Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2013, 05:28 AM

35,427 posts, read 20,812,644 times

Advertisements

A step back to move forward sometimes is a very good thing to do, been there n done that- hope it works out.. I consider myself a "tropical person" as I put it --and need my outdoors, My DR told me my Vita " D" drops below bottom in winter,,,and I get fat, achy, miserable, depressed etc and have to pop 4 vita pills a day.. no wonder I do so good in the summer time-- SO- come back to the " light"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 05:47 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,815,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher23 View Post
All the positive posts on here were very uplifting for me since i plan on trying to make my way down to Tampa this fall, all goes if i secure a job there first. But i have also come to the realization of what to expect there, i can pretty much guarantee i'm going to be getting a smaller salary amongst other things than what i make up here in the midwest, but i'm willing to sacrifice a little cash to live not only a more active life, but a place where the sun shines everyday unlike the many grey sky days we have in Cleveland. Its actually more depressing than anything
I'm an outdoor person, and an active person, but I only get a few months of outdoors here since the winters seem to last longer and longer anymore. Although there are many things that scare me about FL, i'm willing to take a chance and try my hardest to succeed as a young professional and not to land hard on my a$$
Sometimes you gotta take a step back to move forward, am i'm fine with that
Quote:
Originally Posted by asimegusta View Post
Then you will definitely find your place here. It is great for being outdoors and active. Good luck!
You wrote about me, lol. But insert Massachusetts for Cleveland.

I had a dream last night that I was finally down there and got my first glimpse of the gorgeous beaches and remeber saying - in my dream - this feels like a dream it's so beautiful. Then I woke up.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:55 AM

484 posts, read 758,375 times
I moved here in 1999 from CT, and couldn't believe my luck. I was approved for a job transfer so I didn't much worry about employment (although I took a pretty big paycut). Everything was perfect - especially being able to afford to purchase my first house (and I was 24 at the time!).

Several years later my husband was having difficulty finding work in state, so he took one in Kansas :\ and we moved there. After 3 years it was pretty clear we made a bit of a mistake and he took a job in Houston (we figured hey.. sun and closer to the water ). Life for a year was pretty good there, but it just wasn't a great fit. He bargained with his current employer to work from home, we packed up and moved "home". We have been back in Tampa for a year and a half and have to pinch ourselves :P. Tampa has its problems, but its pretty darn perfect for us

Old 04-08-2013, 12:24 PM

770 posts, read 1,126,989 times
The Tampa Bay area is wonderful, not perfect mind you, but has something for everyone. Orginally from NYC, but have lived in many states and settled in FL. Lived in Tallahassee for a while, and while it was nice, was too far from the beach and a tad too cool in the winters. I have lived in both Tampa and in Pinellas county and both are great places to live. I am outdoors so much more now and enjoy the moderate weather. If I want snow, I will put in a Blueray of White Christmas and watch it while drinking an ice cold beer.

Also a plus, you have some of College Football's biggest powerhouses in the state, FSU, Gators, Hurricanes and someday maybe USF's Bulls.

Bottomline: Move here! Best.

Webster Ave Guy
Formerly of the once Beautiful Bronx

Old 04-08-2013, 05:00 PM

7 posts, read 8,922 times
Tampa is probably the best place i have ever lived..!! I moved there becuase of the Air Force but i found so much out of life in that city. I was born in DC live Charlotte for a while. I moved back to New Jersey the New York for a few months and now I'm in Cincinnati and this place is not how i want to live life. So.. God willing I will continue my Floridian residencey in May. Best place to live hands down. Always something to do and somewhere to go enjoy the SunShine state!

Old 04-09-2013, 10:01 AM

18 posts, read 74,322 times
My wife and I recently relocated to South Tampa from the Houston Heights area in Houston, TX. So far, it's been a good experience. Besides the dry cleaning being 3x's the price, increase gas cost, and banana's being more expensive, it's nice here!

Old 04-09-2013, 12:00 PM

Tampa has natural beauty... just needs a little tweaking for the towns folks to become more city minded inside the metro area. I fell safe here, and weather is great

Old 04-12-2013, 12:36 PM

1,818 posts, read 1,524,598 times
I got some of my fellow CD posters angry with me when I mentioned a few things negative things about Tampa in another post so I thought I would balance it out with what I love about Tampa:
- It is SO green! (OK, I lived in the desert for 15 years) Things grow very easily here.
- The trees, we have the coolest trees from the giant ones with moss hanging from them to the tall skinny pines, they are beautiful.
- We have so many wonderful beaches to choose from and you can always find a great spot that is not crowded.
- Great parks and places to wander in the woods.
- Many dog friendly places from parks to outdoor restaurants
- Great weather (for me anyway..)
- The giant birds, I am still learning the different types but the Osprey wandering around my neighborhood make my day
- The Straz Center for the Performing Arts - Great shows and performances
- No income tax in Florida
- There are a lot of happy people here who are living here on purpose. In many parts of the country it's hard to find people who have purposely chosen to live where they do. They were just born there or jobs took them there and they don't have the drive or where with all to leave.

-

Old 04-12-2013, 04:59 PM

877 posts, read 1,905,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2kmugen View Post
My wife and I recently relocated to South Tampa from the Houston Heights area in Houston, TX. So far, it's been a good experience. Besides the dry cleaning being 3x's the price, increase gas cost, and banana's being more expensive, it's nice here!
I agree, the dry cleaning prices are ridiculous!

Old 04-12-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garson View Post
I got some of my fellow CD posters angry with me when I mentioned a few things negative things about Tampa in another post so I thought I would balance it out with what I love about Tampa:
- It is SO green! (OK, I lived in the desert for 15 years) Things grow very easily here.
- The trees, we have the coolest trees from the giant ones with moss hanging from them to the tall skinny pines, they are beautiful.
- We have so many wonderful beaches to choose from and you can always find a great spot that is not crowded.
- Great parks and places to wander in the woods.
- Many dog friendly places from parks to outdoor restaurants
- Great weather (for me anyway..)
- The giant birds, I am still learning the different types but the Osprey wandering around my neighborhood make my day
- The Straz Center for the Performing Arts - Great shows and performances
- No income tax in Florida
- There are a lot of happy people here who are living here on purpose. In many parts of the country it's hard to find people who have purposely chosen to live where they do. They were just born there or jobs took them there and they don't have the drive or where with all to leave.

-
lot of happy people here
not too sure about that one,,, work with the public and the old geezers here are the meanest I have ever seen ,,, and I am from Miami - the original winter snow bird wonderland. Miami's elderly are alot happier,, party (OMG) very active -and more open minded,,, maybe cause they are city folks? I do not know,,,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay