U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 06:10 PM

177 posts, read 353,213 times

Advertisements

We want to register our car as soon as possible after we arrive in Florida next month. Florida DMV says that the VIN number has to be verified. Where would be the best place to have that done in or near Sun City Center?

I think that there is a deputy who is around Sun CIty Center most of the time but I don't know if he does this service or how to reach him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 07:45 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,837,066 times
Just drive your car when you go to the DMV to register. They'll come out and verify it for you. Just make sure you have your title and insurance with you.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:58 PM

608 posts, read 964,961 times
Maggie is correct....however they don't call it the DMV down here, they call it the TAX COLLECTOR!!!

There is a State Police office at each Tax Collectors office who will accompany you to your vehicle and testify and notarize your VIN.

Good Luck!

Old 05-18-2011, 06:32 AM

9,911 posts, read 9,614,412 times
The Sun City Center area has one of those DMV/Tax Collector/Driver's Licensing offices - they're very efficient. It is located just on the other side of the I-75 on SR 674 (by Big Lots). There's always a deputy available to verify the VIN.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:52 AM

3,238 posts, read 1,943,892 times
DMV in Florida handles drivers licenses, it is part of the state Department of Transportation (DOT).

License Tags are handled by the County Tax Collector of the county you live in.

Some locations have both Tax Collector AND a DMV in one place. These are jointly staffed by state and county personnel which work on their different systems.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:56 AM

19,974 posts, read 16,085,506 times
Do they still charge a fee/tax to newcomers to Florida? as i seem to recall that newbee's coming to Florida had to pay an extra charge to either register their car or get a Florida drivers license
Its been awhile so i dont remember the details..

Old 05-19-2011, 05:58 AM

608 posts, read 964,961 times
Boy, do they ever charge.....It costs $400 with Tax, Tags, and License per automobile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Do they still charge a fee/tax to newcomers to Florida? as i seem to recall that newbee's coming to Florida had to pay an extra charge to either register their car or get a Florida drivers license
Its been awhile so i dont remember the details..

Old 05-19-2011, 07:59 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,059,989 times
It should be noted that the tax collectors offices that also have a driver's license section charge extra for DL services than if you went to the dedicated DL facilities, I think it's like $6 if I recall correctly. I consider it totally worth it, as a previous poster noted, they are super efficient with a computerized system that really keeps it all moving. Since they put in the system I have never had to wait longer than fifteen minutes even as a walk-in. You can also make an appointment if time is a big concern.

As for the impact fee, I think I remember that they had to stop doing that and even refund people who had paid it. So now we all pay through the nose, not just new transplants.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:51 AM

2,442 posts, read 2,139,319 times
Ahh i'm so glad we're military, i looked into getting FL plates/license and realized how stupidly expensive it was. My texas plates just cost 90 dollars

Old 05-19-2011, 12:18 PM

1,392 posts, read 851,148 times
i moved to florida a couple months ago. i had the tax collector's office do a visual vin verification when i went down to get my plate/registration. just an fyi - the lady mentioned you can have the verification done by a car dealership as well if for whatever reason you didn't bring your car to the tax office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay