Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 01:41 PM

3 posts, read 8,187 times

Advertisements

Wondering if this is a nice area ? What kind of neighborhood is it ? Are the people friendly ? We are Canadian and buying this house to eventually winter in. Is it adviseable to have an empty house in this area ? If the pool doesnt have screening, will it continue to run while we are not there ? Would we need to have a pool company check it, or is there a cover you can put over it ? Lots and lots of questions......so many houses seem to be for sale.....is it because the people are elderly ?
Thanks, Bonnie Canuck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 02:07 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,843,151 times
I am not a fan of Aloha Gardens. I haven't actually been back in there for a few years, but the last time I was there, everything was kind of run down.

Also, if you will be wintering here, why would you want a pool? Unless you are talking about a heated pool you won't get much good out of it.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:43 PM

27,206 posts, read 46,557,818 times
Having a pool is always more maintenance and the best thing is to have it Caged in.

I agree with the previous poster that if you want to use it in the Winter you need a heated pool, otherwise you depend on the weather and most likely you won't be able to use it from Late October until February, unless you like cold water.

There are many good deals out there for investors and the latest housing news is that many investors are buying and we know it is true!

Old 04-21-2011, 03:11 PM

494 posts, read 1,667,078 times
The pool will need water and chemical addition during the winter. If it's uncovered it might turn into a mess if a storm blows junk into it. Probably going to need a service at least once in a while or somebody to keep an eye on it.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:02 PM

30,182 posts, read 20,914,914 times
I would stay away from Hoiliday at any cost. Most of the area is run down with drug dealers and low class renters. And i did say MOST of the area, not all. If the price for a house is very low then watch out.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:32 PM

17,466 posts, read 38,877,668 times
Even in it's heyday it wasn't much. My first set of in-laws lived there in the late 70's and I hated it.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:54 PM

7,119 posts, read 8,602,396 times
I would stay away from Holiday, look in Tarpon Springs. If you want a pool get a pool service for at least the months you aren't in Florida! I would also want it heated and caged!

Old 04-21-2011, 06:49 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,177,969 times
Holiday--only its name that sounds nice. Better come and check the place before buying. The price is tempting but watch out. There is a reason for something to be cheap. The market sets it for whatever reason.

Here are some points to consider based on your question

1) If you are a snow bird, I question the economy of having pool. Heating a pool winter time is a lot of money.

2) You need to take care of a pool all the time. Winter time you could do every two weeks. But summer time you have to attend every week. You can't just blanket it and forget it. If you can't be all year round hire a pool company.

3) You probably want to have a cage otherwise it is a lot of work. Also, for people like us who have nature in the back there are all kind of creatures that will creep in. Even the mosquitos could be annoying.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:25 PM

Thanks for all the valuable info. I will be coming down May 28 to have a look see.
My friends bought in Holiday on the south side, and I believe his sister also lives there. Here in Canada we have a pool and if it gets over 70, we go in, maybe just float on top. 80 is better. We are pretty hardy ! I agree, need a cage.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:27 PM

Maybe we could rig up a solar heating system on the roof of the house, thats what my neighbors did here in Canada. Bunch of black tubes in glass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: