U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-28-2011, 11:37 AM

5 posts, read 2,443 times

Advertisements

I have been thinking a lot lately. I currently was let go from my Employer on March 23. I am single, 35 male, have an M.B.A. in Information Systemes and have several Microsoft skills. Am currently looking in the I.T. field for a job. I have a girlfriend that I love but she says she does not want a kid and I am leaning towards having one of my own and im not sure she will go for it again (she already has a teenager that drives her crazy). So even giving the right opportunity, I may pack up and leave. Things seem stale in our relationship now but could change? My dad is the closest family member I have left living which he lives with his girlfriend.

I am passionate about scuba diving, beaches, water, city life, and sports(Who-Dat). I am thinking Tampa area would be perfect for me? I also always had a thing latin women too. hehe I have lived in NOLA all my life. I am not worried about hurricanes to much either, of course, i say that now??

Where is your employment and the hours you will be working.
Still looking but wont move unless I have one there.

What is your budget for housing. Do you want to rent or buy?
Rent first, buy a house later. house budet around 150,000-200,000

Are schools a concern? not now

What is an acceptable commute time?
30 minutes

What else is important to you?

quality of life

How is Tampa citizens compared to NOLA's citizens? Anyone from NOLA did this move? Who else moved to Tampa recently and what was your experience? Thanks for the feedback
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 01:45 PM

3,719 posts, read 2,898,885 times
I'd pick Tampa Bay over New Orleans in a second-there's no comparing the two in quality of life, but I understand how NOLA gets in your blood. It's hard to leave home sometimes.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:28 PM

3,238 posts, read 1,960,158 times
No, stay there.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:39 PM

I am guessing it depends on the person. I could be just needing a vacation and may retire there one day. I guess I fear I being lonely in a big city. I am pretty much established and have my networking down over here in NOLA but i think if I had the chance I can do it again elsewhere. I would love to be able to scuba dive every month but it is hard over here in NOLA.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
No, stay there.
why you say that? I forgot to mention that I do not drink alcohol but can go out and have fun. I am pretty much done with the French Quarter. I enjoy outdoor activities and nature, especially the beach and water.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:49 PM

1,273 posts, read 2,736,502 times
if you are educated and have IT skills entirely forget tampa...head in the other direction to places like austin, dallas or even so cal or noCal if u want a place with decent weather. the job market and pay scale in tampa are a joke, dont waste your time

Old 04-28-2011, 05:35 PM

yeah. I thought about Austin but I prefer to be near nice beach and water.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:39 PM

10,287 posts, read 16,813,241 times
Tampa Bay has a lot to offer. It doesn't hurt to come down and give it a try. From your post, I think you would enjoy it here. And if after a time it doesn't work out you can always move on.

Good luck to you!

Old 04-28-2011, 05:42 PM

120 posts, read 206,736 times
JSnFla doesn't know what she/he is talking about, IT here can easily make 6 figures if you have the specialty needed. Check out this article <http://www.tampabay.org/subpage.asp?navid=1&id=87> or <http://www.floridahightech.com/hightechindustry.php> Cut/Paste

The only thing the New Orleans got going for it is Bourbon Street, that is about it. All the activities you are looking for are in Tampa Bay. If you like the waterfront St. Pete has it: kayaking, sailing, scuba, and even dolphins. I know people who live on their boat.

Last edited by starwins; 04-28-2011 at 05:55 PM..

Old 04-29-2011, 08:29 AM

I agree starwins. There is actually more I.T. jobs in Tampa area with great pay than NOLA. I researched this. not to mention I heard tampa is known as the I.T. pipeline of FL.

Now I just need to get hired from applying online. I haven't had any luck yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay