Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2010, 02:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,411 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be moving to the Tampa area from Atlanta with our 2 kids - 11 and 4. It seems like everybody has a different opinion of the "best area" for us to move to. My husband will be travelling for work so it doesn't matter which area of town for a commute. We are looking for a development with houses ranging from 3-400K+ and GREAT schools. Schools are by far the most important, doesn't matter how much that affects the property taxes. We would like to be in an area with lots of young families and lots of extra curriculars for the kids (sports especially) A realtor has told us about Waterchase? We do like large planned communities, that's what we live in now. Traffic is not an issue, if any of you have been to Atlanta you know it's horrendous. I'd rather live in a good area with lots of traffic then have to drive through the traffic to get to the dance studio, gym, restaurant, shopping, etc. Any advice would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 09:08 AM

70 posts, read 177,547 times
Waterchase is nice as is Westchase. You may also want to consider the Palm Harbor area (both on the east and west side of Lake Tarpon). Very nice areas with a lot going on, nice houses in the price range you set, and a lot of what you want (especially in the west side). Also, it has very good schools and probably the best-rated high school in the area (Palm Harbor University High School).

Old 12-14-2010, 11:46 AM

239 posts, read 671,115 times
Based on what you are looking for, I would suggest Westchase as well. We are relocating and I have made 4 trips to the region in the past few months. We have an agent there and I have looked at houses in many areas.

We are not looking for a gated community but we did see some houses in Westchase just to compare. Westchase has a nice little commercial area as part of the development with pathways connecting all the communities.

Palm Harbor is a mixture of older gated/planned and non gated communities but given the other things you are looking for it sounds to me like Westchase will fit the bill. If you are looking for a great agent (who previews everything first), we are thrilled with ours! They have even gone and taken pictures for me.

Good luck!

Old 12-14-2010, 01:40 PM

436 posts, read 1,120,546 times
I didn't make it to Westchase but I did go to Palm Harbor. I think that'd be a good fit for you. Compared to Westchase, Palm Harbor is closer to the beaches (it's on the Gulf), the schools are top quality, and it is extremely safe. I was not a fan of the gated, planned communities but it sounds like that's what you're looking for, which is almost all of Palm Harbor (save for some streets near the downtown center). Also, the house prices in Palm Harbor are much more affordable (and they're still really nice homes).

Here's a picture I took that I really like (it's of the dozens of bicycles parked at the middle school, showing how many kids bike to school):

I have many more pictures of Palm Harbor and can upload them to the sticky image thread in the forum if you'd like.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:47 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
I third Palm Harbor. It is a nice advantage actually living near the beach when one is living in Florida.
The schools are the best in the area. It's an established area with mature trees and a neighborhood feel where you'll maybe even get to know your neighbors.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:47 PM

7 posts, read 18,478 times
Did you end up Palm Harbor? I am in your same situation. Moving from the midwest. My kids are 10 and 3. What middle school are you using. We want to live in Lansbrook, but hesitate sending our daughter to Tarpon Springs Middle School. Please help. Where do people send their kids who live in Lansbrook?? Please help!

Old 05-24-2011, 05:05 PM

279 posts, read 508,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texosu View Post
Did you end up Palm Harbor? I am in your same situation. Moving from the midwest. My kids are 10 and 3. What middle school are you using. We want to live in Lansbrook, but hesitate sending our daughter to Tarpon Springs Middle School. Please help. Where do people send their kids who live in Lansbrook?? Please help!

We are in the same situation but coming from MA and are considering Lansbrook also. We are visiting June 13-15 and move down last week of June. Have you visited Lansbrook?

Steve

Take a look at this site

http://www.pcsb.org/Choice/maps_choice.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay