U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 08:17 PM

11 posts, read 17,224 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am considering moving to Tampa or St. Pete within the next year. I would like to live an area with good nightlife since I enjoy going out on the weekends, however, not the club scene. I'm more in to the chill, live music kind of places. I also like shopping and anything outdoorsy. Since I will be coming down knowing no one, safety is a concern so need a safer neighborhood to live in.

I am in accounting/finance & have CPA so wondering if anyone knows good places to look for jobs. Preferably no public accounting... been there, done that & don't want to again!

How is Tampa/St. Pete for meeting new friends? Like I said, I won't know anyone coming down there so will need to meet new people! Any advice on meeting other young professionals?

How is the dating scene down there?

Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 04:45 AM

13,944 posts, read 19,182,493 times
Nightlife is solid both in Downtown St. Pete and in Tampa with Ybor City and Channelside.

Dating scene is solid.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:29 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,872,460 times
^^ I completely disagree with the above information.

Downtown St Pete isnt bad for single overweight smokers and old people, The 18-22 crowd is in Ybor, all the clubs are 18 and up, and it is tucked away in the ghetto- after 10 pm it looks like a bunch of rap video extras looking to get into a fight. It can be cool if you are with a large group of friends. There is okay live music, but it is more metal and punk than anything else.

Channelside has the WORST NIGHTLIFE IN THE ENTIRE AREA. I say say this because it is a bunch of cheeseball gimmicky places. You'll check it out when you move here because it can be neat, but only tourists and redneck couples from the sticks on date night hang out in channelside.

South Tampa/Hyde Park/SoHo is the best spot for nightlife AND living AND for singles, as it offers everything from douche-tastic clubs like drYnk, kennedy, HPC, has some bars/lounges that are qusi-clubbish without being a club (think bars with a DJ) like 'cheap', MadDintons, bars with live music like World of Beer, Dubliner, Yard of Ale, great resturants like Ceviche (which offers live spanish and flamenco music), Cirros, Ciccios, Berns (largest wine selection in America), a few sushi places, and a lot of other things I have missed, ALL WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE OF EACHOTHER. South Tampa also has the most competitive singles scene. It has the most singles, but everyone is fit, healthy, and good looking. If you can land a job in tampa, I would try to live in Old Hyde Park, which puts you a few blocks from everything I mentioned above (walkable) but lets you walk home out of the action. Old Hyde Park also has a Cinibistro, the best gym in the bay area (Hyde Park Lifestyles), a few more resturants, and a bunch of little shops, parks, and the afternoon offers active parks, people jogging, and walking dogs. You are walking distance from bayshore blvd, which is the most active jogging/bike route in the area as it is the longest continuous sidewalk in the world (im not making that up) along the hillsborough bay. You really cant get all of this anywhere else in central florida or Florida gulf coast at this level in my opinion. As an FYI, I am a 28 year old single guy to give you a point of reference for my perspective.

As a side note, it can be tough to meet people. A lot of people in tampa are very self-absorbed, but if you are outgoing enough, you'll be fine!

Dont hesitate to ask any more questions.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:24 AM

19 posts, read 85,525 times
come to south tampa! i'm 23 and a cpa too. when you say you don't want to do public accounting do you mean you want to avoid the big four firms?

Old 04-21-2011, 09:51 AM

494 posts, read 1,424,530 times
"Channelside has the WORST NIGHTLIFE IN THE ENTIRE AREA. I say say this because it is a bunch of cheeseball gimmicky place"

Not really, it's a cruiseship terminal. It's got the Tampa aquarium. Nice theaters and some good food. Guess it's about how you define "hang out". Maybe not the place to go if your obsessed about how everyone looks I suppose. A lot of locals walk there for happy hours or dinner.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innertuber View Post
"Channelside has the WORST NIGHTLIFE IN THE ENTIRE AREA. I say say this because it is a bunch of cheeseball gimmicky place"

Not really, it's a cruiseship terminal. It's got the Tampa aquarium. Nice theaters and some good food. Guess it's about how you define "hang out". Maybe not the place to go if your obsessed about how everyone looks I suppose. A lot of locals walk there for happy hours or dinner.
i guess because she specifically asked about "nightlife" id tell her about the nightlife, not the cruise ship terminals . The food in channelside sucks. Bennigans? Really? I think that is where I took dates in high school. Most of them closed down because it is gross. Thai Tani is okay at best, but there are great thai and japanese returants all over tamps that put it to shame, that mexican place across from bennigans is like eating poop tacos, but worse. I think their salsa comes from publix, glad I paid a resturant premium for tostitos from the grocery store. Never eaten at the BBQ place. The IMAX theater and aqarium are cool, but I dont need to live near channelside to go to the aqauirium once a year. The locals walk around for happy hour or dinner? What, the a fraction of the 500 people that live in the channelside district?

For nightlife, howl at the moon and splitsville are cool, like once a year if you are in a large group. Bannana Joes, which sucked anyway, has closed down. AJA Channelside, which is across the street from channelside is a decent club, but doesnt draw a lot of attention because well... locals dont hang out in channelside. The company that owns AJA quickly opened drYnk in south tampa and focused all their advertising on that (and AJA Wiregrass), as nobody was willing to go to channelside. I dont think AJA will be there long and are probably just living out their lease in the channelside towers.

What is wrong with looking good when you go out? God forbid you put on a nice shirt on a friday night or hit bayshore to run a few times a week to stay in shape, suddenly all of the hobgoblins and gremlins come out of the woodwork to tell you that you are shallow and vain.

Last edited by craigm1841; 04-21-2011 at 10:13 AM..

Old 04-21-2011, 10:11 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,741,241 times
So what should someone expect to pay for a 1br/studio or 2br place in SoHo or Hyde Park?

If you didn't want to go the apartment route, is there a good way to find house rentals online or is riding through the area best?

Old 04-21-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpur View Post
So what should someone expect to pay for a 1br/studio or 2br place in SoHo or Hyde Park?

If you didn't want to go the apartment route, is there a good way to find house rentals online or is riding through the area best?
Renting privately, maybe like $600 to $1200 for a 1 BR, maybe $800 to $1800 for a 2 BR in hyde park. There arent a lot of complexes, besides Post Hyde Park and the Madison. Old hyde park has a lot of bungalows for rent, there are even some condos. from shabby to spectacular. it depends on your budget and availibility. Check craigslist. Post Hyde Park has a website (PostProperties.com) and the Madison is condo, so craigslist will be your best bet for that too.

Keep in mind, shabby in hyde park my actually be quite shabby, but the location is great and the neighborhood is safe. Some of the buildings have "Character" also known as "Old as dirt". Many have been renovated and are surrounded by beatiful homes and landscaping.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:02 AM

769 posts, read 1,827,194 times
If you want a corporate job instead of public accounting, look at the big companies in the area. Outback, Jabil, FIS, Baycare, Raymond James. There are also some good headhunters around. I recommend Taylor White and K Force.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:57 AM

463 posts, read 914,246 times
Well Craig covered everything you need to know about nightlife and places to live in. One thing tho, you will not find place in SoHo for $600 a month, unless you are OK with 300 sq ft room to call your apartment. $700 is pushing, but possible for 500-600 sq ft place or renting from private owner, but normally its $800+ for rent out there.

Other than that, the area is great, especially if you are good looking, outgoing and ready to have fun. SoHo draws people from college age to mid 35s. Friend scene is a OK at best, since everyone is in groups of friends and it's not very easy to attach itself to them. Club sports/evens is pretty good way to meet some people if you looking for a more laid back atmosphere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or