U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 08:18 AM

44 posts, read 43,428 times
Default Why is food so expensive in Florida?

Hi,

I'm new to the forums. My family of 4 are looking to move to Tampa with my employer. Of course, I'm considering the cost of living versus my current home in Southern Indiana. One thing I'm surprised to hear on the forums is how food is expensive in Florida.

I'm surprised by this because, in grocery stores here, we get a lot of our produce from Florida and the prices for produce around here are not outrageous at all. Why, in Florida of all places - where produce can be grown practically year round, is food so expensive?

By the way, I'm not just going by what I read on the forums. We've vacationed in several areas and I'm always a little shocked by the prices.

Any good theories as to why? Are produce stands any better than the supermarket chains?

Thanks!
Becky

Old 05-10-2011, 08:29 AM

7,872 posts, read 4,603,171 times
Hi. Welcome to the forum. To check food prices simply go to the websites of the major supermarkets here and see their weekly ads. We have:

Publix

Aldi

Winn Dixie

Wal Mart

Sam's Club

Sweetbay

Sav-A-Lot

There are others, but those are the major chains. There are also a lot of smaller non-chain stores. I just got a seeded watermelon in one of our local stores for $4.99 when the supermarkets want $7.99 or so. It just takes a little effort to shop around and know your prices so you can compare with the others.

Good luck!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckypooh1972 View Post
Hi,

I'm new to the forums. My family of 4 are looking to move to Tampa with my employer. Of course, I'm considering the cost of living versus my current home in Southern Indiana. One thing I'm surprised to hear on the forums is how food is expensive in Florida.

I'm surprised by this because, in grocery stores here, we get a lot of our produce from Florida and the prices for produce around here are not outrageous at all. Why, in Florida of all places - where produce can be grown practically year round, is food so expensive?

By the way, I'm not just going by what I read on the forums. We've vacationed in several areas and I'm always a little shocked by the prices.

Any good theories as to why? Are produce stands any better than the supermarket chains?

Thanks!
Becky

Old 05-10-2011, 08:32 AM

11 posts, read 16,766 times
We are moving to Florida from Michigan (I went to college in Indiana) and I had the same thought. We can get a gallon of milk up here for 2.50 - my husband is already in Florida right now (we will be joining him once school ends) and he said a gallon of milk is 3.79!!! When we moved him down there I ran to the store - sliced turkey breast was $10 a pound!!! Up here - on sale - you can get it for $3.99 - not on sale 5.50! Cheese was expensive as well!

Not sure why. I will say - I think food in Indiana is super cheap - when we moved back to Michigan after college we were floored by the difference between Michigan and Indiana.

I was told - for fruit - you don't buy it at the store. You find fruit markets and buy that at the fruit markets. That makes sense to me - they told me that it make take a while to find one you like but once you do that is where you get most of your fresh produce.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:52 AM

5,453 posts, read 3,699,024 times
hahaha, ours comes from China!

There is no explanation for it, but the "official" explanation is that because the "gas prices are going up so is our food prices"! (Stores are totally gauging on several items. Orange Juice that's PRODUCED here should NOT cost $4.12 a gallon! that is ridiculous!)

Old 05-10-2011, 08:55 AM

7,872 posts, read 4,603,171 times
OJ is a commodity market traded item. Regardless of where it is processed the price is based on the "futures market" which controls the price of OJ.
Why even buy it. Grow your own orange trees and squeeze your own fresh orange juice. You must mean GOUGING, not gauging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post

There is no explanation for it, but the "official" explanation is that because the "gas prices are going up so is our food prices"! (Stores are totally gauging on several items. Orange Juice that's PRODUCED here should NOT cost $4.12 a gallon! that is ridiculous!)

Old 05-10-2011, 08:57 AM

534 posts, read 641,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post

Fresh squeezed from the local grove operators is $7-$8 a gallon

Old 05-10-2011, 09:13 AM
BBI

490 posts, read 395,801 times
Quote:
One thing I'm surprised to hear on the forums is how food is expensive in Florida. ... Why, in Florida of all places - where produce can be grown practically year round, is food so expensive? ... We've vacationed in several areas and I'm always a little shocked by the prices.
Prices are a reflection of how much cash buyers are willing/able to spend. This is why everything costs more in tourist traps -- vacationers have cash on hand. The fact that something sold in a supermarket is produced locally should have very little effect on price.

Food is pretty cheap in FL compared to where I moved from in the northeast. There was a lot more money up there than down here, so stores could charge more. I'd imagine there's a lot more money in the bay area than in southern IN, so I'm not surprised food costs more here than there. Such is capitalism.

If it costs more to live here than where you're moving from, make sure you'll be making sufficiently more money to (at least) balance things out.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:22 AM

769 posts, read 1,108,810 times
You have to buy in bulk there but I save a lot of money on groceries by getting most of it at Sam's Club. For example, lean ground beef there is $2.89 a pound but it's around $3.99 at Publix. I can also get a huge pack of chicken breast that feeds us (2 adults) 7 meals for around $13. I spend around $280 a month on groceries and we rarely eat out now (about once a week). We do buy some things at Publix and we buy a lot of drinks (soda, bottled water, beer).

Old 05-10-2011, 09:25 AM

11,966 posts, read 11,474,857 times
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks!
Becky

The reason most often used is distribution costs, which is why some grocers like Whole Foods Market (limited number of stores in Florida) and Trader Joe's (no locations at all) have been reluctant to come into the state. Fruit and Vegetables that are picked here are often shipped to distribution sites in the north part of the state (or Georgia or elsewhere) and then shipped back to grocery distribution sites in the state...creating double miles which equals higher prices passed onto the consumer. I shop at Whole Foods Market often for my produce and was shocked to see how small their produce area was in comparison to their stores elsewhere in the country, for much the same reason that they don't have the ability to price competitively since much of their items are organic AND shipped double the miles than normal. From Pensacola to Miami it's around 400 miles and around 800 down to Key West. Since it's almost always a one-way trip in terms of a full load for truck freight companies they have to charge to compensate for it being empty coming back. All that said, it's probably best to buy your in-season produce from your farmers market or farmstand. It might cost a bit more but you're actually getting items that have much higher nutrient values since they weren't picked a week or two prior and the items are naturally ripened versus "truck-ripened".

Old 05-10-2011, 10:42 AM

5,453 posts, read 3,699,024 times
Yes, sorry for the typo.....

How did this happen? I am sure this can't be dating back more than 50 years!??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
OJ is a commodity market traded item. Regardless of where it is processed the price is based on the "futures market" which controls the price of OJ.
Why even buy it. Grow your own orange trees and squeeze your own fresh orange juice.<< THAT'S NEXT..LOL You must mean GOUGING, not gauging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay