviced by 275 or any other limited-access road, with the exception of short sections of 19. But still, you can extend the 30 minute threshold to maybe an hour and then you get to include lots of new places, say Sarasota up to Tarpon Springs and everything in between! Heck, an hour almost brings Orlando into the picture but who the heck would want to go there with all the stuff to do so close to home? (just kidding folks, I know about the irresistibility of mickey mouse!)

Old 03-08-2011, 08:12 AM

15,211 posts, read 31,183,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjax1000 View Post
The funny thing to me is that North Pinellas is more out of reach than Tampa if you live in St Pete. I've found that the things we do with little to no planning (e.g. "hey lets all go get dinner in an hour") will typically be limited to a 30 minute drive or less. From St Pete this gives us access to Tampa (e.g. Channelside, International Mall, Westshore, etc.) It also gives us access to the more southern beaches- Passe-a-Grille up to to John's Pass. It goes w/o saying that it gives us easy access to Downtown St. Pete where there are tons of options. That is a pretty incredible list of options 30 minutes from your doorstep! This is why, as a FL native, I've permanently set up shop here instead of the places I've lived before (central and north FL.)

Unfortunately it does not get us to northern Pinellas areas such as Clearwater Beach or Dunedin. I really like downtown Dunedin and Clearwater Beach as well, but traffic takes a serious toll in getting there since they are not serviced by 275 or any other limited-access road, with the exception of short sections of 19. But still, you can extend the 30 minute threshold to maybe an hour and then you get to include lots of new places, say Sarasota up to Tarpon Springs and everything in between! Heck, an hour almost brings Orlando into the picture but who the heck would want to go there with all the stuff to do so close to home? (just kidding folks, I know about the irresistibility of mickey mouse!)
This cannot be overstated, you are so correct.^^^ Yes, you can even get down to Sarasota in 35-40 minutes depending where you are going. We have friends in northern Pinellas, and whether we lived in Sarasota or north of Tampa it was sometimes almost a two-hour drive, having to traverse the dreaded US 19 and no quick way to get there. It's a quick hop to a lot of places from St. Pete, just as it is for us from northern Sarasota (actually Manatee County).

Old 03-08-2011, 10:44 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,870,873 times
St Pete is where the ugly people live, Tampa is where the pretty people live.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:01 PM

2,602 posts, read 7,206,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
St Pete is where the ugly people live, Tampa is where the pretty people live.
That's a pretty goofy thing to say.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:12 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,870,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
That's a pretty goofy thing to say.
It is true. Go out downtown st pete on a friday night and check out the hobgoblins and gremlins that troll the establishments.

Then go to S. Tampa on a friday night and compare.

That said, the people in Tampa have far worse personalities, but if I am going out with friends, the ambience of pretty people is far more appealing than chain smoking heifers in st pete.

Ive done both places, quite a bit. I am over St Pete. Nobody takes care of themselves or dresses nice. As a single late 20s guy, my life revolves around nightlife. I am spot on with saying what I did. People in Tampa usually refer to nightlife in St Pete as "Amateur Night" (With the exception of The Venue).

Old 03-08-2011, 12:19 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,139,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjax1000 View Post

I agree with you. It seems that there is some sort of mental thing about having to drive over the bridge. I find it funny, and like I said, I catch myself doing it sometimes too.

When my kids get a bit older and I'm able to go out more I'll make a point of getting to know Tampa better. I don't know about Sarasota, because I do not like that bridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay