U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 11:34 AM

1,824 posts, read 7,619,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHBR702 View Post
What is the typical commute time from Riverview to Downtown Tampa in best and worst cases (i.e. rush hour AND non-rush hour?) It is realistic that someone would purchase a home in Riverview and commute to Downtown daily?
My Aunt and Uncle both work downtown Tampa and live in Riverview, it is very normal, and many do that commute. It is about a 20 min drive with no traffic, they leave around 7am, and get home around 430pm. The Crosstown/Selmon Expsy elevated portion was recently opened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 11:36 AM

291 posts, read 1,023,101 times
Thanks, Tampaguy. That sounds like a very do-able commute!

Old 08-01-2007, 07:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,314 times
Honestly, there are good deals depending on the areas you look. however, it is getting more and more expensive to live in the areas where you work and teach. As a 6 year home owner we bought a fixer upper in Pinellas County that was a great deal. Now, we cannot afford to stay here AND allow for our family to grow in size. If I was going to Oldsmar, or Valrico, or a smaller town, I might be able to swing it.. however, I work in education, and my husband works in mental health, and the pay in Florida is pathetic. Old people retire here, and claim they paid there taxes for those things up north, and vote for whoever benefits their medicare needs the most.
As we look to relocate I am finding that I can get much more house that what I would pay here. Just depends on what area.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:12 PM

111 posts, read 549,950 times
Your commute wouldn't be a prob at all. I work with folks that live in Riverview and work on Davis Islands and they don't complain.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:54 PM

3,986 posts, read 8,611,567 times
AFter the tax exemption passes in 2008 it will turn to a seller market again, driving prices back up!

Yeah, just like the insurance session fixed the insurance problems. Ha! My insurer immediately starting reducing its exposure in FL, and that's just not something USAA does on a regular basis. When they pull back or pull out, you know it's bad.

Consider renting and ride out the market for a bit. There are some very good rental deals out there, and you don't have to worry about insurance and taxes. It will also give you a chance to find the area you like best before you buy.

Old 08-05-2007, 07:03 PM

7 posts, read 32,472 times
The Crosstown Expressway is probably the most effecient way to commute to downtown. During rush hour, there's an express lane that's actually a bridge that changes directions during the rush hour. Commute times to downtown is very short using the Expressway, about 10 - 20 minutes once you're on the expressway.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:11 AM

174 posts, read 615,950 times
If you have an option go elsewhere we have been here for two years and it has been a horrible experience. Now I know why people move here and then go elsewhere several years later....as I tell everyone who asks it is a mirage from the heat.....it's a nice play to visit (well you know the adage).
It has one of the worst housing markets, don't you think there is a reason people aren't staying or coming anymore??????

Old 08-06-2007, 10:39 AM

112 posts, read 449,219 times
You can move down here if you make 100k a year. Then you won't have any worries. And you can give all your money to the Gov't and insurance companies.

I am middle class, Atleast I like to think I am... And I can't wait to sell my condo and MOVE OUT OF FLORIDA. It is too expensive to live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or