U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2007, 09:50 AM

2 posts, read 3,745 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are preparing to move to the Tampa/St. Pete/Sarasota area to be near family living in Venice. We're retired, so don't have concerns about commuting, kid's needs or the job market. We're city-ish people and would like to be walking or biking distance to shops, restaurants and core city activities. (Besides, my wife doesn't drive.) We're looking to rent a nice apartment, probably for a year or two, until we see how the now-volatile real estate market shakes out. I've tried looking at apartments on rentals.com and some other sites but I'm really cluless as to where the apartments they list are in relationship to city life. Any guidance will be appreciated. Also, anybody know what the deal is with renters insurance? I've heard the nightmare stories about HOI. Our Venice relatives are true suburbanites, so don't have much useful information such as we're looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2007, 04:04 PM

1,824 posts, read 7,608,314 times
First, Renters Insurance is still VERY inexpensive.
Now as far as Renting in Tampa close to walking and transport to citylife, get with a realtor and rent a private condo/townhome in Channelside(GrandCentral, Place, Ventana), or downtown(Skypoint), or Harbour Island(Post has several properties, but there are many private condos for rent). Post also has very nice places in Hyde Park Village above the shoppes. But at this time, you could probably get a great rental on a Condo, since it has been difficult for the owners to sell at this time.

Old 08-05-2007, 05:45 AM

2 posts, read 3,745 times
Thanks for your guidance. Post is a local newspaper?

Old 08-05-2007, 06:31 AM

8,488 posts, read 17,862,553 times
Renters Insurance is not that expensive. For a 5 room apartment it my run you $20 - $25 a month. This would give you around $40,000 in coverage.

Realtor.com will have rentals on there but they are homes and condos for rent not apartment complexes for the most part.

Try the Tampa Tribune or St.Pete Times websites.

Old 08-05-2007, 09:35 AM

3,965 posts, read 8,576,822 times
Why not rent in Sarasota? It's more pedestrian/biker friendly and will is closer to Venice. Prettier, too.

For apartments, check out rent.com, forrent.com, and apartmentguide.com. You can also find good deals just renting from individuals, check out the Tampa craigslist.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:57 PM

1,824 posts, read 7,608,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
Thanks for your guidance. Post is a local newspaper?
Post is the company that owns many rental communities thorughout the Nation. Post Hyde Park, Post Harbour Island, many others....

Old 08-06-2007, 09:05 AM

112 posts, read 448,413 times
Downtown St.Pete would be the best place IMO. Lots of shops, restaurants, parks, beachs, can't beat it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or