Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 10:53 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRain View Post
So years ago, Ybor had actual hippies with VW busses?
And fast forward to today, when you mean edgier, you mean Hipsters or fancier coffee shops? Ritz Theatre maybe?
If this is the case, it seems like those ex Ybor hippies moved themselves into St Pete as Ybor became more "douchey" maybe. If that sounds right.
I never said hippies, I said Bohemian - as in artists of all kinds, vintage clothing shops, coffee shops, used records and books, etc. - all in the pre-restored historic buildings. Some of them could have been hippies I guess.

The last time I was in Ybor, it seemed to have a mixed vibe - part "biker" scene, part upscale, and a touch of goth thrown in, just weird to me. I was only there in the daytime to eat lunch, however. Just my impression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 10:53 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,067,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
It is true. Go out downtown st pete on a friday night and check out the hobgoblins and gremlins that troll the establishments.

Then go to S. Tampa on a friday night and compare.

That said, the people in Tampa have far worse personalities, but if I am going out with friends, the ambience of pretty people is far more appealing than chain smoking heifers in st pete.

Ive done both places, quite a bit. I am over St Pete. Nobody takes care of themselves or dresses nice. As a single late 20s guy, my life revolves around nightlife. I am spot on with saying what I did. People in Tampa usually refer to nightlife in St Pete as "Amateur Night" (With the exception of The Venue).
I'd want no part of South Tampa on a friday night then. Give me St Pete. I will take the more artsy, attractive but not glamorous types there anyday. It looks like you truly base your life around image and looks. Although you do notice that people in Tampa do have worse personalities so thats a start. I'd be around less pretty people indeed if its less of a nuissance but it seems like you dont even wanna.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:56 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,067,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbillyx View Post
IMO, South Tampa is way overrated. Take a look around once you're in the area.

I 100% agree. Although charming, I cant bear the thoughts of having those fancy high end stores near my house. It might as well be a cookie cutter run of the mill kind of place in mentality. One time I was behind a taxi cab in South Tampa.. Its a funny story but here goes...
The people in the taxi getting out of it were taking their sweet time. I yelled out the window something like, "Oh, he took his sweet time just to drop you off". Then the uptight *******s they were were like Shut the **** up! instead of laughing it off. Thats why I did it too because I had the feeling they mighta been South Tampa douches. It was so funny.

If I were to live in South Tampa, I'd wanna be closer to Channelside, not the high end stores out there in that square.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:05 AM

436 posts, read 1,121,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRain View Post
I 100% agree. Although charming, I cant bear the thoughts of having those fancy high end stores near my house. It might as well be a cookie cutter run of the mill kind of place in mentality. One time I was behind a taxi cab in South Tampa.. Its a funny story but here goes...
The people in the taxi getting out of it were taking their sweet time. I yelled out the window something like, "Oh, he took his sweet time just to drop you off". Then the uptight *******s they were were like Shut the **** up! instead of laughing it off. Thats why I did it too because I had the feeling they mighta been South Tampa douches. It was so funny.

If I were to live in South Tampa, I'd wanna be closer to Channelside, not the high end stores out there in that square.
To each his/her own, but I don't even find South Tampa appealing. There's not much of anything there. South Howard is extremely overrated. When I visited, I just couldn't believe I was in the area everyone was speaking of so highly.

I guess that's why there are different places. Everyone has different taste. If we didn't, everything would look the same.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:22 PM

39 posts, read 40,531 times
So to sum up:

St Pete: Hobgoblins and gremlins.
Tampa: Werewolves and vampires.

Zombies live in the suburbs, I'm guessing.

(Delurking just to say hello, and thank the posters here for their various opinions, in this thread and others. I'm yet another person considering a move to the TBA, and probably like what I hear about St Pete better than Tampa--bohemian-ness sounds nice to me, as does artsyness--I mean there's a freaking Dali Museum there!--and I don't really care about nightlife. Plus St Pete, at least in the Old Northeast, is supposed to be the closest the area has to actual urban, walkable living.)

Old 03-09-2011, 01:14 PM

428 posts, read 1,243,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tan clutch View Post
So to sum up:

St Pete: Hobgoblins and gremlins.
Tampa: Werewolves and vampires.

Zombies live in the suburbs, I'm guessing.
HA! Might be the best first post ever. Good one. Welcome to the board. The nice thing about a board like this is you get so many different perspectives. Everyone likes different things so you really have to listen to all sides and at some point just jump in and experience things for yourself.

Renting in a couple different areas on a short term basis (month or so) is the best thing you could ever do. After just a month or so you such insight into an area, assuming you are able to get out and explore and take it all in.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:54 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,830,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Please remember not everyone likes the same thing or feels the same way. This board is all about opinions, so the very things one person finds appealing will seem abhorrent to another.

There are a lot of nice family neighborhoods in south Tampa, it is by no means all completely pretentious as some posters would have you believe - I have relatives who have lived there for years, and they are as normal and un-pretentious as you can get. The pretentiousness seems to be centered on Hyde Park/SoHo.

We live in Sarasota now(which we love), but personally enjoy the atmosphere in downtown St. Pete more - we aren't "party people", we like nice restaurants and a beautiful tropical waterfront setting, and the Bohemian atmosphere - we personally enjoy "people-watching" and like seeing all kinds of characters.

The great thing is, there seems to be something for everyone here in the Tampa Bay area.
I am not a partier either and think I would love St. Pete as I am a bohemian, writer and sociologist. I find Tampa a very odd and interesting place. You have rednecks, then you have upscale suburbs where the craziness is behind closed doors until it hits the news. I refer to the rich nut who killed her two teenagers in New Tampa. I noticed a hodpodge of characters there and it does make it interesting. To me it is a lot like the Carl Haissen novels.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:30 PM

436 posts, read 1,121,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tan clutch View Post
(Delurking just to say hello, and thank the posters here for their various opinions, in this thread and others. I'm yet another person considering a move to the TBA, and probably like what I hear about St Pete better than Tampa--bohemian-ness sounds nice to me, as does artsyness--I mean there's a freaking Dali Museum there!--and I don't really care about nightlife. Plus St Pete, at least in the Old Northeast, is supposed to be the closest the area has to actual urban, walkable living.)
Bingo. St Pete definitely seems to be the most walkable area in Tampa Bay. That's a major reason I'm going with St Pete.

Where would you be moving from?

Old 03-09-2011, 10:24 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,304,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbillyx View Post
Bingo. St Pete definitely seems to be the most walkable area in Tampa Bay. That's a major reason I'm going with St Pete.

Where would you be moving from?
Just keep in mind that only a very small portion of the city is walkable. North and South St. Pete are basically rows of 50s-70s homes and neighborhoods that could be Anytown, USA.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:49 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,309,108 times
I agree DTSP is more walkable than anywhere in the bay area, but as previously stated by ferret, it is a very small area, larger than SoHo with more options, but the options arent as good as SoHo IMO. Taking the people out of the equation, it is a toss up, DTSP coming out slightly ahead of Tampa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay