Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 08:20 AM

472 posts, read 547,600 times

Advertisements

Moved here coming up on 4 yrs now from north Texas to escape the cold winter (yes it's cold there too). Before that I was in NoVA/DC area that's about to get slammed with 2 ft of snow so I'm happy to be here and not deal with that mess in winters. This forum provided lots of invaluable information during the year or so research that we did from afar.

Still love it here even more so than when we first came. Normal life has long settled in and frankly it's just like living anywhere else with the daily job grind, commute, bills, school, sports, activities. The biggest benefit to us tho is the nice weather for outdoor living year round. There's also the nice option of flipping on "vacation mode" and go play tourists at the various vacation attractions nearby on a whim. I'm even getting better at not bragging about how nice and warm it is in Florida to my friends and family that are freezing their butt off at other places. Still working on that thinly veiled sarcasm when I complain that it's "cold" when the temp drops below 60 tho (it really is!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 07:47 PM

208 posts, read 170,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiepoke View Post
I'm even getting better at not bragging about how nice and warm it is in Florida to my friends and family that are freezing their butt off at other places. Still working on that thinly veiled sarcasm when I complain that it's "cold" when the temp drops below 60 tho (it really is!).
Ha! Ha! I can see how it is hard to refrain from "gloating" to your friends and family you left up north, when you see how rough the winters are in your former state of residence! Most of the country right now has either been in a snow storm, is in one or is bracing for one...We are expecting a blizzard with 6 inches to 1 foot by sunday!! I know that tons of transplants living in Tampa/St Pete are very relieved right now!

Old 01-28-2016, 07:12 AM

30 posts, read 53,604 times
My wife and I are considering making this same move from DC to Tampa for many of the same reasons most posters have posted over the last couple years. Our biggest reserve is family. All of our family live here in DC and it's hard to imagine leaving them, yet we are miserable here. The rat race, the grind, the traffic, the worsening winters, the taxes, the cost of living, etc. Can anyone give us some encouragement on the family side of things? Our plan is to (obviously) always have an open door for whoever wants to visit and come back every summer and at least Thanksgiving or Christmas. All words are appreciated. Thanks!

Old 01-28-2016, 07:28 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,585,128 times
Trust me when I say family will not be a problem except you will need to get a bigger house. Once you move down to Florida you will become the default destination for all your family's vacations. I actually see some family members more, now that we moved, then before.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:04 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,899,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
Trust me when I say family will not be a problem except you will need to get a bigger house. Once you move down to Florida you will become the default destination for all your family's vacations. I actually see some family members more, now that we moved, then before.
Plus, many times family members will start following you down and move here.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:02 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintcharlie View Post
My wife and I are considering making this same move from DC to Tampa for many of the same reasons most posters have posted over the last couple years. Our biggest reserve is family. All of our family live here in DC and it's hard to imagine leaving them, yet we are miserable here. The rat race, the grind, the traffic, the worsening winters, the taxes, the cost of living, etc. Can anyone give us some encouragement on the family side of things? Our plan is to (obviously) always have an open door for whoever wants to visit and come back every summer and at least Thanksgiving or Christmas. All words are appreciated. Thanks!
I think direct flights are about 2 hrs. Seems like a quick trip for you or family members every 6 months or so.

Old 01-28-2016, 01:03 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,247,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintcharlie View Post
Good Luck

Old 01-28-2016, 07:16 PM

473 posts, read 544,124 times
Be careful about posting positivity about relocating to Tampa. I did that this past summer, talked about everything we loved about Florida and was chastised for it. So many people were attacking me they ended up closing down the thread.

What I dislike about Florida so far !!!

Old 01-28-2016, 09:39 PM

62 posts, read 98,039 times
Here's one for the DC folks: I escaped the blizzard, flying out of DCA on a last-minute $100 ticket on Thurs., before they started closing the airports. And today I'm back, having avoided all that mess. The plane left @ 1:25pm, and I was literally back home in Northern VA, unpacking the suitcase a few minutes before 4pm. Flights are cheap/quick, and everyone will be visiting you to escape the winter weather!!!

Old 01-28-2016, 09:56 PM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,524,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrudy View Post
Be careful about posting positivity about relocating to Tampa. I did that this past summer, talked about everything we loved about Florida and was chastised for it. So many people were attacking me they ended up closing down the thread.

What I dislike about Florida so far !!!
Ya, that was crazy. I thought some people totally took that the wrong way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay