U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-16-2011, 05:27 PM

371 posts, read 788,496 times

Advertisements

Every year, we celebrate my daughter's birthday by making it our small yearly family vacation. While living in other states, we made it to Magic Kingdom several years in a row. Now that I'm in Fl, I actually don't want to do DW in June. I looked at Nick Hotel which ends up being super expensive for even midweek overnight.
Any other ideas for either overnight or day trip type places that would be fun and special for a 3y and 5y old? Only other place I could think of is Bush Gardens for the day.
Again, though money is tight, this is our family vacation too!
thanks to anyone who responds!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 06:29 PM

1,131 posts, read 2,491,411 times
I don't know if this is your cup of tea, but the Tradewinds Resort in St. Pete has some nice activities for kids. They have a birthday party bash that sounds like fun for the day as well: http://www.tradewindsresort.com/uplo...e.pdf#zoom=100 and the list of activities of this resort is: Kids | Tradewinds Resorts | St Pete Beach Family Hotels | Kid-Friendly. Another fun thing for the little ones as a day trip is Dinasaur World: Dinosaur World – Plant City Florida | Dinosaur World. They also do birthday parties as well. My daughter loved Pump It Up. They do a fabulous job. Not sure if it would be for a little bit older kids because they have the kids jumping and have races, so they have to be able to stay in line and listen. When my daughter was turning 6, we had her party at MOSI. That was fun as well. However, I feel the "Kids In Charge" where they have the parties, looks like it is falling apart. I don't know if they have fixed it up. Many things were broken, dirty and it was crowded.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:42 PM

2,527 posts, read 2,408,972 times
have you tried,

Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo Voted #1 By Parents Magazine Non-profit zoological garden, Florida Wildlife Center, and Manatee Aquatic Center. Virtual safari, zoo school, events, merchandise, and visitors ... lowryparkzoo.com

Old 05-16-2011, 08:22 PM

817 posts, read 1,113,220 times
I'd second Lowry Park Zoo.

You might also consider the Florida Aquarium.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:15 PM

371 posts, read 788,496 times
thx all! We actually had passes to the zoo this year, so Lowry was frequented all year! That's why I looked into Bush Gardens, knowing they had animals, plus Sesame Place..... will keep searching.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:33 AM

464 posts, read 534,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post
I'd second Lowry Park Zoo.

You might also consider the Florida Aquarium.
The expo a little short. I think we skipped one show and were done with the expo in about 3 hours.

Check out dophin racer for a trip to see dolphins and watch them surf in front of the boat. After that you still have time to do something else.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:36 AM

3,267 posts, read 4,314,488 times
Heck, take the 5 year-old to Dino-World... I think its in Lakeland. Yeah, its lame for us grown folks, but little kids think its amazing and thoroughly enjoy it. Best part... you can find BOGO coupons and save a bundle. I bet they even have birthday packages. I understand you and many other grown ups will find this place lame.. but the birthday is not for them and your little bundle of joy will have a great time.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:35 PM

737 posts, read 1,244,238 times
Back in the day, one of my Daughter's best B-day party was a fashion show. All of the girls dressed up, we played music while they came down the "runway" (living room), played board games (everyone won a prize). I made the cake because we couldn't even think about ordering a cake. The Moms all stayed for tea/coffee and had great photo opportunities. It was her favorite birthday party; far more than her Sweet Sixteen, which is when I had money to get the DJ and rent a party room with a caterer. Sadly, I guess, those times are gone.
too add: that is her favorite Birthday memory. She doesn't remember the gifts or cake; she remembers the care of the planning and being part of it at 5 years old, selecting music, decorating the "runway". The whole thing was less than $50 USD including invitations and decorations.

Last edited by SunsetBeachFL; 05-19-2011 at 05:39 PM.. Reason: to add...

Old 05-20-2011, 11:01 AM

2,406 posts, read 4,721,046 times
We have had a few of our daughter's friends visit on or around their birthdays and we typically take them to Orlando.... we have taken our daughter and her friends to Epcot, Discovery Cove Universal Studios, etc. There are also amusement park packages where you can get 2-3 parks in one ticket if you want to make a whole weekend/week of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay