U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2011, 08:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,040 times

Advertisements

I'm a 22 year old single female college grad with a job in St. Pete starting this July. I've only been to the Tampa area once and am not sure where to look for an apartment... I need suggestions as far as what neighborhoods to look at and what specific complexes to look at within those neighborhoods.

I like to go out, and would love an area with good nightlife. That being said, it needs to be an area where I would feel safe walking alone to access said nightlife. Schools aren't a concern since I don't have kids or plan on having them any time soon. As far as commute time, I'm thinking anything up to 45 mins. I'm looking to spend about $700-1300 per month... obviously, lower rent is better and I'd love to keep it below $1000 if possible.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 06:11 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,871,186 times
You can find a GREAT place anywhere in the city for your budget. Depending on where you are working in st pete matters when making reccomendations. The best place in the bay area for young single people is without a doubt south tampa/SoHo. It is arguably the most walkable neighborhood in central Florida. It is right near the University of Tampa, and in the shadow of downtown, so you have a great mix of young people and working professionals in their 20s and 30s. Of course it has the best nightlife in the bay area. There are probably about 10 bars, 5 clubs, and 20 resturants you can get to without ever setting foot in a car.

On the other hand you have downtown st pete, which has some good establishments. The people are COMPLETELY different. Although there is only about a 12 mile difference over the Gandy Bay Bridge, their personalities couldnt be further from Tampa people, in my opinion. At least the sub-40 crowd.

Let us know more about your interests, and what kind of nightlife interests you. What type of people do you associate/socialize with? I can provide further insight as to where you should move based on where I think you would better fit in.

To give you a basic idea of each town without sounding biased I will say the following about the personalities of the 20s and 30s people in each town:

Tampa: Competitive singles scene, fit, healthy, active people. Young socialites, sometimes pretentious, typically very good looking people. Some might say SoHo attracts young shallow people.

St Pete: Laid back, relaxed. Much less emphasis placed on personal appearance. People arent as attractive, but friendlier. The clubs and bars aren't as nice as tampa, but they are more chill. There isnt as much pressure to be fit or look good.

St Pete has a more artsy and laid back crowd, Tampa has a more chic and trendy crowd.

If you can determine which town is better for you it is a good start. Many people move to the bay area and start off in one city and move to another, as they were unaware of the indivdual social vibes each city has.

I proudly live in Tampa and hang out in SoHo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or