Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2011, 10:50 AM

385 posts, read 1,112,339 times

Advertisements

I was accepted as a graduate student recently at the University of South Florida and am getting more information before I possibly move there from South Carolina.

What are good neighborhoods for students? It seems like the university might be in a newer part of town... kind of suburban. If I am looking for something a little older, where should I go? I was looking at the Seminole Heights neighborhood and thought it sounded nice, even though it might be kind of far away from the school (how long woud the commute be from there?) Probably too far to bike to school? Does anyone have an opinion about Seminole Heights or could they suggest an alternative neighborhood?

I saw on a map that lettuce lake park is near the university, and thought it might be nice to live close to that? Honestly I haven't been to Tampa since I went to Busch Gardens as a child so I am going by what research I've done on the internet.

I was also going to ask about hiking/outdoors activities in the area. It seems like it might not be as great as some places for that... I was thinking that if I moved down I might take up sea kayaking since it is by the ocean. Anyway, are there good places to hike/bike/kayak in Tampa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 12:18 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,365,693 times
Not many good areas around USF, especially in the price range for a grad student.

Seminole Heights is probably a little far for a bike commute, as are any of the decent areas close to the campus.

The majority of the areas around the campus are either mixed use industrial or apartments. That being said, many of the apartments are either college kids or recently paroled Department of Corrections folks ("Suitcase City.")

If you can go a little east there is Temple Terrace, which is older but decent. To the north up Bruce B. Downs is newer but pricey.

RM

Old 03-21-2011, 12:53 AM

121 posts, read 385,531 times
Your best option is Temple Terrace if you want a house nearby, are you looking for a house or apartment? If you are looking for apartments, check out the apartments on McKinley St. which is the street Bush Gardens is on. There are really nice apartments that are newly built in the last year. If you are looking for a house, I would go with Temple Terrace, its 5 minutes away from USF and you can bike to anything you need. Also nearby, you can kayak on Hillsborough River from Riverhills park with your own Kayak of course or free at USF Recreational Park with a kayak provided near Lettuce Lake. Also there is the Hillsborough Park that is the largest in the county about 15 minute drive if you want to hike.

If your interested, USF in St. Petersburg has a sailing program that cost $85 for 6 classes to learn to sail a dingy and another $85 course to learn to sail keel boat. If you pass the class you can sail the any of the boats anytime for free after that (USF Student). Also you can rent a kayak for free at their campus and kayak the ocean.

Last edited by starwins; 03-21-2011 at 01:20 AM..

Old 03-21-2011, 08:30 AM

428 posts, read 1,242,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Seminole Heights is probably a little far for a bike commute, as are any of the decent areas close to the campus.

The majority of the areas around the campus are either mixed use industrial or apartments. That being said, many of the apartments are either college kids or recently paroled Department of Corrections folks ("Suitcase City.")
I've heard this before and have also heard negative things about the University Mall, Fowler, and surrounding areas. Honestly, I have no in depth knowledge of this area and thus have no reason not to believe the comments - I've never even been inside University Mall.

However, I will say that this area on Fowler does not seem that bad at all from just driving though it- certainly seems no worse or even a little more pleasant than areas like Dale Mabry. And it seems light years better than nearby Busch Blvd. which is very seedy in parts. Just curious what the real scoop is?

Old 03-21-2011, 11:02 AM

385 posts, read 1,112,339 times
I am not sure if I'm looking for a house or apartment... it sort of depends on how much I can get for my money, but I was thinking a house.

I'll definitely look at Temple Terrace.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:50 PM

16 posts, read 25,679 times
Dude if you wanna ride a bike stay way closer to USF. In general USF is in an AWFUL location (ghetto and far from all the nice places in town), either go to tampa palms/new tampa if you wanna be safe in a nice neighborhood (but also boring) or go in a student complex, preferably in the 500-600$ range so you make sure it's not ghetto. Try to avoid the area west than Bruce B Down in general
Avoid Seminole Heights! And old is BAD here

Old 04-09-2011, 10:56 PM

817 posts, read 2,250,094 times
The best places that are real close to campus, and that can be reached by bike, are the areas just adjacent to the campus on the east side, and just to the north. Anything outside of that is not bikeable.

I hate to say it, but what you want doesn't really exist for USF, with all of your wants included.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:26 AM

100 posts, read 367,084 times
corvidae, I have a new colleague at my office who was recently a graduate student at USF. He keeps saying that on-campus housing is the best option for most USF students. They have apparently built some new on-campus student apartments that are pretty nice. Also, if you're on campus, then it is obviously much safer than any nearby off-campus location.
However, I have no first-hand information regarding this (it's all hearsay from my colleague). So you might want to check it out yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay