Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 11:45 AM

24 posts, read 63,789 times

Advertisements

I am mainly debating between these two areas to move into. Does anyone have any insight on housing prices/availability in the two areas? What is the nightlife like compared to each other? And also, is one or the other better for a younger/more social crowd?

Housing seems to be all over the place in terms of cost in the St. Petersburg area, but I have to admit that I like the style of housing around here, both apartment wise and house wise. I'm not so sure what it's like in Tampa. Any thoughts?

I've spent some time downtown St. Petersburg after the sun goes down, it's been a lot of fun. Is it comparable to Tampa? Is one better than the other?

I appreciate the help, any other useful (or useless) information you want to throw in, feel free!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 01:35 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,830,906 times
Tampa is more redneck and filled with billboards and does not have the culture or unique downtown areas that St. Petersburg has. St. Petersburg downtown has Art museums, cafes, clubs, and other restaurants, bars, shops, theaters, Libraries and offerings. Tampa has Ybor City, but that is about it and it is small as a your thumb and caters to the college crowd. St. Petersburg is clean and the streets are unique and landscaped. Some parts of Tampa are nice areas, but I prefer St. Pete. Plus you have the wonderful beaches and the festivals on the beach, etc. If you are into all the spectator sports and BS you will love Tampa.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:20 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
I disagree that Tampa is 'redneck' but I do agree that St. Pete has a better downtown area for many after hours activities. S. Tampa is about the only place that is close to it. Hyde Park and SoHo have dinning and bars with some expensive shopping.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:33 AM
BBI

490 posts, read 940,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatli1aj View Post
I am mainly debating between these two areas to move into. Does anyone have any insight on housing prices/availability in the two areas? What is the nightlife like compared to each other? And also, is one or the other better for a younger/more social crowd?
You need to dig a little deeper than "Tampa" and "St. Petersburg." Those are big areas, each of which includes very diverse neighborhoods. Generalizations across all of Tampa or all of St. Pete aren't going to be helpful. For example, Tampa may well be more "redneck" than St. Pete on average (I hadn't noticed), but it has plenty of neighborhoods that are quite the opposite.

There are a lot of homes for sale/rent in every neighborhood in the bay area; availability is not an issue.

If you want to be near nightlife in Tampa, you should look at South Tampa, close to South Howard Ave, which folks here call "SoHo." Based solely on my observations, there are more young people in South Tampa than St. Pete, and South Tampa has more nightlife targeted at younger folks than St. Pete does (U of Tampa is there, and I think that's a big influence). In addition, the vibe in South Tampa is different than in St. Pete: it doesn't have the "beach vacation" feel that St. Pete does. You should also be aware that living in/around downtown St. Pete and commuting to Tampa would not be fun. I'm not sure if or where you'd be working, but if you would be working in Tampa, like most folks in the bay area, you should seriously consider neighborhoods on the east side of the bay.

The other Tampa neighborhood with a lot of nightlife is Ybor. I went there once; seemed like a lot of clubs and early 20-somethings. I'm married and pushing 30, so that's not my scene. No idea on your age/marital status, or whether you'd be interested in Ybor, but I'm sure you can search this forum for lots of Ybor information.

Housing prices depend on the neighborhood. Generally, South Tampa is more expensive than anywhere in St. Pete. I'd guess that Ybor is inexpensive (the neighborhood seems much poorer than South Tampa). In St. Pete, housing prices are most expensive in the neighborhoods are north of downtown and east of 4th St and cheapest in the poorer neighborhoods in south St. Pete.

There was a long thread on South Tampa versus northeast St. Pete that could be useful to you.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:33 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
I agree with Keeper; Tampa is definitely not redneck, I should know, I am Spanish and I grew up there.

OK, Tampa and St. Pete are two different animals as far as entertainment and nightlife. St. Pete does have a beautiful downtown, and that is basically where all the entertainment is concentrated, but outside of that you won't find much.

In Tampa, not so much downtown, but has several entertainment districts spread out; such as Channelside, Ybor, near Westshore, and south Tampa. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:44 AM

5 posts, read 22,501 times
Default I disagree in general

I grew up in Ft. Lauderdale. I'm in my late 20s and have lived my entire life here in FL. I still have family in Ft. Lauderdale and I know the area well. Though were not discussing Ft. Lauderdale or South Florida in general. I've also lived most of my late 20s in downtown St. Pete on Central/16th st. I absolutely loved living in the city. I miss having Tropicana Field in my back yard. Well.. Sometimes. Point being.. Pinellas County is full of diversity, ethnic neighborhoods including large Vietmanese communities among other ethnicities. Tampa more or less has a very hispanic influence. Its rare to hear a conversation being spoken in English in certain parts of S. Tampa. I don't mean that in a good, bad, or indifferent way. In regards to Tampa being the armpit of Florida 15 years ago it would be hard to argue against that assessment but certain groups of people, such as white people who enjoy drinking cheap beer, smoking some meth, and live off the fruitful tax base revenue of the middle class who comprise most of the major urban areas of Tampa. Going back to St. Pete/Clearwater (Pinellas County) I've always felt more as if I'm in South Florida. Whether its the Royal Palm Trees, landscaping dominated via tropical theme, or maybe its the fact its basically as if your living on a big island, close to beaches etc. That's Florida to me. However speaking of living on an island Safety Harbor isnt to shabby. Small island located adjacent to downtown Tampa, SW side. If its good enough for Derek Jeter it should be good enough for you. I'm all over the place but when I was in my young 20s I thought living on campus at USF was the best thing ever so maybe you should consult with somebody a bit more sophisticated. I settled down in Downtown St. Pete, 2 story loft on Central. I wanted to live there forever but I felt isolated from family and friends. Living downtown St. Pete is like being prisoner of the city, however its not a bad place to be stuck if that makes any sense. I'm in transition of moving out of my small apt in the heart of South Tampa to a home of moderate size in Seminole Heights. I see a future gold mine. Screw how squaint and cozy and homey, kindness of neighbors. A "home" is nothing but a piece of property, an object to be objectefied, compared and critiqued and ultimately has 70% influence of your overall wealth. Income and wealth don't necessarily cooincide. No risk. No reward. I see Seminole Heights one day as a desirable location that one wish "If he/she had only made the move way back when" The time is now Tampa. A lot of S. Tampa is homes the size of my sunroom and property space of a modern subdivision. Take the risk. Even if you have children.. They will thank you one day. Even if they have to endure the occassional a** beating here and there. Tampa takes the prize as far as getting drunk on a day of the week that ends with "day". No doubt. Hell, Pinellas stops selling alcohal at 2. Thats reason enough to avoid the over- inflated cost of living there. Avoid South Side St. Pete like the plaugue.. Its truly a 3rd world country within pockets of millionairs. 3 officers killed in 3 months. Makes you wonder why its never the County Sherrifs Officers. Training or environment. Knowing what I know, see above. Its so ghetto you cant pump your gass without say a "propisition" of some sort. Besides the nightly gunshots from a far in st. pete I cant say ive had any problems. I've been in more fights than I'd like to admit in Ybor. I probably started most of them but its a rough crowd anymore. Parents consider USF's appeal to Ybor. Its nothing but trouble. Sorry board my ADHD is getting the best of me. Did I mention the drug problem in both Pinellas/Tampa?? Now where's my Adderall?? Speaking of Rx.. Central Florida is the epicenter of prescription narcotics. Good for some, better for others, devestating for many. Other than all that come one, come all...

Old 03-02-2011, 07:17 AM

463 posts, read 1,052,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Jayz View Post
I... Tampa more or less has a very hispanic influence. Its rare to hear a conversation being spoken in English in certain parts of S. Tampa. I don't mean that in a good, bad, or indifferent way. ... all...
I must live in different South Tampa than you because i never had a problem with my English. Yes you can heard occasional Spanish conversation but its fairly rare. But then again maybe I'm in a wrong part of S. Tampa.
PS. Paragraphs are your friend

to OP, i like living in South Tampa, i have fairly nice condo, fairly close to SOHO if i want to go out, but quiet enough if i want to spend Friday or Saturday night at home relaxing. It takes me 10-25 minutes to reach most of my destination if i need to go somewhere and downtown is only 15 minutes away. But i do work in Tampa so St. Pete was out of question. Come visit South Tampa and see for yourself if it's worth for you to come down.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:23 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,304,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewas View Post
I must live in different South Tampa than you because i never had a problem with my English. Yes you can heard occasional Spanish conversation but its fairly rare. But then again maybe I'm in a wrong part of S. Tampa.
PS. Paragraphs are your friend

to OP, i like living in South Tampa, i have fairly nice condo, fairly close to SOHO if i want to go out, but quiet enough if i want to spend Friday or Saturday night at home relaxing. It takes me 10-25 minutes to reach most of my destination if i need to go somewhere and downtown is only 15 minutes away. But i do work in Tampa so St. Pete was out of question. Come visit South Tampa and see for yourself if it's worth for you to come down.
Exactly. I wonder what South Tampa he's living in. I would go as far as to say that out of any part of Tampa, South Tampa is the place where you would least likely hear Spanish. Just look at the demographics.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:40 PM

61 posts, read 135,370 times
Tampa seems to be the "sexier" of the two.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:42 AM

121 posts, read 385,685 times
That really depends on what part of town you are living in Tampa or St. Petersburg. St. Petersburg downtown and Centeral Ave. is really becoming a hipster paradise. However, Tampa's Hydepark/Soho district is becoming more of a yuppie paradise. Tampa does has more amenities than St. Petersburg does since it much larger in scope. If you live in Soho or near downtown Tampa the commute to St. petersburg downtown is less than 15 minutes away if you are speedy. Personally, St. Peterburg downtown is really beautiful, but doesn't have the diversity of people of Tampa. In the end, you have to go yourself to experience what you like.

Last edited by starwins; 03-03-2011 at 06:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay