U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-30-2011, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Ohio for now
45 posts, read 58,871 times
Reputation: 34

Advertisements

My husband & I are relocating to Florida within the next year from Akron,Oh. We have been there 3 times in the last year trying to determine where we would like to live. We have narrowed it down to the West Coast somewhere between Clearwater & Venice. I lived on the East Coast near Ft. Lauderdale for 4 years and loved it.... so happy to be moving back to florida. I'm a nurse so I will have a job before I get there and my husband can retire young, I'm 46, he's 56. He will be looking for something part-time. We are very athletic, my husband runs marathon's & ultra's. He would probably like to coach or train athlete's. Or work around sporting activities.

I've been looking on realtor.com and found this house in Clearwater and was wondering if it is a safe neighborhood. [LEFT][/LEFT] [LEFT][/LEFT]205 S Highland S Ave. Any advise on what area's to avoid would be much appreciated, under 100K.

I have also been looking in the Sarasota/Venice area, trying to decide which we would prefer.

Pro's & Con's of both area's appreciated.


Can't wait to get back to Florida!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-30-2011, 01:32 PM
 
6,441 posts, read 2,194,461 times
Reputation: 13436
There are more pics here: 205 South Highland Avenue, Clearwater FL | MLS# U7513084 - Trulia but it shows $10K more than realtor.com.

I'm new to the area so I'm no help. But you may find this thread interesting: How bad are Scientologists in Clearwater?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2011, 02:33 PM
 
Location: Tampa Bay Area
495 posts, read 807,917 times
Reputation: 207
I grew up on Orange St. Couple miles south of there. I went to school right around there for a while at JFK I think it was. I rode around there a couple months ago killing some time. I kinda liked the area. Highland is probably one of the busier streets. You could look up crime statistics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2011, 06:57 PM
 
1 posts, read 4,470 times
Reputation: 10
No you will want to stay away from this area. I have in-laws that live over on grove street and they are quite literally surrounded by poverty and crackheads. There are cute houses for cheap, but they are NOT worth being that close to. If you look on the map at the rectangle that court, highland, drew and MLK make up you want to stay away from.

Check out areas like Bellair, palm harbor, dunedin. If you are looking for good deals check largo. It's hit or miss you just have to find a good neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2011, 07:21 PM
 
Location: Tampa
2,602 posts, read 4,589,144 times
Reputation: 1444
Quote:
Originally Posted by smccalli View Post
No you will want to stay away from this area. I have in-laws that live over on grove street and they are quite literally surrounded by poverty and crackheads. There are cute houses for cheap, but they are NOT worth being that close to. If you look on the map at the rectangle that court, highland, drew and MLK make up you want to stay away from.

Check out areas like Bellair, palm harbor, dunedin. If you are looking for good deals check largo. It's hit or miss you just have to find a good neighborhood.
Yeah, that little stretch of Gulf to Bay between Cleveland and Court Streets always has a bunch of seedy people hanging around. There's a liquor store, a day labor place, and a few other dumpy stores in the area. I wouldn't consider it a high-crime or dangerous area, just one of those areas where you wouldn't leave the garage door open for too long or where you might have someone going through your recycling bin. It could be worse, but there are far nicer areas in Clearwater and the surrounding towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2011, 05:57 PM
 
Location: Ohio for now
45 posts, read 58,871 times
Reputation: 34
Thank you so much for the info. We are doing alot of research and your in-put is helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2011, 08:41 AM
 
2 posts, read 6,136 times
Reputation: 10
Funny, most of Clearwater is really nice, you found the one sketchy area. Where will you be working, location wise? That would make a difference because of traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2011, 12:12 PM
 
Location: Tampa Bay
618 posts, read 743,590 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
Yeah, that little stretch of Gulf to Bay between Cleveland and Court Streets always has a bunch of seedy people hanging around. There's a liquor store, a day labor place, and a few other dumpy stores in the area. I wouldn't consider it a high-crime or dangerous area, just one of those areas where you wouldn't leave the garage door open for too long or where you might have someone going through your recycling bin. It could be worse, but there are far nicer areas in Clearwater and the surrounding towns.
Dont forget the homeless shelter and soup kitchen thats located right around there off Park St...which explains alot in regards to the day labor place, liquor store, seedy motels, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2011, 03:16 PM
 
Location: Tampa
2,602 posts, read 4,589,144 times
Reputation: 1444
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdubose View Post
Dont forget the homeless shelter and soup kitchen thats located right around there off Park St...which explains alot in regards to the day labor place, liquor store, seedy motels, etc.
Interesting. I did not know that was there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2011, 06:41 PM
 
Location: Ohio for now
45 posts, read 58,871 times
Reputation: 34
I don't have a job there yet and will not come without one, I'm a nurse and from what I'm reading on here it I shouldn't have a problem getting one. Just trying to decide whether to look closer to Clearwater or Sarasota/Venice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top