Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 06:06 PM

10 posts, read 29,485 times

Advertisements

I see very few positive posts about the Tampa area. Our friends are in Seven Oaks in Wesley Chapel and are very happy. Every area has good and bad, but people don't seem so upbeat about the area. Are you sorry you relocated there? Would you consider NC/SC a better choice? (Aside from the climate differences).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 06:15 PM

321 posts, read 1,029,006 times
I wouldn't consider NC/SC an alternative to Tampa... they are so completely different, IMO. I have lived just south of Tampa for over 10 years now (originally from Cincinnati), and while I enjoy vacationing in NC/SC, they are not the same. You have to ask yourself what exactly are you relocating for. Is it just for weather? Or are there other factors involved? If you like beaches, the Gulf is completely different to the Atlantic. If you like professional sports, you've got the NFL, NHL, MLB, and NBA all at your door in Tampa. If you like Disney, it's only an hour away.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:25 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,376,422 times
You need to remember that there are only a dozen or so that post to the Forum, which is a minute amount compared to the amount of people that actually live here(330k just within the city of Tampa alone).

Here is MY opinion of why I lchoose to stay in Tampa(originally from Long Island)..

http://www.city-data.com/forum/tampa...t-city-me.html

Old 03-10-2008, 07:45 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
I have to say I think the Tampa has very few negative posters compared to some other city forums.

Not every place is for everyone or we'd all be living in the same place complaining about how crowded it was now.

If you want to post some specific complaints you are concerned about I am sure we can give you our opinions.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:19 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,962,065 times
I moved from St. Petersburg to North Carolina and I regret it every day. It depends on what you like and are looking for - I moved for a job that didn't exist in Tampa Bay, but I really miss the water, Florida nature and I actually loved the FL summers. If you're a water person in any way stay out of NC except for the coastal areas! You will miss it for sure.

The housing market/homeowner's insurance has really tainted a lot of opinions about Florida. Made life very difficult.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:15 PM

33 posts, read 96,138 times
Keeper you are so right! I have been on other city forums on this site and the sheer hate that comes out is amazing! I often wonder why those people feel the need to go on a forum and complain rather than doing something productive (like working on getting out of the much hated city). I do take the negative opinions here with a grain of salt. I have spoken with many more people who I know that love Tampa and Florida in general. Sure it has it's downsides, but so does every place. I know people tend to LOVE Nashville, but for me personally I have always had a love/hate relationship with it...so to each his own I guess!

Old 03-11-2008, 03:36 AM

10 posts, read 29,485 times
Thanks everyone. We are thinking of moving from LI, NY. The taxes here are very high, the winters are cold, and we are tired of working just to pay the bills without really enjoying life. The stress level is very high here. Since housing prices are still okay here, we can get a pretty good deal in Florida right now. I like a house in Seven Oaks in Wesley Chapel. We have friends in the community and they love it. We have two school age children who would love to move there. My husband is a hunter and says there is no hunting in Florida. He also would rather have a more rural experience. So we will probably be looking for a piece of land , close to Wesley Chapel where he can store his trunks and hunting gear. Any suggestions on areas? Thanks for your replies.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:36 AM

367 posts, read 1,686,988 times
Florida Hunting Today

there is hunting, just depends on what type. Areas away from the more built up are great if you like rural, but will the kids appreciate it as they become teens? It can be a little out of touch in the rural locations, if they want all the young people attractions, malls, movies, beaches, part time jobs, sports, then you should consider city and driving out at weekends for country pursuits.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:12 PM

4 posts, read 19,131 times
I like the Tampa area just fine. I live in Wesley Chapel in the MeadowPointe Subdivision. My little gated "community" called Broughton Place has just 43 homes of similar value (325K - 450K) and everyone knows everyone else. With all the new outdoor malls and shopping just completed and still under construction, I'll be able to get to just about anything I need or want in 15 minutes or less. The weather is great once you get used to the humidity and there's loads of recreational opportunities nearby. I've been here for about 8 years and can truthfully say things are better every year.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:01 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,697,912 times
Well, Wesley Chapel isn't exatly Tampa. It is further North and growing so there are a lot of new construction out there.
Tampa itself, the older parts, not so nice.
The newer parts are nice, but I don't deem Tampa to be full of life. Plus one major complaint I hear is it's hard to meet people here-and I completely agree. Weird, but still how it seems to be.
I wouldn't even compair NC/SC to FL. It's not compariable. Different states and things-different surroundings and weather.
Most people that live here do like it, but it may not be the ideal place for them. I don't mind it here, but I am from Miami-so I feel very differently about Tampa since I have lived in a larger, more popular city of Fl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay