U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-27-2011, 01:46 PM

4 posts, read 3,915 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I am a 27 year-old professional about to move down to Tampa. I have looked around quite a bit and really liked the Ybor City area. I will be working from home quite a bit, so the close proximity to coffee shops, restaurants and bars is a definite attraction. I found a complex right at 19th and Palm Ave (The Quarter at Ybor).

I was pumped about Ybor until I got wind of the crime, safety and danger concerns of the area. I like to have a good time and part of the benefit of living in such close proximity would be to walk home after a fun night. I probably wouldn't be in the clubs, but rather hitting bars like Gasper's Grotto and the like.

What I would like to know is would I feel safe walking home the 3 blocks by myself or with my lady friend after a fun night? Or would I be more apt to put myself in a cab for door-to-door service? I have tried to dig up general crime statistics, but nothing seems clear cut. Any help in providing some additional perspective on the area would be greatly appreciated!

PS> I have checked out the South Tampa area too and like that, but feel it would be hard to come by a place with a washer/dryer at a reasonable price and within walking distance of things to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 01:58 PM

286 posts, read 662,053 times
Don't listen to that crap my friend. Historic Ybor is very safe and any crime is all from related fights et. al after the clubs close. I go to school there and I virtually never hear sirens and I've never seen anything out of line go down. Historic Ybor's boundaries are: I4, 22nd street, Nuccio Parkway, and Adamo. The worst you'll get is an occasional panhandler but they're just a minor annoyance. Really I'm 160 on a rainy day and am obviously a college student, walking around after my night classes and no one hassles me.

The Quarter is a nice complex but there's also nice places south of Seventh if you haven't looked there.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:19 PM

495 posts, read 803,673 times
Channelside has a lot of apartments too, can walk to Ybor or take the trolley.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:44 PM

817 posts, read 1,132,818 times
You'll be fine, crime there is not that bad.

If you live in far-flung suburban areas, and never come in to Tampa except to see a Lightning game or whatever, and you see some homeless guy standing on a corner in Ybor on the ONE time a year you get there, then it might seem bad...but really, there is nothing really bad about Ybor. If I was a single 27 year old guy, I'd consider living there. The core area of Ybor, where you're referring to, is especially ok.

I wouldn't walk around flashing 100 dollar bills, or be a hot single girl dressed slutty and walking alone at 4 am, but if you have even the vaguest of common sense, you're more than safe to live in Ybor.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:21 AM

4 posts, read 3,915 times
Thanks for all the help! I had a feeling that the whole crime thing was blown out of proportion. I'm moving to Ybor and will report back in a few months to give some extra perspective on living in the area.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:31 PM

3,238 posts, read 2,028,835 times
If buying consider that Ybor is not the place to raise a family. And you will have a hard time selling, as the supply of 20 somethings that have the money to buy homes is small and shrinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay