U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 03:52 PM

436 posts, read 965,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi07 View Post
I agree with you. It seems that there is some sort of mental thing about having to drive over the bridge. I find it funny, and like I said, I catch myself doing it sometimes too.

When my kids get a bit older and I'm able to go out more I'll make a point of getting to know Tampa better. I don't know about Sarasota, because I do not like that bridge.
I love the Sunshine Skyway! I remember visiting my then girlfriend (now wife) in Sarasota and driving over it to get to the airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 04:29 PM

15,190 posts, read 31,132,279 times
The Sunshine Skyway is one of the most absolutely beautiful drives there is! And I say this as a person who is somewhat afraid of heights and bridges! This one is not scary, just awe-inspiring!

Old 03-09-2011, 04:00 AM

61 posts, read 122,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
It is true. Go out downtown st pete on a friday night and check out the hobgoblins and gremlins that troll the establishments.

Then go to S. Tampa on a friday night and compare.

That said, the people in Tampa have far worse personalities, but if I am going out with friends, the ambience of pretty people is far more appealing than chain smoking heifers in st pete.

Ive done both places, quite a bit. I am over St Pete. Nobody takes care of themselves or dresses nice. As a single late 20s guy, my life revolves around nightlife. I am spot on with saying what I did. People in Tampa usually refer to nightlife in St Pete as "Amateur Night" (With the exception of The Venue).
Got the answer finally...that's what I wanted to ask but ended up being too careful with my wording as to not offend anyone.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:49 AM

436 posts, read 965,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostintime83 View Post
Got the answer finally...that's what I wanted to ask but ended up being too careful with my wording as to not offend anyone.
IMO, South Tampa is way overrated. Take a look around once you're in the area.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:37 AM

15,190 posts, read 31,132,279 times
Quote:
Please remember not everyone likes the same thing or feels the same way. This board is all about opinions, so the very things one person finds appealing will seem abhorrent to another.

There are a lot of nice family neighborhoods in south Tampa, it is by no means all completely pretentious as some posters would have you believe - I have relatives who have lived there for years, and they are as normal and un-pretentious as you can get. The pretentiousness seems to be centered on Hyde Park/SoHo.

We live in Sarasota now(which we love), but personally enjoy the atmosphere in downtown St. Pete more - we aren't "party people", we like nice restaurants and a beautiful tropical waterfront setting, and the Bohemian atmosphere - we personally enjoy "people-watching" and like seeing all kinds of characters.

The great thing is, there seems to be something for everyone here in the Tampa Bay area.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:41 AM

1,342 posts, read 1,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
Tampa is more redneck and filled with billboards and does not have the culture or unique downtown areas that St. Petersburg has. St. Petersburg downtown has Art museums, cafes, clubs, and other restaurants, bars, shops, theaters, Libraries and offerings. Tampa has Ybor City, but that is about it and it is small as a your thumb and caters to the college crowd. St. Petersburg is clean and the streets are unique and landscaped. Some parts of Tampa are nice areas, but I prefer St. Pete. Plus you have the wonderful beaches and the festivals on the beach, etc. If you are into all the spectator sports and BS you will love Tampa.
To me, I think both cities can cater to younger people if your in Ybor. To me Ybor isnt filled with too many rednecks and has a hipster crowd and it is more hopping than downtown St Pete. Downtown St Pete however has more going at night than Downtown Tampa does. Citywise both are good in my opinion. Anyone agree or not? Also most of the sports teams are in Tampa so it seems like more of a hub for sports than St Pete. St Pete seems much more geared towards art. Even Sarasotas art scene might even beat Tampas. The Tampa music scene however seems to be the BEST.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Agreed. The thing is, St. Pete has that Bohemian vibe in a tropical setting that I just love. I guess people are either into that or not. Tampa looks/feels more gritty and urban. South Tampa is most definitely more yuppie, and not boho. Ybor USED to be more bohemian, now it has morphed into a more "edgier" type of vibe that I don't like as much, while Central Ave. in St. Pete has become more artsy and eclectic.

So it really just depends on what one prefers. Frankly, I hope St. Pete stays the way it is. I don't live there, but we visit a lot, and it's possible we could move there one day. I don't want it to be hugely "discovered" with developers knocking down all the beautiful old architecture. This is one city that has kept it's treasures -not one but TWO beautiful old "pink palaces," (Vinoy and DonCesar!) to name a couple. And the new architecture is fantastic as well (Dali Museum anyone?) My husband and I find it inspiring in every way.
So years ago, Ybor had actual hippies with VW busses?
And fast forward to today, when you mean edgier, you mean Hipsters or fancier coffee shops? Ritz Theatre maybe?
If this is the case, it seems like those ex Ybor hippies moved themselves into St Pete as Ybor became more "douchey" maybe. If that sounds right.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
I've just gotten the impression Tampa has more "stylish" people and fashion/appearance generally matter more in South Tampa than downtown St. Pete.

I could be wrong as well. In terms of architecture, St. Pete does sound more interesting.
South Tampa to me seems nice and historic looking, but at the same time seems douchey and snobby with all their top notch stores. It doesn't interest me in the least or the shopping for sure doesnt.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
What you are hoping for is exactly what we do. Except it is more like 98% in Pinellas. lol

I think it is awesome that there are to very different metropolises so close together. Each has a very different vibe and feel which I think is fantastic. This is what makes this region truly great.

I think the rivalry is humorous since both cities are so very different. St. Pete wishes it had the name recognition and big city things Tampa has. Tampa wishes it had the beaches and more of the tourist stuff St. Pete has.
OR St Pete wishes it has Tampas bigger music scene or NPR even or better yet, CIGAR CITY or a brewery.

Tampa wishes it had the arts that St Pete does as well since Tampa doesn't seem to have an art scene really.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
St Pete is where the ugly people live, Tampa is where the pretty people live.
I suppose its possible. South Tampa has the "hotties" right? BUT.. BUT.. are their personalities good? I highly doubt it. Same can go for men too.

I will take hipster St Pete girls who might have less in the looks department if it means they will be more loyal and charming in other ways.

I lean more in the St Pete male category and am less like the typical male rolling around Hyde Park area. Like attracts like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay