U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2011, 01:24 PM

51 posts, read 151,629 times

Advertisements

I finally booked my first trip down there next week. I will be staying in a hotel downtown and looking at a couple apartment complexes (also downtown) that I've been checking out online (see previous thread). I would love to get a good flavor of the city while I'm there, and have several ideas of what I will do during my short trip. Just thought I would ask for any specific ideas from the people that live there. Knowing what you know about the area, what would you do with only a few days? I definitely plan on checking out the beaches. I'll also be alone, so any particular ideas for nightlife for a 23 yr old - where people are friendly and easy to talk to. I don't want to be lame and stay in my hotel because I don't know anyone down there haha, plus it would be nice to meet some locals. Thanks.

Last edited by ablueg35; 05-22-2011 at 01:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 06:55 AM

428 posts, read 1,323,936 times
Lots of bars/restaurants/clubs right downtown. The Ale and the WItch is an excellent craft brew pub (over 40 Americna craft beers on tap), Ruby's Elixir and The Garden have good jazz, The Mandarin Hole is a brand new cocktail bar, clubs range fromPsuh to Scene - mainly hip hop, but some house...

Old 05-25-2011, 09:00 AM

1,480 posts, read 4,482,169 times
If you started at Beach Dr. and 4th Ave. NE and walked south on Beach Dr. you'd pass a lot of good restaurants, but I don't think this is where you'd want to be flying solo. It's a lovely walk though with a park on the other side of the road and a view of the bay and sailboats docked, etc. Parkshore Grill has an excellent brunch. There's not much of anything on The Pier so you might not want to waste your time there.

If you kept going south to Central Ave. you'd be in front of Ceviche. (It might look a little desolate for a block or two.) Ceviche has great food - Spanish tapas and meals. The upper part is a restaurant but downstairs is a groovy little lounge with music, typically. (It's the closest thing to a basement I've seen in FL.) They offer the full menu downstairs, too. This is the cougars' den.

Turn up Central Ave. and go a couple blocks and you'll be in the heart of it. You'll be able to feel it out from there.

You might like to check out the Saturday morning market over by Al Lang baseball field. This weekend is the last one of the season. Welcome to St. Pete!

Old 05-25-2011, 10:21 AM

571 posts, read 671,328 times
Go to Pass-A-Grille for your beach day. It's at the southern tip of St. Pete Beach. It's a cool old-Florida beach town that's alot more quaint than SPB. There's a jetty there where I like to swim. Treasure Island is nice too.

As for downtown nightlife. My faves are The Independent, Mastry's, and The Emerald. Old Northeast Tavern is another great place that's in a neighborhood adjacent to downtown. Only a ten minute walk though, if you're feeling frisky.

Walk north along the bay from downtown up Coffee Pot Bayou. This will also give you a chance to check out Old Northeast, which is a great place to live, and affordable if you are going to rent.

Central Coffee Shoppe has the best breakfast in town. Have fun!

Old 05-26-2011, 07:16 AM

428 posts, read 1,323,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkfan39126 View Post
My faves are The Independent, Mastry's, and The Emerald. !
The Emerald- best old-man dive bar in the Tampa Bay area!

Old 06-03-2011, 06:29 PM

51 posts, read 151,629 times
Totally forgot about writing back here. Unfortunately I didn't see any of your posts before I left on my trip, but thanks anyway!

I got back last Saturday and it was a great experience - short and sweet. Got to really walk around and see the area around central, especially downtown. Checked out many of the bars and met some fun people (who worked at Crowley's) who showed me around and what not. Also hit up the St. Pete beach area for an afternoon. Overall, I liked the laid back atmosphere and people seemed to be generally very friendly. I'm now on the wait list for The Sage, located at 4th Ave South and 4th St South. I will move down there in a heart beat once a one bedroom opens up. I'm definitely looking forward to the lifestyle change!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or