Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 05:15 PM

5,974 posts, read 7,365,693 times

Advertisements

We recently made an offer on a home, doing so directly to the selling agent, as we do not currently have an agent (we do have a real estate attorney involved with us on a day-to-day basis.)

The seller's agent wanted us to sign an "exclusive buyer brokerage agreement" to represent us in the transaction.

As one might expect, our attorney advised us not to sign this and said it was unnecessary - and it could even force us to bear some of the commission costs should the seller not be able to pay them, according to our attorney. Being informed consumers and veterans of a number of real estate transactions, we had no intention of signing it anyway.

I am wondering if this would not be the same as dual agency, which I understood to be illegal in the State of Florida.

Anyone in the business care to comment?

RM

Old 05-30-2011, 05:38 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,316,881 times
Absolutely, you do not have to do this, you will save 3% in the process. By law they can charge (up to) 3% commission on each end of the deal, seller agent and buyer agent. If there is no buyer agent, he gets 3%, he wants 6%. He cannot force you to sign with him. I suppose he could not take your contract, but he would be an idiot to do that in this economy.

Oh, and dual agency is not illegal in FLA

Old 05-30-2011, 05:45 PM

Dual agency opens up some serious ethical dilemmas, I would think. I thought I had read a while back that it was illegal in Florida, however, the law may have expired.

I was just surprised by this, as I can't see how the agent can have a fiduciary duty to the seller and also represent the buyer in good faith.

To me it seemed like an attempt just to get more commission out of the deal....

RM

Old 05-30-2011, 06:06 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,316,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Dual agency opens up some serious ethical dilemmas, I would think. I thought I had read a while back that it was illegal in Florida, however, the law may have expired.

I was just surprised by this, as I can't see how the agent can have a fiduciary duty to the seller and also represent the buyer in good faith.

To me it seemed like an attempt just to get more commission out of the deal....

RM
Not only is it legal, the majority of transactions occur this way. I agree with your last 2 statements.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:58 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,596,703 times
Dual agency is ILLEGAL in Florida and has been for many years. The term Transaction Broker is an accepted form in which a broker can represent both parties but with limited fiduciary responsibilities. Rumors happen like this when people move here from other states and expect things to work the same way it did in whatever state they moved from. And though attorney representation is helpful, they are not required for Florida closings. You can read the legal in Chapter 475 of the Florida Statutes.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:05 PM

I am familiar with the term "transaction broker", but I was wondering if what the seller's agent was attempting to pull would be considered dual agency.

The form they used was an "Exclusive Buyer Brokerage Agreement" and listed as an EBBA-5, Rev. 11/09. They checked the box on page two for "single Agent of Buyer" rather than "Transaction Broker".

As it was written, we would have been on the hook for 3% to the broker if we purchased the property.

We are aware that legal representation is not a requirement for closing in Florida, but whether it would be Florida or any other state, we would never consider entering into a real estate transaction, or any transaction of such magnitude, without legal representation. To do so would be foolish, in our opinion.

RM

Old 05-30-2011, 07:10 PM

A broker cannot have an exclusive with both buyer and seller in the same transaction. It's hard for me to say because I'm sure there's something more to the story. Sorry this happened to you...it was not right for sure.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:12 PM

Would it matter if it was a short sale?

I don't see what difference it makes, quite honestly.

RM

Old 05-30-2011, 07:21 PM

Agency is already written into the law so no, it doesn't matter. In a short sale, the seller has little to no money to put into the sale so broker fees, lien releases, taxes, etc. each reduce the amount the bank receives. A buyer I represented recently received a counter offer asking for $2500 toward the seller's attorney fees. It sounds to me like they're fishing for more money to put into the sale at your expense. Keep asking them questions until you get a clear answer.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:24 PM

Well, it is a short sale, and yes, I suspect this was an effort to cover the possibility that they may not receive a full (3%) commission from the seller after all is said and done. On the advice of our attorney we refused to sign the agreement. We are aware of the potential for all of the costs not being covered depending on what the bank wants out of the deal.

A questionable situation in my opinion...just another good reason to have a competent real estate attorney involved in the process.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay