Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2011, 12:33 PM

9 posts, read 23,294 times

Advertisements

If the schools are so bad in Florida why are they all rated A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 12:49 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,300,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbye NJ View Post
If the schools are so bad in Florida why are they all rated A.
The "all schools in Florida are bad" thing is a myth. Every school district (which is on a county-by-county basis here, so most are large) has its good schools and its bad schools.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:12 PM

463 posts, read 1,052,446 times
I think it's also rated within the state only, not nationwide. Also i do agree with ferret, you can have terrible school in mid-west or NY and great school in Florida. On the other hand, great school is where your kids like to go and get good preparation for the future.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:18 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,296,782 times
I want to know what the "rating" criteria is....I say that because for example greatschools.net gave the school my kids go to an 9, then parents gave an 8 because of the lack of extracurricular activities, yet there are only 5 parent reviews and the school told me that the majority of the kids going there don't have computers at home (which I found VERY odd, when we were discussing sending emails rather than mountains of papers), so if they don't, then I guess those parents can't rate it right? I found few schools that had 20, 30 reviews....most only have up to 2 pages or about up to 10/15 reviews so since an elementary school has several classes and a lot more than 15 parents, then I am not sure how accurate these ratings really are.

Correct me if I'm wrong. But this is what I got from this so far.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:58 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,200,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
I want to know what the "rating" criteria is....I say that because for example greatschools.net gave the school my kids go to an 9, then parents gave an 8 because of the lack of extracurricular activities, yet there are only 5 parent reviews and the school told me that the majority of the kids going there don't have computers at home (which I found VERY odd, when we were discussing sending emails rather than mountains of papers), so if they don't, then I guess those parents can't rate it right? I found few schools that had 20, 30 reviews....most only have up to 2 pages or about up to 10/15 reviews so since an elementary school has several classes and a lot more than 15 parents, then I am not sure how accurate these ratings really are.

Correct me if I'm wrong. But this is what I got from this so far.
It is based on test results and in their web site they have Q&A about this and other....greatschools.org that is......

Old 04-15-2011, 07:12 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,653,627 times
In my personal experience, Florida is 1 1/2 years behind NJ. We moved from Bergen County, NJ to Tampa. My kids were in kindergarten and 3rd grade. Actually, I found the kindergarten better down here due to NJ was only half day. The biggest difference was with my 3rd grader. Down here, she was doing things that she did in the beginning of 2nd grade. When she entered 4th grade, it was like a refresher course. Not only that, Florida does not have what NJ offered the kids. Foreign language starting in 1st grade, dance/yoga program twice a week, great art program, great music program. Lunch in NJ was 30 minutes for eating, 30 minutes for outside play (or inside play if it is too cold or rainy). Here they get 30 minutes for eating. The teachers take them outside ONLY IF THEY WANT TO for 15 minutes, twice a week. The art and music program in this so called "A" rated school sucked. The teachers don't need a lot of qualifications or education in order to teach. I find there is much more behaviorial issues that I did not see going on in NJ. This is just my experience. There may be other schools that are just wonderful and your kids would just love. We moved to this particular area because the schools were supposedly top notch.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:45 PM

877 posts, read 1,911,777 times
Florida is one of the lowest ranked states for SAT scores. Since high schoolers across the country take the same test I'd say that is a pretty good indicator that Florida schools, on average, are not great.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:31 AM

769 posts, read 2,050,404 times
Those grades are highly dependent on FCAT scores, and as noted above- are determined by the state of FL. So you cannot compare a school ranked "A" by FL to a highly ranked school from the northeast.

Old 04-16-2011, 02:29 PM

7 posts, read 6,257 times
Okay, first of all the whole USA's school system is bad. This happens to be a subject that I study constantly. It is not just Florida, even though we are on the lower on the rankings.

Let me get one thing clear, just because it is an, "A" school doesn't mean a
thing. I know plenty of "A" schools, and they are still sucky. I have lived in
three towns/cities, which includes two states. Florida is definitly behind, but no
one should be depended on the schools to teach them, since they are usually
greatly failing. If you ask any of the kids in my neighborhood (which is a very
"well educated" place) who is John Harrison or what happened during World
War II, they would probably not be able to answer it or give a really bad
answer.

It is you that chooses what you want your future to be, not any school. Do
not get sucked into the belief that schools these days are the answer when
almost most kids can't read or do math in America. Well, they cannot do
these skills proficiently.

Hope this helps :-)

Old 04-16-2011, 02:47 PM

28 posts, read 82,080 times
I have been trying to figure this school rating thing out too. I looked on schooldigger.com to compare the FCAT scores of the area's I'm interested in, and compared them with the ICAT scores here in Illinois. The area I am interested is the NE area of Clearwater and the grade school there is in the top 10% of all grade schools in FL. Comparatively, the school my daughter goes to here in IL is in the top 25%. I'll do more research, but I feel confident that the school district in FL is about the same, if not better than where my daughter attends. I am just starting my research, so I'd be interested in finding how to better analyze different areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay