Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 11:19 AM

1 posts, read 2,653 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
We are gay family (two women with twin one year old sons) and currently live in Manhattan. I am the primary bread winner and my job is "virtual" so I can work from anywhere and we would not be looking for new jobs in the Tampa area. We are considering a move to St. Pete to be able to be outdoors more and to get more space. We love NYC, but it is so expensive and buying a place with our own yard is out of the question. We are also not huge fans of the winter! We've visted the Tampa area many times as my Aunt lives there and my Dad is a snow bird there for part of the year.

Our primary concern is to be in an area where our family is accepted and our boys do not feel threatened or ostracized. We are also looking for an area that is somewhat walkable and has some culture/arts. We understand that St. Pete is not NYC and don't expect it to be, but would like an area with an intellectual vibe, and a few cafes to walk to, if possible.

My question is, would St. Pete be a good place for us? And if so, are there particular neighborhoods that you recommend?
Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 11:37 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,308,809 times
I dont think the bay area is as progressive and liberal as NYC, but there is a gay presence here in the city, which includes nightlife and social events, a lot of which gravitate from ybor city in Tampa. While I think Tampa and St Pete would be accepting of your lifestyle, you might find that the more conservative, far less proressive outlying suburbs may show signs of ignorance. Focus on neighborhoods that offer more culture, or are a little more prominent. If St Pete is a must, downtown would be my reccomendation. Tampa has a few options which I think would interest you, that include south tampa/hyde park. It puts you close to ybor if being near the epicenter of the LGBT community in a city is imperitive. either way, I think you'll be fine in this area.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:37 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
St. Pete has a huge concentration of gays (my own gay cousin and his partner live there and LOVE it!) and I think you would be right in your element.

Here is a good website that can give you insite into neighborhoods:

Neighborhoods - Gay St. Pete

And another:

Welcome to Gay Friendly St. Petersburg Florida

St. Petersburg has an absolutely beautiful waterfront downtown with a lot of museums, parks, restaurants and indie shops/cafes. It will be very small town compared to NYC, but if you don't mind "laid-back and bohemian" there is much to enjoy there.

Hope this helps and good luck to you!

Old 04-26-2011, 01:53 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
St. Pete would be fine. I have a friend who lives in St. Pete with his SO and they are raising 4 kids there.

I would recommend S. Tampa if you are considering Tampa. I know several gay couples who live there. Once you are in the area you will be able to find the right area for you.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:54 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,303,620 times
You shouldn't have any problems in the Tampa-St. Pete urban area, but the rural areas might be a different story.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:24 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,224,561 times
Historic Kenwood has many gay families. Nice, classic homes.

Off subject but, how does one go about getting a "virtual" job? Sounds a lot better than what I'm doing now.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:44 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,756,832 times
I have a friend in North Tampa who has the same situation and they have no issues

Old 04-27-2011, 05:18 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,946,544 times
I agree with ferret, TSP will be fine due to it being an urban area and my personal bet is people don't even bat an eye at the 2 of you holding hands or showing affection in public unless they think it's cute and smile your direction. Florida is a big live and let live state whether your northern, southern, gay, straight, bi, trans, white, black, hispanic, male, female, conservative, liberal, city people, or rednecks.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:26 AM

494 posts, read 1,676,256 times
Seminole Heights / Hampton Terrace has many group events / parties / families of gender assortment as well.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:40 AM

794 posts, read 1,860,611 times
I'm not in your position and have not walked in your shoes, so I don't know the bias you face, but I would not concentrate on the potential for intolerance down here in Tampa, but rather living a wonderful life like anyone else has the right to. With that said, I personally feel the Tampa area is slowly becoming more and more progressive but it is still a very religious area strewn with retired folks who hold on to old beliefs. Bottom line is "who gives a crap" (can you tell i'm from NY as well)? Just live your life like you have the right to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay