U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 03:51 PM

8 posts, read 9,284 times

Advertisements

I am 62 and my husband is 76 and we are selling our home and hope to move to the Largo, Florida area. We have been down there and looked around and found a mobile park named Colonial Village down from the Largo library and such and it seems ideal. The only thing that frightens me is the fact that I think you have to evacuate for storms and such and while I know we would only have to go next door to the new Senior Center I worry because my husband has issues if he gets nervous so it makes it a bit difficult to do anything on the spur of the moment..

If anyone can give me some tips on how it was to move from the North down there, how it might be to move from a huge house to a mobile (I am tired of taking care of so much and am fine with giving it all up), and any other information I would surely appreciate it.

Would it be too much to hope for that someone might live in or know something about Colonial Park Village mobile parK?

Thank you all so very much. Linda

Last edited by EasyLiving; 05-13-2011 at 04:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 11:15 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,438,501 times
About 2 years ago my MIL did the same thing. She moved from a nice big house to a mobile home park (for active seniors) with her husband. In fact they moved to a place only a few miles from where you are going. She was also tired of having to take care of the bigger house.

She used to live on the water here in the Tampa Bay area, so she knows all about evacuating for hurricanes. Luckily, I live in a high non-flood area so she can always come stay with us. Hurricanes aren't like tornadoes or earthquakes. You get plenty of warning before they come. You will know several days out whether there is even a chance of you being hit. Just haave a hurricane kit ready and you will be fine. Here is a link to what you should have: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/HAW2/pdf/EVACBOOK3.pdf
If Colonial Village is like most of the others in the area, buy a golf cart to ride around the park. It is a good way to get out and enjoy the weather. Also, many of those parks are filled mainly with snowbirds, so in the summer months the pool won't be too crowded.

Come on down and have some fun.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:45 AM

3,237 posts, read 5,137,489 times
There hasnt been a storm which we have had to evacuate since 2005 (it didnt hit), and there has not been a hurricane actually HIT Tampa Bay area since the 60's.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:19 PM

34,397 posts, read 41,499,470 times
Some data on Tampa Bays hurricane history

Tampa,Florida hurricanes

Old 05-14-2011, 03:04 PM

Default Thank you all

Thank you all so very much. We have lived in this house for over 35 years so it is a bit daunting to think of moving, let alone to somewhere so very different. I really feel pulled to the area because of several reasons. We had went down to check out a park that a friend lives in and it was suitable for my husband, who has many issues, and while visiting the old Senior Center I was told about Colonial Village and when I saw it and its location near so many things that we need and like it just seems perfect. I would rather have a condo but I do no think that they offer the amenities that we need. Too many problems reported with them as well. CV is resident owned so I am thinking that is a way to go.

Guess I will have to make friends with folks who have substantial homes to avoid having to evacuate to the Senior Center.

I had read where there were few hurricanes that hit the Clearwater/Largo area because of how it is situated. I would rather deal with hurricanes after having had tornadoes sneak in the middle of the night in Indiana.

Anyone who might tell me the downside of the area so I will know what to expect would be appreciated. I am thinking the heat and humidity will be the biggest problems. With a/c I think that is alright as it also means no snow for me to shovel. Insurance costs are a worry as I have heard they can be twice what I am used to paying.

Now to sell our lovely home and head south.

Looking forward to joining you all soon. Linda

Old 05-14-2011, 07:12 PM

15 posts, read 39,251 times
Glad to hear you're looking forward to your move. I don't have much advice to offer, but... I lived in a mobile home in AL for 4 years, and the quality/zone that the mobile home is constructed for can make a big difference for you. Because they are elevated off the ground, mobile homes can be notoriously expensive to heat or cool-- all sides of the home are exposed to the elements, including the floor. Add a metal roof to that and subpar insulation, and the electricity costs can be really high. Look for a mobile home that is good quality and preferably built and maintained for hurricane zones.

Regarding evacuation, I know it seems like it will be a pain to evacuate, but if there's a big storm coming then most other people will evacuate as well, not just those in mobile homes. I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about hurricanes... there's no way to stop them, and just deal with them as they come.

I wish you the best in your move!

Old 05-15-2011, 07:15 AM

Default Good to know

Florida41, thank you for the input. Hearing about others situations makes it easier for me to think of our options. I will be the decision maker and am afraid of making a mistake that we cannot afford. We presently live in a huge house (18 rooms) in a cold climate so if the electric bill is no more than we presently pay for gas/electric combined I am good to go. Our house has been amazingly decent all things considered though. The park has older homes from the 60's and I am hoping that they have been upgraded with some insulation and such and do plan to investigate that. I would prefer a newer home with better specs but since it is the location that we love so much I am hoping it will work out. I would love a condo but there does not seem to be any that fit the same criteria as the mobile home parks, no pets (am allergic), no renting allowed, background checks, small enough to contain my husband safely and with a community building where he will have some self sufficiency, something close where I can get to shopping and do what is needed when he is no longer able to get out of bed, and maybe a friend or two that I can sit and talk to without a keyboard between us. Not that I am downgrading internet friends at all but one does wish for a bit more sometimes.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:17 PM

An update - we have sold our home and I am in the process of packing up this huge house that I have lived in for far more than half of my 62 years. You cannot imagine just how much stuff that is. Neither could I until I started in.

I want to be out so the new folks, who have a family history with the house and will love it as much as we have, can get in. The car will be loaded with just what I can fit in it to take down with us. We will be homeless for a bit while we look around. An amazing journey at this stage of our lives.

So many questions but so looking forward to being down there and hope it is mostly what I expect.

Thank you all and any suggestions welcome.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:42 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,581,201 times
You have a huge job ahead! After all that time in a house, I can only imagine all the things you accumulate. Just think of all the ones you won't be needing here, like the snow blower and everything that revolves around that.
Wish you the best in your move to sunny Florida!

Old 06-01-2011, 05:30 AM

4 posts, read 5,044 times
Congrats on your move to Tampa! I am from Indiana as well, moving to Brandon/Riverview area June 17th. My fiance' and I are both in our early to mid 30's, but I am always looking for friends, and I don't know anyone down there as of yet. Would love to get together with a fellow hoosier for some coffee and company. Let me know when you get settled in. ) Might be able to help out with a place to stay if indeed you need to evacuate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay