Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2011, 02:59 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,875,345 times

Advertisements

I know Florida isn't doing too well right now. I am a recent accounting graduate and was hoping the accounting market was spared the recession. Can anyone describe job prospects in the area for accountants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 03:46 PM

769 posts, read 2,051,004 times
It depends. Do you want to go into public or private accounting? Are you a CPA or have you at least passed the entire exam? Do you have any experience? Did you go to an accredited school or a diploma mill?

Old 05-29-2011, 04:06 PM

I went to a state university. Probable graduated in the top 20 percent of my class. I dont have my cpa yet, but i plan to get it. I have had internships with internal audit and tax accounting

Old 05-29-2011, 04:12 PM

The market for entry level accountants is tough. There are still people that graduated 2-3 years ago that haven't found accounting jobs. You may have to take a lower level position at first, such as bookkeeper, A/P clerk, A/R clerk, payroll, etc. Also, many CPA firms hire in the last quarter of the year for next tax season. You might have a chance if you wait until then but it also might be a temporary position.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:14 PM

Is the market tough for entry level accountants everywhere, or just in tampa? I thought accountants were in demand.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Is the market tough for entry level accountants everywhere, or just in tampa? I thought accountants were in demand.
Everywhere. Employers can find experienced accountants to do the jobs that entry level accountants used to do, for the same amount of money. And keep in mind that a lot of college grads, especially accounting majors, take on internships and part time tax season jobs to get experience. Many of them also sit for the CPA exam right after they graduate.

Overall I think the demand for accountants is okay, but not so good for beginners like you. Especially in private accounting, where corporations are finding as many ways as possible to cut costs. Some entry level accounting jobs are being given to bookkeepers that cost less than a degreed accountant.

Outback used to be known for hiring entry level accountants at their corporate office in Tampa. Check to see if they have anything. But keep in mind that there's nothing wrong with taking a lower level position to get some experience. I can assure you that college taught you less than half of what you need to know to succeed in this field.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:28 PM

Thank you for all the advice. During my tax internship i was actually a temp tax preparer. Maybe that will help a little. I guess it is hard for everyone right now. It is just difficult to get experiance when no one will hire a college grad. Hopefully things will pick up soon.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:24 PM

Well just search as much as you can. There are some entry level jobs out there. It's just a matter of making yourself stand out to land an interview. You can also try to work with some of the accounting/finance recruiters in the area like Robert Half, Taylor White, K Force, Acsys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay