Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 05:06 PM

35 posts, read 231,122 times

Advertisements

We have lived in South Tampa for 10 years and have really enjoyed the great restaurants, promixity to shopping and amenities, and since we both work close, we've had no commute. However, we now have a baby and our priorities have changed so we are looking to move to the Burbs.

I am not sure yet if we are making the right decision, but we are looking at the Odessa (Farmington to Wyndham Lakes) and Lutz area. I'd love feedback from anyone who lives in those areas about the neighborhood and schools. And I am especially interested if you feel as if there is a true community feel in that area.

South Tampa is awesome but I am thinking that it is not the best place to raise small children???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 05:18 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,277,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunker72 View Post
South Tampa is awesome but I am thinking that it is not the best place to raise small children???
It's a great place to raise kids. Most--if not every--school is decent to great and there's plenty of activities for kids.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:49 PM

817 posts, read 2,244,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunker72 View Post
We have lived in South Tampa for 10 years and have really enjoyed the great restaurants, promixity to shopping and amenities, and since we both work close, we've had no commute. However, we now have a baby and our priorities have changed so we are looking to move to the Burbs.

I am not sure yet if we are making the right decision, but we are looking at the Odessa (Farmington to Wyndham Lakes) and Lutz area. I'd love feedback from anyone who lives in those areas about the neighborhood and schools. And I am especially interested if you feel as if there is a true community feel in that area.

You are where I was about 12 years ago. I used to live in south Tampa as a young single/young married couple. I had my first child while living there. I think it's ok to raise them to toddlerhood in south Tampa, but at a certain age...I just felt weird with school age kids there. I couldn't see kids riding bikes around down there...the ratio of families to singles was pretty low...I'm glad I moved out of the area, although I miss it incredibly.

That said, Plant High is practically a private school in terms of the kids who attend.

Tough choice, but it's working for us. I don't know anyone that I was friends with before I had kids that hasn't moved to the burbs afterwards.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:35 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,277,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post
I think it's ok to raise them to toddlerhood in south Tampa, but at a certain age...I just felt weird with school age kids there.
I grew up in South Tampa not all that long ago (just southeast of the intersection of Henderson and Manhattan) and we all played in our front yards and rode bikes all over the place, especially to Eckerds and Wendy's. I'd even go as far as Picnic Island and Downtown Tampa when I was feeling adventurous. There was (and is) virtually no serious crime and while there was (and is) lots of traffic, the neighborhood streets are pretty tame and we'd always cross the busier ones at traffic lights.

When I got older, I'd take the bus to either Britton Plaza or Westshore Mall to meet up with friends. I loved the independence and I'm sure my parents loved not having to drive me over there at 6PM on the weekends.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:23 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,885,203 times
Stay in South Tampa = Send kids to good public schools

Move out of South Tampa = Send kids to private schools

Sorry, that is just how I see it, there is no school district in Tampa, besides South, that I would send my daughter to, btw, she goes to private. I don't know why you would move, since so many move there just to send their kids to decent schools.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:36 AM

17,486 posts, read 38,941,335 times
I think Palma Ceia is a perfect family neighborhood. Stay in South Tampa, that is my recommendation.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:38 AM

877 posts, read 1,905,437 times
We bought a house in New Tampa this year after my son was born, we had been renting in South Tampa. It was an incredibly hard decision to make. My husband works downtown and I work near International Mall so the commute in S. Tampa was really easy. We also loved all the restaurants and bars and being able to walk to the bay.

Basically, housing is a heck of a lot cheaper up here and your money goes a long way. We bought in a neighborhood where I'd say the majority of the residents have young children. Our HOA has tons of kid friendly activities. There are tons and tons of restaurants here that you can bring kids to. While we are kind of stuck with Red Robin/Chili's that's fine with where we are in our lives right now.

Schools were the big concern. They are not bad here, but not terrific (this is from the outside looking in, our son is only eight months old). We are zoned for Turner Elementary which seems good. The thing is if we end up having to send our son to Berkeley Prep etc. for middle/high school the cost of living where we are now is so cheap it won't be an issue, basically just an extension of the cost of daycare.

Our house is newer and energy efficient (seriously we doubled in size and halved our electric bill). We don't have to worry about our neighbors parking their cars in their yard.

It's not an easy call to make. If we were really wealthy and easily could afford a 3,000 square foot house in Hyde Park we'd be there now. But for where we are in our lives we are happy moving up here.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:59 PM

353 posts, read 800,569 times
I cannot imagine commuting from New Tampa to Int. Plaza/Downtown Tampa every business day for the next 18 years. Then again, I also cannot imagine living in a 3,000 square foot house. I will never understand why people have to live in such huge houses. But I digress.

Everyone I know wants to live in South Tampa, regrets moving out of South Tampa, or both. Think long and hard about your decision. And remember that many of the burbs have higher crime rates than South Tampa. In fact, the crime in my South Tampa zip code is non-existent. I know this because I watch the crime reports like a hawk and I am extremely friendly with my local cops.

If you do extensive research and stick to the upscale parts of South Tampa, you will not find a better quality of life for you and/or your kids in this area.

By the way, if you do go private, the cost for a Berkeley Prep (or similar) education averages about 20k a year (when you add in all the fees and misc expenses they hit you up for), according to my sister who has a kid enrolled there.

Add to that the commuting costs (gas, car repairs, tolls, time spent in gridlock, traffic tickets from racing to get to work on time, or racing to pick up your kid on time, etc.) of living in the burbs and you have some serious things to consider.

Last edited by saltzman143; 06-10-2011 at 04:08 PM..

Old 06-10-2011, 05:27 PM

877 posts, read 1,905,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltzman143 View Post
I cannot imagine commuting from New Tampa to Int. Plaza/Downtown Tampa every business day for the next 18 years. Then again, I also cannot imagine living in a 3,000 square foot house. I will never understand why people have to live in such huge houses. But I digress.

Everyone I know wants to live in South Tampa, regrets moving out of South Tampa, or both. Think long and hard about your decision. And remember that many of the burbs have higher crime rates than South Tampa. In fact, the crime in my South Tampa zip code is non-existent. I know this because I watch the crime reports like a hawk and I am extremely friendly with my local cops.

If you do extensive research and stick to the upscale parts of South Tampa, you will not find a better quality of life for you and/or your kids in this area.

By the way, if you do go private, the cost for a Berkeley Prep (or similar) education averages about 20k a year (when you add in all the fees and misc expenses they hit you up for), according to my sister who has a kid enrolled there.

Add to that the commuting costs (gas, car repairs, tolls, time spent in gridlock, traffic tickets from racing to get to work on time, or racing to pick up your kid on time, etc.) of living in the burbs and you have some serious things to consider.
Well, it's 45 minutes to an hour depending on the time of day. I somehow survive. We did the math for a good private school (+$20,000 a year) plus gas and still came out ahead. We were able to buy a really nice house in a good neighborhood for what we make yearly. We don't regret the move, but we know some who would.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:58 PM

353 posts, read 800,569 times
To be fair to the OP, it usually takes a lot longer than half a year (you bought your house this year? congrats, btw) to come to "regret" a decision like yours. Usually regret doesn't settle in until after a year or two of the commute, long distances, etc. Maybe even 4 or 5 years (some people have higher tolerances than others).

Also, to the OP: Remember that property values and sales are more sustained/reliable in established South Tampa, while buying property in the newer, un-established burbs is always more risky. If you do buy in the burbs, plan to stay AT LEAST 10 years.

Realtors can correct me if I am wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay