Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 12:01 PM

2 posts, read 6,604 times

Advertisements

I'm an arts student from India deciding which university to go to, and my options are University of South Florida and Western Kentucky University. Both universities are equally good so I tried searching about Tampa and Bowling Green and got many pros and cons for both, but still can't decide where to go. I saw that Tampa has a more active life but it also has a high crime rate. The climate where I live right now is almost the same as Tampa... so I think I might prefer a colder climate. The pros of Bowling Green are that it's a safe and calm place, with a seemingly decent cold climate, but it also appears to be a bit dull..... but I might be wrong. Please can you help me by giving your suggestions and views on both the places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 12:03 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,302,847 times
I think Tampa would give you more things to do. Close to the beach, Orlando, and everything in Tampa itself. Tampa's crime rate isn't high and has declined something like 60% over the last decade. Some of the areas around USF are sketchy, but just use common sense.

Also, for what it's worth, you'll probably find a bigger Indian community in Tampa.

Last edited by ferret111; 04-11-2011 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 04-11-2011, 12:11 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,299,617 times
There are a lot of Indians in my community and they are all very nice, I am 15 minutes from Tampa in Lutz, but generally the reason why the "City of Tampa" ranks high in crime is because it only has 300k ppl, and a lot of bad areas....you may find Carrollwood great, close to USF and has a lot of shopping and dining available.

I have to agree with Ferret here, you would have a LOT more things to do by direct comparison with KY....I think the "thing to do" up there is tornado watching ......hahahahah sorry couldn't help it. If you asked between Tampa and NY I would have said NY hands down....but if KY is your other option then definitely Tampa.

Our weather sucks, it is hot and humid and has only a few months of cooler weather....generally between December and March...

Old 04-11-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
why the "City of Tampa" ranks high in crime is because it only has 300k ppl, and a lot of bad areas.
But keep in mind that Tampa's crime as decreased by 60%, which is staggering, really. Yes, some city neighborhoods still have high crime (Sulphur Springs, V.M. Ybor), but those aren't neighborhoods where most people have any business in, anyway.

Carrollwood is a good suggestion, depending on what the poster can afford/likes.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:41 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,308,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Our weather sucks

Tampa has placed in the top 5 for outdoor cities by Forbes. Yeah, it is hot here in the summer, but "Our weather sucks" might be a stretch.

The humidity isnt as bad as the pacific northwest, and the highest recorded temperature in Tampa, in the history of recorded temperatures, is 99 degrees.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:47 PM

The poster is also from India, which from what I understand, is quite humid in some parts. (Admittedly, I don't know much about India's climate.) So maybe he/she could tolerate Tampa weather better than some transplants from up North. I don't know, just a guess.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:55 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
OP, I agree with everyone, I think you will like Tampa better. There is a large Indian population here, lots to do, yes, weather can be warm and humid but I am a native and love it.

Good luck to you!

Old 04-11-2011, 01:01 PM

463 posts, read 1,052,665 times
Well i have not seen a college or university that would not have anything to do right next to campus. However BG won't have much to offer outside the campus and if you plan to go to museums, take a trip to nearby attractions, then you should pick Tampa. If you limit yourself with few miles from the university, as your range, go to BG since it seems that the only con you have for BG is dull area.

On the other hand, from KY it's a short drive to TN and those lakes and mountains, you can take weekend trip with friends to Chicago or other cities around. Overall i'd say KY is in better geographic area to explore US. If you need something to do after school for the half day, then Tampa is better since we have a lot of things you can check out in Tampa and surounding areas, however longer trips are limited to Miami, Orlando and few other places and it is flat here (if you are looking for a weekend of mountain hiking)

Old 04-11-2011, 01:57 PM

2 posts, read 6,604 times
Thanks a lot guys!!! This is really helpfull... I also did not know there were many indians in tampa.

Also can you please give your views on the University of South Florida? I know that since it's a state university it's class size will be somewhat around 60... but that won't necessarily affect the quality of education, right? WKU has a class size limit of around 20....

Old 04-11-2011, 02:42 PM

100 posts, read 367,219 times
I am originally from Massachusetts... I have never heard of Western Kentucky University before but I did hear nice things about University of South Florida even in Massachusetts. Of course, USF is no Berkeley or UCLA, but it is definitely more reputed than WKU. However, I don't know how the respective arts programs line up - USF is more known for their medical, business, and engineering schools.

I have no idea how Bowling Green is as a location since I've never been there but I like the beaches around Tampa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay