Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2011, 05:40 PM

3 posts, read 5,100 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to Tampa sometime in the Fall. We've been doing a little research on the internet but love to have more personal opinions. That's how you get the truth! My husband will be working @ MacDill. We are looking for houses in the following areas Riverview, Wesley Chapel, Valrico, Brandon, Odessa, Lutz, Land O Lakes and New Tampa...just to name a few, ! My son will be a junior so we definitely need to be in a good school district as well. We've been looking on greatschools.com and the schools in those areas seem to be pretty decent. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 07:09 PM

36 posts, read 72,977 times
Edit the subject a little bit and I'm sure you'll get more responses.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:38 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,654,792 times
I live in Tampa Palms (New Tampa). I think it would take forever to get to MacDill every day. All the areas you mentioned are pretty far away, unless he doesn't mind travelling that far every day. You may want to look into Westchase. It is much closer and had decent schools. The schools in New Tampa are okay.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:54 AM

463 posts, read 1,052,665 times
Well i hope you don't mind living at least 30 minutes away from the MacDill. If you need anything closer, check out south tampa. Schools are great, nice place to live but it is more expensive than the suburbs you mentioned. BUt then again, i don't know what is your range so that expensive part can be false to you.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:42 AM

3 posts, read 7,245 times
We live in N. Valrico area. probably a 45 min. commute to MacDill. The area is nice. Although a bit of traffic. The produce here is fabulous! Strawberry Crest HS was recently built. There is school choice here so you can apply to the schools of interest. There are also a good number of private schools in the area as well along with Charters. Lots and lots of options for schools.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:07 AM

Thx! My husband is claiming he doesn't mind the commute but he's never really had to commute before so I'm sure he'll be changing his story after a while, lol! We hear that there are a few options for carpools too. I'll check out South Tampa too. It may be out of our price range but I'll give it a look. We probably want to stay under $350K. Oh, yes, Westchase seems like a nice area too. Has anyone utilized the school choice option and actual got their choice?

Old 05-29-2011, 08:06 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,373,473 times
Bloomingdale and Fishhawk are both areas to consider. Lots of military in the area and very good schools.

I am prejudiced, but I think Bloomingdale is the better of the two, as you'll get a lot more for your housing dollar there and the traffic won't be as bad. Also, there is an express shuttle from Bloomingdale to MacDill that a lot of the military folks utilize. I believe it even has wireless internet access, too!

Fishhawk has some serious traffic issues which are in the process of being resolved in a couple of years. That being said, you'll have close to $2,000.00 a year to pay in CDD fees, so consider that in your monthly escrow. Bloomingdale has HOA fees, but they are only a few hundred dollars a year, depending on what section you live in.

School choice in these areas is not necessary, as you have some of the best schools in the county in both. Bloomingdale and Newsome are the high schools and are both good, as are Burns, Randall and Barrington (middle schools) and Alafia (one of the few A rated schools for every year since the program began) and Fishhawk Creek/Bevis/Stowers. Fishhawk Creek is very overcrowded, but Bevis and Stowers aren't bad.

You can get more details on the schools at the school district web site:

www.sdhc.k12.fl.us

Fishhawk is newer and has a lot of nice amenities, but you pay dearly for them with the CDD fees. Bloomingdale is older and more established, but has a very nice YMCA and little league, as well as several community and private parks.

Good luck on your move, and welcome to Tampa!

RM

Old 05-29-2011, 08:13 AM

2,539 posts, read 4,086,371 times
Just south of Riverview, just off of Big Bend Rd. are many communities with plenty of military families and about a 30 minute drive to the base.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Bloomingdale and Fishhawk are both areas to consider. Lots of military in the area and very good schools.

I am prejudiced, but I think Bloomingdale is the better of the two, as you'll get a lot more for your housing dollar there and the traffic won't be as bad. Also, there is an express shuttle from Bloomingdale to MacDill that a lot of the military folks utilize. I believe it even has wireless internet access, too!

Fishhawk has some serious traffic issues which are in the process of being resolved in a couple of years. That being said, you'll have close to $2,000.00 a year to pay in CDD fees, so consider that in your monthly escrow. Bloomingdale has HOA fees, but they are only a few hundred dollars a year, depending on what section you live in.

School choice in these areas is not necessary, as you have some of the best schools in the county in both. Bloomingdale and Newsome are the high schools and are both good, as are Burns, Randall and Barrington (middle schools) and Alafia (one of the few A rated schools for every year since the program began) and Fishhawk Creek/Bevis/Stowers. Fishhawk Creek is very overcrowded, but Bevis and Stowers aren't bad.

You can get more details on the schools at the school district web site:

www.sdhc.k12.fl.us

Fishhawk is newer and has a lot of nice amenities, but you pay dearly for them with the CDD fees. Bloomingdale is older and more established, but has a very nice YMCA and little league, as well as several community and private parks.

Good luck on your move, and welcome to Tampa!

RM
We stumbled upon the CDD Fees during our research. I had never heard of it before. We're hearing a alot about Fishhawk. But yes, if we could avoid a CDD it would be great. I agree, I don't think finding a good school will be a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay