U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2011, 10:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,506 times

Advertisements

Just moved here from Los Angeles...lived in Chicago and Miami before that. I would very much welcome any advice on the following 6 topics from my fellow citizens of the Tampa/St. Pete area:

1. Best Beaches to go to? Note that I'm engaged, age 30, no kids. Beaches that attract younger crowds (20s, 30s) and have any social scene (bars/restaurants on the beach) would be ideal. A list of beach bars or rooftop bars would be very appreciated too.

2. Electronic Music scene. You can't control what food tastes good to you, and similarly you can't control what music sounds good to you. It's a natural function of your senses. And for me, mine respond to Electronic music (Armin van Buuren, Tiesto, Deadmau5, etc.). Are there any nightlife spots that cater to this taste? For the record, I have visited the rooftop at Push Ultra Lounge in downtown St. Pete, and that was decent, but would like to know of more options.

3. Asian Food: Any recommendations for Thai, Indian, and Sushi restaurants would be greatly appreciated....mom-and-pop spots to high-end and everyting in between.

4. Neighborhoods: I'm renting in downtown St. Pete as a home base until I learn in which neighborhood I want to purchase a place for the medium/long term. Can anyone let me know which neighborhoods would be ideal for a relatively young couple to settle down...safe, very close to a bunch of restaurants/social scene (walkable would be great but I do realize I'm not in Chicago or South Beach anymore). We'd like to spend about $300K-$350K for a 2+ bedroom condo or 3+ bedroom home...waiting until late 2012 or 2013 because I think this market has another 10%+ decline in prices coming given the massive supply/demand inbalance. S. Tampa I hear may be a fit...we do like downtown St. Pete, but I could see that getting old given the size.

5. Brunch Spots: my fiance lives for brunch. Any recommendations here would help me out big time...by making her happy.

6. Miscellaneous: best hotel/rooftop bars, best shopping center/mall, best weekend road trips, best concert venues, best way to meet new people/couples, best place to watch college football on Saturdays (note that Mr. NewGuy has Big Ten DNA).

6b. Bachelor Party: I'm having mine here in a few months...ideas and venue advice might be interesting

THANK YOU for your time!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 12:36 AM

4 posts, read 9,095 times
I've lived in St. Pete since 2008. I can answer a few of your inquiries, but I'm not really hip into night life, even though I am 23. Beach wise, I really enjoy St. Pete Beach. There are many great restaurant/bars that are on or very close to the beaches there. It's a more tourist-y area in my opinion, so it's usually busy with a great crowd (not in a bad way, of course).

As far as Sushi/Asian cuisine goes, I really enjoy Vu19 (Vue 19) in Downtown St. Pete. Very trendy, great prices and atmosphere. Thai food, I enjoy Thai Wok up by me (North St. Pete).

Misc: St. Pete - A great concert venue is Jannus Landing in Downtown St. Pete. They host everything from Good Charlotte to 50 Cent. It's a small, intimate venue.

Tampa - St. Pete Times Forum in Tampa is great for sporting and larger venue events. The 1-800-Ask-Gary Amphitheater is atrocious, sound wise, but it's easy to look past considering some of the acts they host.

Bar/Food - Great bar in Downtown St. Pete is The Mandarin Hide. Very trendy, specializes in "mixology". Great bar/lounge in Tampa (Hyde Park) is the "exclusive" Cirro's Speak Easy & Supper Club. A must-see. Please Google it, it's classic! In both St. Pete & Tampa there is a tasty and popular tappas restaurant, Ceviche.

Sight-Seeing: Tampa - Busch Gardens is fun, a little pricey, but if you have family in town its a good way to get together and occupy everyone.
Tampa - The Tampa Theatre. My favorite place in the Bay. Hosts classic film and independent/foreign films in the vintage 1920's theater.
Tampa - International Plaza (mall). Luxury shopping and an Apple Store (a necessity in my eyes), lots of great restaurants and the occasional celebrity sighting.
St. Pete - Lots of art destinations. Local artists shops are everywhere, but the stars are the Chihuly Collection, The Museum of Fine Arts and The Dali Museum. All must-sees. A vintage classic: Sunken Gardens, a botanical garden just before downtown.

I'm living in North St. Pete (by the Howard Frankland bridge to Tampa, I think it is considered Pinellas Park or Gateway neighborhoods)... Just purchased a nice 2br 1.5 bath townhouse for under $40k. You'll get a LUXURY condo at the price you're going for! Hope my suggestions are helpful to you! If I think of any more I'll let you know.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:05 AM

4 posts, read 9,095 times
Thought of a few other places in Tampa. Ella's American Folk Art Cafe in Seminole Heights is great. Sunday's they do "Soul Food Sunday's", very fattening, but delicious (fried chicken & waffles!) Also in Seminole Heights is my favorite restaurant, The Refinery. The Refinery changes its menu every Thursday, I believe the majority of their ingredients are locally grown, which is always great. They also have Sunday Brunch, but I have yet to try it out. Down the street (these are all close to each other) is Taco Bus... which is exactly what it sounds like. Great, authentic Mexican food, open very late- and they just opened a Downtown St. Pete location not too long ago.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:50 PM

392 posts, read 1,093,014 times
Hyde Park for the EDM scene, or Ybor. Amphitheater, and Green Iguana Anderson Road.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:44 PM
BBI

490 posts, read 857,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NewGuy View Post
4. Neighborhoods: I'm renting in downtown St. Pete as a home base until I learn in which neighborhood I want to purchase a place for the medium/long term. Can anyone let me know which neighborhoods would be ideal for a relatively young couple to settle down...safe, very close to a bunch of restaurants/social scene (walkable would be great but I do realize I'm not in Chicago or South Beach anymore). We'd like to spend about $300K-$350K for a 2+ bedroom condo or 3+ bedroom home...waiting until late 2012 or 2013 because I think this market has another 10%+ decline in prices coming given the massive supply/demand inbalance. S. Tampa I hear may be a fit...we do like downtown St. Pete, but I could see that getting old given the size.

5. Brunch Spots: my fiance lives for brunch. Any recommendations here would help me out big time...by making her happy.
Re neighborhoods, I think the best three choices are where you are now, just north of where you are in the Old Northeast neighborhood, and near SoHo in South Tampa. We looked extensively and, for us (late 20s, married, no kids), nothing else was even close. One heads up on timing: for move-in-ready, 3+ bedroom, single family homes, in your price range and in the neighborhoods above, there is not a massive supply/demand imbalance. In fact, there is very little supply and plenty of demand. Certainly there are reasons to be bearish about home prices in any neighborhood, but the general oversupply issue in the region is not a good reason to wait until 2013 for these particular neighborhoods. I'd suggest spending some time on zillow and getting a few showings under your belt so you can better evaluate the particular neighborhoods you like.

The best brunch I've found downtown is at Cafe Alma; good food and a fairly extensive build your own bloody mary bar.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:47 PM

13,768 posts, read 35,360,019 times
Check out 'The Hurricane' on Pass-a-grille for a deck top restaurant. Great grouper sandwich too. Pass-a-grille Beach is also nice.

I also like 'Sloppy Joe's' on Treasure Island for a little island feel.

Take a trip to Caladesi for a nice quiet beach day.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:37 PM

2 posts, read 3,381 times
Tampa/Orlando is great for EDM.

This coming summer you can expect Electric Daisy Carnival to come through again. It was boss last year. Plus there is Ultra in Miami.

Ampitheatre in Ybor is a small but fun venue where i've seen Afrojack and a couple of others. Identity Festival was held at the 1800 Ask Gary Ampitheatre this year as well where i saw Chuckie, Datsik, Kaskade, Pretty Lights and others.

90 min drive to orlando and you have the Beacham on Orange, the UCF Arena, Hard Rock Live and the House of Blues. In fact the best show i've ever seen, Armin van Buuren, was @ House of Blues. You're definitely in a good spot for EDM. If you'd like more specifics feel free to email me [email]ryan.finan@gmail.com[/email]

Old 06-12-2012, 02:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,757 times
Afrojack will be coming to St. Pete, FL on Friday, June 15th at the Tropicana Field...Free with a ticket to the Rays/Marlins game!

[url=http://tampabay.rays.mlb.com/tb/ticketing/summer_concerts.jsp]Rays Summer Concert Series | raysbaseball.com: Tickets[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay