U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 03:24 PM

111 posts, read 549,709 times

Advertisements

Tampanians do take care of themselves... maybe it's due to not wearing heavy clothing all the time and not being able to hide under the winter coat! My wife finally succumbed to the manicures, sundresses, getting her hair did, and the daily workouts and is now wearing cute clothing! There is nothing wrong with taking care of yourself and having pride in your body; and there isn't anything wrong with carrying around 20 lbs...you're not American if your not overweight or in debt! The thing about Tampa that we both love (we're both from Tennessee) is folks don't care what you do...it's a very liberal city. Tennessee, on the other hand, we found people talk about others behind their backs. I can't stand folks in other peoples business! Maybe it's a southern thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2007, 01:42 AM

33 posts, read 103,420 times
Miami VS Tampa VERY different! Miami is very fast paced...

Old 10-06-2008, 10:13 PM

37 posts, read 165,176 times
go to the library and get a magazine called "Places To Retire" It come out every 2 months, and profiles cities all over the USA from the perspective of retirement. It rates all aspects of living from taxes to cost of living, medical amenities, and so forth.It will help you greatly.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:16 PM

37 posts, read 165,176 times
Ditto fireballFL, I agree. Tampa is a mixture all its own, a litle bit of everything.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:46 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,382,375 times
No one excercises here and most everyone smokes. I think I am the only person who walks in my entire neighborhood. In fact, I have never seen in my year here, anyone excercising anywhere. Maybe that is why there are so many fat people here. No offense.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:36 AM

7 posts, read 36,898 times
I am from Duluth! I want to warn you about coming down here. The drivers here make Atlanta drivers look like they have spent years in driving school. Tampa is pretty dirty, like Conyers if youve ever been there.

Crime is off the map (unless you are comparing to Buckhead). 90% of the people here are rude and will stab you in the back.

Say goodbye to southern hospitality, seeing leaves turn in fall and most importantly your car being in one piece.

I'm in Carrollwood (the nicer part of tampa) and honestly cant think of anything good to say about the area other than its easy to avoid getting lost.

Transportation here is a joke. The bus runs on average every 30 minutes,with connections being a pain in the butt, compared to Marta. A 10 mile trip used to take me 2 hours. There are little to no business commuters that use the transportation lines.

The beach gets old really fast, as does just about everything else does. Ybor is nice visually, but can be as bad as Buckhead. Ive lived here 6 years. Ive tried so hard to like it as im stuck here. I wish I could offer you more in terms of pros, but in my opinion Tampa is a poop hole compared to Atlanta.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:31 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,382,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forscythe87 View Post
I am from Duluth! I want to warn you about coming down here. The drivers here make Atlanta drivers look like they have spent years in driving school. Tampa is pretty dirty, like Conyers if youve ever been there.

Crime is off the map (unless you are comparing to Buckhead). 90% of the people here are rude and will stab you in the back.

Say goodbye to southern hospitality, seeing leaves turn in fall and most importantly your car being in one piece.

I'm in Carrollwood (the nicer part of tampa) and honestly cant think of anything good to say about the area other than its easy to avoid getting lost.

Transportation here is a joke. The bus runs on average every 30 minutes,with connections being a pain in the butt, compared to Marta. A 10 mile trip used to take me 2 hours. There are little to no business commuters that use the transportation lines.

The beach gets old really fast, as does just about everything else does. Ybor is nice visually, but can be as bad as Buckhead. Ive lived here 6 years. Ive tried so hard to like it as im stuck here. I wish I could offer you more in terms of pros, but in my opinion Tampa is a poop hole compared to Atlanta.
I agree about the poophole, Tampa! But, the beach is not in Tampa and is always beautiful. Also, the bus line is not so bad really. I have been here a year and have ridden buses in D.C. all my life, and its all about figuring the routes. Some could be better, but really its not bad. One thing that sucks is that I am a walker and Tampa is not walkable at all. It is so annoying to me. I like Carrollwood too. My favorite thing is going out there to Citrus Park. It is more like home in VA there. Otherwise the area is tres redneck, bluecollar, and education is not a priority, but motorcycles, drinking and going to strip clubs is! Also getting arrested! I am moving to St. Pete or Sarasota soon. St. Pete is so different than Tampa period.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:02 PM

1,824 posts, read 7,616,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
No one excercises here and most everyone smokes. I think I am the only person who walks in my entire neighborhood. In fact, I have never seen in my year here, anyone excercising anywhere. Maybe that is why there are so many fat people here. No offense.
What neighbrhood do you live in..I wouldnt usually write to such a generalized statement, but it is kinda funny to say the NO ONE excersizes and most everyone smokes here in Tampa

I'll just say that I cant go far from my neighborhood in South Tampa and not see plenty of bikers, joggers, bladers, walkers, all along the Bayshore Blvd, Friendship Trail, and the many gyms in the area that are always packed(Lifestyle Hyde Park, Calta's on Gandy, YMCA on Himes, Xtreme on Howard Ave), and the many neighbors I have walking, and also walking their dogs in the neighborhood....

Old 10-10-2008, 04:52 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,831,619 times
Artsywoman, I have to disagree, I have seen ppl I worked with go out for a run on their lunch hour even during summer, others walked around the complex. Just because you don't see ppl walking where you live doesn't mean that folks don't walk for exercise in other areas. I walk my dogs a mile every day, my LH exercised everyday in our house for an hour before work for 15 years. Maybe it is where you live but that is not all of Tampa.

I also lived and worked in Carrollwood for several years. I found the ppl nice and friendly. One of my customers signed a book he wrote and gave it to me, because I was always friendly to him and his family, other customers invited me to their homes to visit or for dinner.

S. Tampa has many walkable areas too.

Atlanta is bigger than Tampa and there are many areas there where ppl don't walk. They have burbs where most ppl live and the traffic is much worse

Old 10-10-2008, 06:31 PM

15,115 posts, read 31,011,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Artsywoman, I have to disagree, I have seen ppl I worked with go out for a run on their lunch hour even during summer, others walked around the complex. Just because you don't see ppl walking where you live doesn't mean that folks don't walk for exercise in other areas. I walk my dogs a mile every day, my LH exercised everyday in our house for an hour before work for 15 years. Maybe it is where you live but that is not all of Tampa.

I also lived and worked in Carrollwood for several years. I found the ppl nice and friendly. One of my customers signed a book he wrote and gave it to me, because I was always friendly to him and his family, other customers invited me to their homes to visit or for dinner.

S. Tampa has many walkable areas too.

Atlanta is bigger than Tampa and there are many areas there where ppl don't walk. They have burbs where most ppl live and the traffic is much worse
I totally agree with this post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or