Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 08:16 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,375,978 times

Advertisements

Just thought Id Share this latest report:

IN Brief -
Florida is now ranked 4th in the nation for High tech employment, and 2nd fastest growing behind California.
Florida has the lowest Unemployment rate of 10 most populous states.
Tampa ranked 15th out of 379 cities on Business Vitality.
Demand in housing has slowed but has continued in the Tampa area.

http://www.tampasdowntown.com/Editor/assets/monday%20morning%20memo%20documents/economic%20indicators%20june%202007.pdf (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 08:41 AM

112 posts, read 491,379 times
Is there a report for St.Petersburg like this?

I would be intersted in seeing it, if there is.

Old 08-06-2007, 02:13 PM

174 posts, read 666,348 times
"Tampa ranked 15th out of 379 cities on Business Vitality"

Yes but that was from data compiled in 2005 (many days and dollars short).
Last time I checked the housing market was great in 2005 and now not so great.

I wonder how many people lose jobs when houses don't sell.....builders, realtors, building inspectors, loan originators just to name a few and then that trickles down to admin jobs, companies that rent dumpsters, lumber companies and that trickles down to affect hospitality, retail and on and on.

Old 08-06-2007, 02:24 PM

112 posts, read 491,379 times
Haha I didn't even look at the date.

2005... completely different then 2007.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:19 AM

2 posts, read 4,165 times
Default Venture on

I would venture to say that if you want to use stats and then make the statement that they are from 2005 and not from 2007, then simply look again. A very large number of sites and large companies use data to move with industry. (Like Forbes as an example). Many companies use stats to make projections. Use this site as an example:
http://www.aeanet.org/pressroom/prjj_cs2007_florida.asp

Simply said, in mutual funds, many managers review the performance of a company's past in order to make a decision for it future. Just a thought.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:55 PM

Yes true, some statistics are good from prior years to adjust for the future, but when it is politicians trying to give false hope, that is wrong.
Just about as bad as a captain saying don't jump this sinking ship.
They ought to be planning on how to save the faltering economy. A big problem is when people first move here they want to rent to get the feel of being here and get an idea of what towns fit their families needs. The problem is the laws here so well protect the landlord that the tenants have no rights which turn around and allow the landlords to be slumlords. Now don't get me wrong there probably good ones here that realize the happier I make my tenants, the longer they will stay and more willing to pay rent upfront and on time. We have rented 4 houses here and EVERY one has been a slumlord and that is MAIN reason we will not buy here and will move.
My hubby has a job he loves and pays decent as an IS manager, but the hassles of constantly having to move is just not worth it anymore. One of the houses we rented was foreclosed on....we paid rent early every month and still got screwed.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:45 PM

31 posts, read 100,005 times
I don't really want to sound critical, but....

...you couldn't figure out where you wanted to live after FOUR HOUSES????

hmmmmmm.

I'm thinking you may be right about this being the wrong area for you, after all.

If you can't tell within 4-6 months (at most a YEAR) where you'd like to live.... well, Maybe the area is just too big? Maybe you guys need a smaller town?

Old 08-07-2007, 04:47 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,890,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustgetoutofflorida View Post
Yes true, some statistics are good from prior years to adjust for the future, but when it is politicians trying to give false hope, that is wrong.
Just about as bad as a captain saying don't jump this sinking ship.
They ought to be planning on how to save the faltering economy. A big problem is when people first move here they want to rent to get the feel of being here and get an idea of what towns fit their families needs. The problem is the laws here so well protect the landlord that the tenants have no rights which turn around and allow the landlords to be slumlords. Now don't get me wrong there probably good ones here that realize the happier I make my tenants, the longer they will stay and more willing to pay rent upfront and on time. We have rented 4 houses here and EVERY one has been a slumlord and that is MAIN reason we will not buy here and will move.
My hubby has a job he loves and pays decent as an IS manager, but the hassles of constantly having to move is just not worth it anymore. One of the houses we rented was foreclosed on....we paid rent early every month and still got screwed.
Once again, why did you move to Sarasota and expect a stellar economy and banks open on saturdays?

Old 08-07-2007, 05:56 PM

First of all I don't live in Sarasota....second of all the reason I have lived in 4 houses is because of slumlords or landlords letting their homes going into foreclosure although you have paid them rent plus security and last month.
The first house was in a gated community in Fort Myers, not only were my kids getting shot by BB guns the HOA allowed it, plus they wouldn't fix anything and had mold problems we were not told about and the gates were always broken.
Second house moved into ac did not work for the entire summer even LCEC did a home study and said it needed serious repair, once again we had put down first last and security. House was in Cape Coral
Third house paid rent on time, brand new house NY investors had 4 altogether and they got foreclosed on.
4th house presently in, on a canal with a pool, gave her tons of money too, she did not replace the fridge like she said, the smoke detectors did not work we had to replace them all, she did not resurface the pool like she said and it is horrible, we had to fill the pool on our water bill because she was too cheap to put it in her name. The ac her does not work properly neither does the dishwasher, I have to hand wash dishes in a house that is over 80 degrees, and many other issues that we could not tell at the time.....what can I do it's not like there is an agency to complaint to that will actually do anything, if you withhold rent they put you in evictions and the court makes you put rent on hold with them and the landlord can clain financial problems and that money can be turned over to them and if you ask the courts to give you a hearing without turning over the rent and then having them make the judgement, they refuse. I have been like most people waiting for the market to fall more before I buy but since I am leaving, very glad I didn't buy now, would be stuck here longer. We have paid for many repairs out of our own pocket and she will not pay us back.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:57 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,890,555 times
You picked a lot of crappy areas...all of SW Florida is a place to die, not to live. Enjoy Houston, its an amazing city, unlike SW FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay