U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 05:28 PM

47 posts, read 151,159 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Michigan (may have seen my previous post)...we had visited different areas of Florida. We decided on Tampa, but I currently work for a bank that doesnt have a branch in Tampa. Offices are in Boca Raton, Ft. Lauderdale, Weston and Naples. We are planning to move the end of this month, and I THOUGHT that my aggressive job search would land SOMETHING in Tampa. Unfortunately, after 2-3 weeks of dozens of resumes--no luck! What is up with the Job Market Tampa????? I've had one call from a company who left a message on my voicemail...I called back and got her voicemail...Nothing!!! I've sent resumes to Metlife, USF college/& Research Center, T-Mobile, Banks and many other companies throughout or near the New Tampa areas (within 15 miles) I have call center/banking/clerical experience.

Here's the thing: At this point, job openings have come up with the company I am with (in Boca)--and wondering if we should re-plan our move. Fort Lauderdale, hands down is more expensive--but the schools has it's perks. Everyone I know who lives in Fort Lauderdale says Tampa is ghetto/no jobs/no value after purchasing a home//can't sell your home after you buy...why Tampa????

Anyone either:
Moved from Detroit to Tampa---absolutely love it or hate it?
Moved from Tampa to Ft. Lauderdale (or vice versa) -- love it or hate it?
Lives in Tampa and can't find a job????

In other words, I need help! Should we move near Boca area and take the job I already have--because the chances are I won't find anything in Tampa (or it will take longer than I think to find one)...???Sacrifice the smaller apt. with a paying job...or move to a declining city with no job--bigger apt???
Is the economy in Tampa really bad--???

& P.S. With the higher cost of living in Florida now---me and my husband would both need to work IMMEDIATELY after moving.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 05:33 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,740,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEMOZ View Post
Here's the thing: At this point, job openings have come up with the company I am with (in Boca)--and wondering if we should re-plan our move. Fort Lauderdale, hands down is more expensive--but the schools has it's perks. Everyone I know who lives in Fort Lauderdale says Tampa is ghetto/no jobs/no value after purchasing a home//can't sell your home after you buy...why Tampa????

Everybody in Tampa says the same thing about Fort Lauderdale.

I think Fort Lauderdale area has nicer suburbs for families (not to mention a LOT lower crime) , but Tampa is really nice too. Why don't you take the job in Weston? Thats easily the nicest area out of all of those. Plus if you live out that way towards Weston in a place like Davie or Cooper City, you will never have to sit in traffic again and have some really well established good schools and family neighborhoods. Couldn't imagine having a higher quality of life than that. Boca is good too, if you live and work in Boca the schools are good and the rent is a little more affordable, but the people are really pretentious. Nearby Parkland is even nicer, but it's practically for millionaires. You COULD live in Coral Springs, 10th safest city in the U.S, but to be honest with you, the school districts there have seen some better days, especially at the high school level. Still good teachers and well run though if you keep an eye on your children, as these schools have the advantage of being well established.

I would really do Weston or Boca Raton area if you can afford it. If not, Tampa is by no means a bad choice. Just continue to do your research in the schools!

Old 08-01-2007, 05:56 PM

975 posts, read 3,430,253 times
OMG -- I don't know what to think now. One person says Tampa job market is decent, another says terrible, on and on.....

Are you sure the problem isn't that they just don't want to bother with someone who has to relocate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEMOZ View Post
We currently live in Michigan (may have seen my previous post)...we had visited different areas of Florida. We decided on Tampa, but I currently work for a bank that doesnt have a branch in Tampa. Offices are in Boca Raton, Ft. Lauderdale, Weston and Naples. We are planning to move the end of this month, and I THOUGHT that my aggressive job search would land SOMETHING in Tampa. Unfortunately, after 2-3 weeks of dozens of resumes--no luck! What is up with the Job Market Tampa????? I've had one call from a company who left a message on my voicemail...I called back and got her voicemail...Nothing!!! I've sent resumes to Metlife, USF college/& Research Center, T-Mobile, Banks and many other companies throughout or near the New Tampa areas (within 15 miles) I have call center/banking/clerical experience.

Anyone either:
Moved from Detroit to Tampa---absolutely love it or hate it?
Moved from Tampa to Ft. Lauderdale (or vice versa) -- love it or hate it?
Lives in Tampa and can't find a job????

In other words, I need help! Should we move near Boca area and take the job I already have--because the chances are I won't find anything in Tampa (or it will take longer than I think to find one)...???Sacrifice the smaller apt. with a paying job...or move to a declining city with no job--bigger apt???
Is the economy in Tampa really bad--???

& P.S. With the higher cost of living in Florida now---me and my husband would both need to work IMMEDIATELY after moving.

Thank you in advance.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:02 PM

975 posts, read 3,430,253 times
also, I did get a callback for a computer job in Lakeland (near Tampa) I applied for online -- it kind of petered out though, I think they probably got a local person for it. I think there are good jobs there, you just have to keep trying. 2-3 weeks doesn't sound like a very long job search.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:58 PM

84 posts, read 350,113 times
Hey Kemoz,

There is citibank,chase, hsn, , all kinds of things around the Tampa Bay area. Go to monster.com, tbo.com, or st. Pete Times(local newspaper) all have plenty of jobs. Bic Graphic has job fairs monthly for call center/cust svc jobs and medical is huge and they will pay you & train you. Just tell them the date you can start and hope they will work around it. If not, call a temp agency in the area and get jobs lined up for the week you arrive. They are desperate for help around here, just apply like mad and something will turn up. You don't have to live in Tampa to work there and I think Lakeland is a hole IMHO. You can rent a house 5-10 minutes to the beach for $800-1200 a month in Pinellas County and it is only a 20 minute drive to work. Or if you are looking for something small & cheap you could do a cool little apt. for $600, not really sure what kind of housing you are thinking of but very doable ...Don't let people scare you and if you need some names of companies just let me know and I will help you if I can.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:04 PM

47 posts, read 151,159 times
You are right. I knew having an Out of State address would put me at the bottom of the resumes. With this economy, competition is everywhere. We would need to continue planning and saving or maybe take the position in Boca if we find housing. I just really liked Tampa :-( Thank you for help.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:47 AM

1,824 posts, read 7,616,544 times
You could rent in Boca for while, meanwhile you would have a Florida address, and continue to look into moving to Tampa. With only a 2% unemployment rate in the city of Tampa, pickings are slim, it really depends on what you do, and how you market yourself to the companies. There are PLENTY of sales jobs of all types in the area.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:07 AM

192 posts, read 1,074,976 times
Unemployment rate in Tampa......3.9%.......most of the remaining unemployed choose to not participate in the capitalist market place......

Old 08-02-2007, 09:55 AM

6 posts, read 18,554 times
i am all ready to move to tampa/st pete area.... except

i have been trying to get an xray tech position for 2 months in the tampa/st pete area with no luck.... no even a call back, just a generic letter saying thanks you are qualified but no thanks

after reading this post i guess its because i am still in NY and i have a ny address on my resume.....

i dont think its wise to move without a job, but from the looks of it i might have to.....

thanks for the post about the address helped alot

Old 08-02-2007, 10:07 AM

1,824 posts, read 7,616,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonynorie View Post
Unemployment rate in Tampa......3.9%.......most of the remaining unemployed choose to not participate in the capitalist market place......
LOL...i must have taken the year 2000 data where it was 2.5%, this article from June 2007 now says its 3.3%..and Tampa is ranked 15th most economic vitality cities in the nation(out of 379 cities).

Mayor's Office News & Information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or