Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2011, 11:38 AM

1 posts, read 3,191 times

Advertisements

My daughter is moving from Virginia to Florida to attend grad school at USF. We have researched so much on the internet that now everything is just a blur. She is leaving a small, rural area so she will have to meet many new challenges. Put that with the grad student budget, and you can feel overwhelmed easily and quickly. We have learned that she should not look west or south of USF. She has access to a car, but it is old and we would like to limit the number of "sketchy" areas that she would have to go through on her drive from home to USF..especially since she will be commuting often at night. We are looking for a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment/condo/townhome. She would like to be in a more family oriented atmosphere, but may to deal with the undergraduate element until she gets more accustomed to the area. Currently, we are researching Camden Live Oaks, Grand Reserve, Bristol Place, St. Croix, Cambridge Woods, and someone mentioned the Sunridge Condos. Her roommate suggests the Province, 4050 Lofts, Lake View Oaks, and the Lodge at Lakecrest. We are open to any suggestions. We really need to keep her monthly costs under $600, but may have to cut costs elsewhere in her small budget. Any suggestions/comments will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 01:47 PM

769 posts, read 2,044,849 times
There's a recent thread on Carlton Arms North you should read. It's close to USF and very nice. The complex is safe and has security at the entrance, and it's pretty affordable. A 2 bedroom might be around $700-800 nowadays, haven't checked in a while. There's also New Tampa. It's further north than USF but it's a very nice, newer area that is extremely safe. It's more expensive though. You're looking at around $1,000+ a month for a 2 bedroom.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:55 PM

48 posts, read 120,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
There's a recent thread on Carlton Arms North you should read. It's close to USF and very nice. The complex is safe and has security at the entrance, and it's pretty affordable. A 2 bedroom might be around $700-800 nowadays, haven't checked in a while. There's also New Tampa. It's further north than USF but it's a very nice, newer area that is extremely safe. It's more expensive though. You're looking at around $1,000+ a month for a 2 bedroom.

Agreed...she should definitely consider Carlton Arms North. Very safe and secure apartments, no sketchy areas between it and USF, fair rents. My girlfriend lived there with a female roommate when they were in college and they never had any issues.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:54 PM

2 posts, read 3,724 times
Quote:
Agreed...she should definitely consider Carlton Arms North. Very safe and secure apartments, no sketchy areas between it and USF, fair rents. My girlfriend lived there with a female roommate when they were in college and they never had any issues.
I am moving to Tampa to attend USF this august, I would really like to live at Carlton Arms North, but I am a student and don't have any income other than student loans and they won't let me have a co-signer.

If you don't mind me asking, did your girlfriend have substantial income? If not, how did she get around not being able to have a co-signer?

Thanks!

Old 04-23-2012, 06:18 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,287,870 times
Carlton Arms North isnt exactly close to USF. It's almost to Dale Mabry...

To clarify, nothing CLOSE to USF is good/safe

Old 05-01-2012, 07:01 PM

769 posts, read 2,044,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Carlton Arms North isnt exactly close to USF. It's almost to Dale Mabry...

To clarify, nothing CLOSE to USF is good/safe
Check your facts. Carlton Arms North is on Fletcher Avenue between 56th street and I-75, and it is actually safe.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:10 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,287,870 times
I thought it was the Carlton Arms on Fletcher out by Dale Mabry, near Orange Grove.

At any rates, most of the Carlton Arms places arent that great, and Fletcher out that way is on the edge of sketchyville.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:38 PM

5,490 posts, read 6,092,341 times
My boyfriend lived at Carlton Arms North before he moved in with me and I spent a lot of time there. It is definitely a good choice if she can afford it. He had a one bedroom and I think he was paying $675. It always felt very safe and it is very close to USF. It is east of USF so you don't have to travel through the sketchy area to travel between USF and Carlton Arms.

If she has a $600 monthly budget all-in, I think she's going to have to consider a roommate to get something decent, whether it be Carlton Arms or something else.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:33 PM

64 posts, read 109,674 times
There's also New Tampa. It's further north than USF but it's a very nice, newer area that is extremely safe. It's more expensive though. You're looking at around $1,000+ a month for a 2 bedroom.[/quote]

I agree. I would recommend heading into New Tampa if at all possible. The area surrounding USF is not the best. My husband works at a hospital in that area and he often walks his female coworkers to their cars at night. (There is a large distance to the parking lot.)

Old 05-05-2012, 12:27 AM

5 posts, read 6,711 times
Carlton Arms North is not ideal. Yes it's cheap...so consider that when moving in. You get what you pay for. I worked in the plaza caddy corner to USF-where the Target, Hooters etc is- yeah, not a great place to be after dark if you need to run out for a bite to eat or something. I also grew up not far from there and even back in the 80's and 90's it wasn't safe. It's gotten progressively worse over the years. My next door neighbor works for the sheriffs dept and she fills me in on all the gory details of "Suitcase City".

The VA is right there and a lot of the vagrants are veterans, so they are often milling around the entire area. Most are harmless, they are mostly a tad off mentally and/or are boozing it up. But still can be scary when you're in a new place.

There will always be crime anywhere but the USF area specifically is not safe. Ever.

The other location the PP mentioned is Carlton Arms-Van Dyke. That one IS way out there and is somewhat nicer.

There are several options in New Tampa that are in the $600 to $800 range for 1 and 2 bedrooms.

Morgan Creek- $725-ish for a 2 bedroom
Heritage Pines- Under $600 for a 1 bedroom
Addison Park-Closer to $800

All are off of BBD or Cross Creek.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay