U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 04-02-2011, 07:32 PM
 
36 posts, read 32,883 times
Reputation: 57
I'm a native floridian. And after 33 years I still love it and could not live anywhere else.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-02-2011, 07:56 PM
 
Location: SWFL
388 posts, read 439,296 times
Reputation: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Don't you read I said my HUSBAND lived in Europe and he prefers here. And in case you didn't know, Tampa is a CITY, Europe is a CONTINENT! One doesn't compare one little city with an entire continent! good god, your hatred for all things Florida is mind-boggling! Guess what, we have wealthy friends from FRANCE who bought here and prefer it as well. they love the US, and especially Florida. You are WAY OVERDUE for leaving here.
WAY OVERDUE for leaving---AMEN to that! And don't let the door hit you in the...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2011, 08:09 PM
 
524 posts, read 469,175 times
Reputation: 293
I must say that the buzz does not wear off if you TRULY love all of the beautiful characteristics of FL such as palm trees and water. I TRULY LOVE it here. I moved here nearly 5 years ago from the Northern VA/DC area and I take a camera with me everywhere I go because I guess I am still in "tourist mode" and cant believe I live here! I take pics of palm trees and I LOVE every minute of it! I thought I was the only one that LOVED driving over the Howard Frankland bridge but man it takes my breath away everytime I drive over it. I even saw two dolphins on the way to work last week and I screamed with excitement while talking to a cold, bored friend of mine that is in VA lol! She was quite jealous might I add! So, each day, I honestly feel like Im on a vacation, despite handling day-to-day life and responsibilities.

Signed,
So blessed to live in paradise!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2011, 08:35 PM
 
Location: Brandon, FL...wishing I was back in Nebraska.
2,315 posts, read 1,864,480 times
Reputation: 2146
The "buzz" never hit me. I came unwillingly (well.. sure we could leave the military but that would cause possible discharge without honor, etc). I still dislike it here and slowly counting down the years i'm stuck here. Maybe if we didnt have a child things would be different, but being down here with a baby away from all friends and family is very lonely. I have one awesome friend here that i really enjoy, that's about the only thing I will miss about tampa.

Weather is ok, but too hot for my tastes. Love the rain storms. Beaches are ok but again, not my thing. Too many damn no-see-ums biting me and makes me miserable, sand in every crevice of your body, eew. Rude people, worse drivers.

Making the best of it we can though. Enjoying things like the zoo, parenting groups here are also a lot nicer. Its much easier to find parenting styles like my own down here than it was in the midwest.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2011, 07:30 PM
 
Location: it depends
5,137 posts, read 2,068,209 times
Reputation: 3953
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
The "buzz" never hit me. I came unwillingly (well.. sure we could leave the military but that would cause possible discharge without honor, etc). I still dislike it here and slowly counting down the years i'm stuck here. Maybe if we didnt have a child things would be different, but being down here with a baby away from all friends and family is very lonely. I have one awesome friend here that i really enjoy, that's about the only thing I will miss about tampa.

Weather is ok, but too hot for my tastes. Love the rain storms. Beaches are ok but again, not my thing. Too many damn no-see-ums biting me and makes me miserable, sand in every crevice of your body, eew. Rude people, worse drivers.

Making the best of it we can though. Enjoying things like the zoo, parenting groups here are also a lot nicer. Its much easier to find parenting styles like my own down here than it was in the midwest.
Rezfreak, it is good to hear that you are finding things to enjoy, and the parenting thing (groups and style) seems to have been a pleasant surprise. We split time between a place near your old home town up north and a condo in the greater Tampa area, and we are back north now. We weren't wild to find the winter chuckholes, the grey sludge and gravel all over everything, and brown, brown, brown landscape. Trees are budding but mostly bare.

Still, the occaisional blue sky day is glorious up here. Jan-Feb-Mar in Florida was more like April-May-June up here, and now we get April-May-June again up north.

I salute "making the best of it," good luck to you. We're at a different stage with different tastes, and can't wait to get the tropical buzz again in Greater Tampa in the fall.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2011, 08:20 PM
 
Location: Brandon, FL...wishing I was back in Nebraska.
2,315 posts, read 1,864,480 times
Reputation: 2146
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Rezfreak, it is good to hear that you are finding things to enjoy, and the parenting thing (groups and style) seems to have been a pleasant surprise. We split time between a place near your old home town up north and a condo in the greater Tampa area, and we are back north now. We weren't wild to find the winter chuckholes, the grey sludge and gravel all over everything, and brown, brown, brown landscape. Trees are budding but mostly bare.

Still, the occaisional blue sky day is glorious up here. Jan-Feb-Mar in Florida was more like April-May-June up here, and now we get April-May-June again up north.

I salute "making the best of it," good luck to you. We're at a different stage with different tastes, and can't wait to get the tropical buzz again in Greater Tampa in the fall.
See I dreadfully miss the brown Nebraska land and the potholes and sand all over your yard... ahh home I did get to go home for a couple weeks this winter, got to see snow once! We are keeping our fingers crossed to get our final base back at offutt and be able to buy our house there. I do agree with your weather though. It was funny to see the looks on faces when I was wearing a tank top down here when it was in the 40s at night back in November/December. I was pregnant and my birth class-mates thought i was insane, then they commented "you must be a northerner". That obvious?!

It was however, nice to give birth in December when there was no snow to deal with driving the 30 mins from Brandon to Lutz to the birth center I went to. Back in Omaha I lived literally 1 block from Children's hospital though, that was nice Pros and cons to each place.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2011, 05:19 AM
 
Location: Tampa
1,318 posts, read 612,059 times
Reputation: 508
^^^ First time in the world Omaha has been considered to be more desirable than anywhere by anyone. It almost feels as if this person is pulling our leg it is so outrageous. I knew someone from nebraska when I was in the Army, they thought it was the greatest place on earth, but then again, some people eat poop, which I think I'd actually do if I was given the option to do that or live in Nebraska.

Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2011, 06:21 AM
 
Location: South Florida
436 posts, read 578,090 times
Reputation: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
^^^ First time in the world Omaha has been considered to be more desirable than anywhere by anyone. It almost feels as if this person is pulling our leg it is so outrageous. I knew someone from nebraska when I was in the Army, they thought it was the greatest place on earth, but then again, some people eat poop, which I think I'd actually do if I was given the option to do that or live in Nebraska.

Years ago, I broke down in Nebraska and was forced to spend several hours stuck in the middle of the state. No thanks. I'm not sure how anyone can live in a landlocked state, but to each his/her own. Everyone has different opinions and priorities I guess.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2011, 06:42 AM
 
9,834 posts, read 15,351,652 times
Reputation: 7380
My husband (and his family) are from Indiana. He knows there is no way in a million years I would ever live there, I would never leave here. Lucky for me he feels the same way!

I am not going to name the town where they live so as not to offend anyone, but it is one of the worst places I have ever seen. My husbands' friends who are from there feel the same way. But as others say, to each their own, doesn't matter how I feel if people who live there are happy with it. Me and hubby are sure happy in our little tropical paradise!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2011, 07:05 AM
 
Location: Brandon, FL...wishing I was back in Nebraska.
2,315 posts, read 1,864,480 times
Reputation: 2146
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
^^^ First time in the world Omaha has been considered to be more desirable than anywhere by anyone. It almost feels as if this person is pulling our leg it is so outrageous. I knew someone from nebraska when I was in the Army, they thought it was the greatest place on earth, but then again, some people eat poop, which I think I'd actually do if I was given the option to do that or live in Nebraska.

No, its not so hard to believe.
#1 Most affordable city by Forbes (and actually Omaha is bigger people wise than Tampa proper, so dont forget that)
The Most Affordable Cities in America - Yahoo! Real Estate

#3 best city to relocate to by CNBC News Headlines

#5 Safest City by Forbes America's Safest Cities - 5. Omaha, Neb. - Forbes.com

Lets not forget unemployment is only 5% in Nebraska (last I checked) with more businesses like Google and Yahoo moving in.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top