Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 12:35 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,606,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtopinellas View Post
I agree and I am not looking to start an argument. I did some digging and found out the area I am in has a much lower rate of high school graduation and college degrees. I would like to surround myself with educated professionals like myself. I do not think there is anything wrong with that.

So I guess it sounds like South Tampa and maybe Carrollwood or Palm Harbor.
If you really want to stay in Pinellas, look into the areas I listed earlier.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:48 PM

892 posts, read 1,576,922 times
I have lived in North Pinellas (Palm Harbor, Dunedin, Tarpon Springs) since 1987.......

I think the OP was referring to the BEHAVIOR of the people he is wintessing. It has nothing to do with gated nieghborhoods and good school districts and fancy cars.....

If you watch the BEHAVIOR of people when they think no one is watching, you will see their true character......

TRUST ME....if you pay attention (like the OP has) you will see it-

Pinellas is DEFINATELY loaded with white trash and/or rednecks and believe it or not, Palm Harbor and East Lake are full of them as well.

Want proof?....just go out on the water on a weekend and watch all of the upper middle class/wealthy/middle class run around drunk all day in front of their kids on their big, expensive boats. Watch their BEHAVIOR, not thier fancy boat/house/vehicle.....

Their BEHAVIOR is white trash.....and it is all over the Tampa Bay area.

They are trying to ban ALL ALCOHOL on treasure island beach because of being overrun by white trash scumbags.....

Regular people won't be able to have a drink down there because of Tampa Bay's finest trash.....

BEHAVIOR, not expensive houses and boats/cars define white trash or not...

The key to seeing it, is to look where you think it won't be...

Old 05-23-2011, 12:55 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi07 View Post
No, me neither, and I also wouldn't lump "southern accent" and "redneck" together. I know plenty of extremely intelligent, very NON redneck people with southern accents.
Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton come to mind.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:15 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Default map of Florida

Maybe this will help.

http://i30.tinypic.com/10zo1lw.jpg

Old 05-23-2011, 01:31 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,299,617 times
I completely agree...

They all seem to congregate in gated communities though and by the beach...weird!

Very weird!

Now here's my problem with this post:
WHY does it matter if your neighbor is a landscaper or a doctor or a physicist? Is your work the only subject you can talk about? see I don't get that, I never experienced such segregation anywhere else I've been outside the US and here, OMG the doctor doesn't talk to the chef and the chef doesn't talk to the nanny etc. Reminds me of this episode below and I think the OP is really out of an unfortunate bubble wherever they moved here from and doesn't know how to get along with people in general! I think it is really insulting to judge the people you see or live around before meeting them and know their story! Also rude.

I think this episode defines this post BEST:
YouTube - ‪Friends - Joey saves a seat for Ross‬‏

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
I have lived in North Pinellas (Palm Harbor, Dunedin, Tarpon Springs) since 1987.......

I think the OP was referring to the BEHAVIOR of the people he is wintessing. It has nothing to do with gated nieghborhoods and good school districts and fancy cars.....

If you watch the BEHAVIOR of people when they think no one is watching, you will see their true character......

TRUST ME....if you pay attention (like the OP has) you will see it-

Pinellas is DEFINATELY loaded with white trash and/or rednecks and believe it or not, Palm Harbor and East Lake are full of them as well.

Want proof?....just go out on the water on a weekend and watch all of the upper middle class/wealthy/middle class run around drunk all day in front of their kids on their big, expensive boats. Watch their BEHAVIOR, not thier fancy boat/house/vehicle.....

Their BEHAVIOR is white trash.....and it is all over the Tampa Bay area.

They are trying to ban ALL ALCOHOL on treasure island beach because of being overrun by white trash scumbags.....

Regular people won't be able to have a drink down there because of Tampa Bay's finest trash.....

BEHAVIOR, not expensive houses and boats/cars define white trash or not...

The key to seeing it, is to look where you think it won't be...

Old 05-23-2011, 01:33 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
LMAO. Good one nancy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Maybe this will help.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:35 PM

Holy Cow! Today I saw a raised up pick up truck. And I was driving without a shirt! Just had left the beach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtopinellas View Post
Okay, maybe I'm using the wrong labels (redneck vs. white trash). I guess I expected more of a working, professional class but I'm not seeing that. Is there somewhere else I should try that I'd fit in better? I don't really fit in with the raised pick-ups, shirtless drivers, etc.

I know areas are better for some and not others. I'm looking for somewhere that my family and I will fit in better.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:54 PM

769 posts, read 2,050,842 times
It has everything to do with gated neighborhoods, good school districts, and fancy cars. As much as people don't like to admit it, affluent people that live in these types of neighborhoods behave differently than those that live in a single wide in the middle of nowhere. I know it's a stereotype, but for the most part it is true.

I'm not criticizing one way of life over the other. People are free to act how they want and live where they want, but what the OP is looking for will mainly be found in affluent areas. I have extended relatives that some would consider "white trash" because of where they live and yet they are the most humble, nicest people I know. So it's not meant to offend anyone, just stating that affluent areas will have higher educated people.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:04 PM

10 posts, read 36,316 times
I am new to the area as well- but I work in South Tampa and it might be what you are looking for.

Also what about Lakewood Ranch? My boyfriend's Ex lives there and will only live there because she thinks it is THE place to be.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:09 PM

So, anyone who is not "affluent" doesn't live in gated communities, does not drive fancy cars and live in single wides in the middle of no where and are "white trash" That's ridiculous. The "affluent" are a small segment of the population and I am glad that they segregate themselves from the rest of us peons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
It has everything to do with gated neighborhoods, good school districts, and fancy cars. As much as people don't like to admit it, affluent people that live in these types of neighborhoods behave differently than those that live in a single wide in the middle of nowhere. I know it's a stereotype, but for the most part it is true.

I'm not criticizing one way of life over the other. People are free to act how they want and live where they want, but what the OP is looking for will mainly be found in affluent areas. I have extended relatives that some would consider "white trash" because of where they live and yet they are the most humble, nicest people I know. So it's not meant to offend anyone, just stating that affluent areas will have higher educated people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay