U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 03-31-2011, 03:27 PM

54 posts, read 89,146 times
Have you tried Meetup? They have a German American Society meetup in Pinellas Park and a German language group in Tierra Verde. There is also an International Friends meetup with expats from numerous countries. They are not oriented around children, but it might be a good source of leads.
Also, the community colleges usually offer German language classes. They are aimed at beginners but the instructors are either native speakers or language enthusiasts. They might be able to point you in the right direction.
Viel Glück!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-05-2011, 07:13 AM

2 posts, read 1,556 times
Hi Debbie, I am German and just moved here to Tampa a few days ago with my family (my husband is American, my kids are 5 and 3 and bilingual) so I would like to find a way for them to keep talking German, if you are interested we could meet/start our own playgroup? Looking forward to hearing from German speaking families here in Tampa! Melanie

Unread 05-05-2011, 10:24 AM

1,123 posts, read 2,140,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravardmedia View Post
Have you tried Meetup? They have a German American Society meetup in Pinellas Park and a German language group in Tierra Verde. There is also an International Friends meetup with expats from numerous countries. They are not oriented around children, but it might be a good source of leads.
Also, the community colleges usually offer German language classes. They are aimed at beginners but the instructors are either native speakers or language enthusiasts. They might be able to point you in the right direction.
Viel Glück!
I was going to suggest meetup as well. Here is the link with German as the search engine:

german Meetups near - Meetup

Unread 08-25-2011, 05:55 PM

1 posts, read 693 times
Default Any luck?

I'm curious if anyone in this thread had luck finding a German playgroup in the Tampa Bay area? I have an 8 month old that I am teaching German (although I am not a native speaker). I'm curious if there are other people out there with infants interesting in forming a playgroup or trying to get either Music Lingua or The Little Chatterbox to start offering infant classes in German. It seems like it is not offered due to a lack of interest...or so they say.

Valerie

Unread 08-26-2011, 09:38 AM

2 posts, read 1,556 times
Default no luck

hi, unfortunately no - I have been looking for German families and potentially playgroups since we moved to Tampa in May (I am German and my kids speak German fluently) - I have found 2 or 3 moms replying to my post on a different website but when it came to meeting them I was not lucky so far - which is sad (I even tried to open a German playgroup on playgroups USA and had not a single reply in weeks so I sort of gave up looking, I guess you are right, people are not interested - not even when they actually have kids that should speak German)

Unread 09-21-2011, 05:45 AM

1 posts, read 641 times
Default Languages for children? German, French?

Hello everyone,

I'm not German or French but interested in teaching my daughter to speak one of them, since we might be living in Europe for some period of time. She is 5 y.o. and it's impossible to find any language classes for her age (except Spanish). It is so disappointing... Any suggestions, ideas? We're in St.Pete area, anybody around? :-)

Unread 12-19-2011, 12:09 PM

2 posts, read 804 times
Default Moving to Tampa this coming summer

Hi there!
I just read your post here and thought I should contact you. We are going to move to Tampa this coming summer (2012). I am German, and we're trying to raise our 21 month old son to be bilingual. I know it's still a couple of months until our move (we are currently in Kansas), but I thought it would be good to establish some sort of contact already. Let me know if you'd still be interested in meeting so we can 'quasseln' in German

Yvonne

Quote:
Originally Posted by melhardy View Post
hi, unfortunately no - I have been looking for German families and potentially playgroups since we moved to Tampa in May (I am German and my kids speak German fluently) - I have found 2 or 3 moms replying to my post on a different website but when it came to meeting them I was not lucky so far - which is sad (I even tried to open a German playgroup on playgroups USA and had not a single reply in weeks so I sort of gave up looking, I guess you are right, people are not interested - not even when they actually have kids that should speak German)

Unread 04-17-2012, 08:40 AM

1 posts, read 492 times
Default German native speaker offers help

Hello,

I'm a German national and just moved to Tampa to live with my fiancé. I'd be happy to meet up with you and your children to teach them German or watch them for a couple of hours during the day and talk German to them. I am currently enrolled in an online program to get my teachers qualification and would be grateful for any supplementary hands-on teaching experience. Let me know if you are interested by either replying to this post or sending an email to [email]susanne.rothkopf@gmail.com[/email]

Thank you

Susanne

Unread 04-24-2012, 09:17 AM

2 posts, read 911 times
Hello,
I am from Germany and my son is 11 months. I am looking forward to meet German people in Tamba Bay area for play dates, play groups or german clases/schools!!!!

Unread 04-24-2012, 09:20 AM

2 posts, read 911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melhardy View Post
Please contact me
[email]lilia7891@gmail.com[/email]

I would love to meet you and your children. I am from Hannover and my son is 11 months. I was looking for German baby classes or even schools in Tampa Bay area, unfortunately I didn't find anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay