U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 11:25 AM

556 posts, read 1,481,461 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I've been reading up on St. Pete for the last few days, but have a question. Politically speaking, is St. Petersburg more liberal or conservative? Or is it a pretty good mix of both? Are a lot of people politically minded and outspoken, or is it more of a kickback and whatever floats your boat attitude?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 11:51 AM
BBI

490 posts, read 810,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmagana View Post
Hi everyone. I've been reading up on St. Pete for the last few days, but have a question. Politically speaking, is St. Petersburg more liberal or conservative? Or is it a pretty good mix of both? Are a lot of people politically minded and outspoken, or is it more of a kickback and whatever floats your boat attitude?
I don't want to generalize for all of St. Pete because the neighborhoods can be quite different. But where I live (Old NE neighborhood), we've got transplants from every corner of North America, so there's no real political definition. And we're kind of a sleepy town with a beach vacation vibe; way too laid back to be outspoken. I'm sure things will get somewhat politically charged with the election next year, but I assume less so than most cities.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:29 PM

9 posts, read 34,574 times
Well St. Petersburg tends to be left of center. South St. Petersburg, which is mostly African American is very liberal and votes for democratic candidates 65%+ most of the time. Northeast St.Petersburg has a mix of old money Republicans, who help fundraise for the GOP and young liberals. The urbanization of St. Pete is causing more liberally prone people to move in.

Although, St. Pete has a Republican mayor since 2001. But the mayoral office is considered NPA so the candidates party isn't listed on the ballot. St. Petersburg as a city, voted for Obama in 2008.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:42 PM
BBI

490 posts, read 810,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPeteGuy888 View Post
Northeast St.Petersburg has a mix of old money Republicans, who help fundraise for the GOP and young liberals. The urbanization of St. Pete is causing more liberally prone people to move in.
Nah, it's a much broader mix than that. I don't fall into either category, and neither does anyone on my block. Don't get me wrong, we have GOP fundraisers and young liberals in the neighborhood. But we also have young republicans, old money liberals, ex-hippies, tea partiers, and everything in between. It's a nice melting pot, and I'm pretty sure that as long as alcohol prices remain stable, things will remain laid back....

I agree on urbanization, though. I'm told that only a few years ago downtown was completely dead; today it's a legit (and in many ways preferable) alternative to Tampa for many of us younger folks. And now northeast St. Pete is getting younger, seemingly accelerated by the housing market decline, and younger usually means more liberal. Given how many strollers get pushed around, I expect schools will be a hot issue in the near future.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:46 PM

45 posts, read 52,687 times
Mixed.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:02 PM

556 posts, read 1,481,461 times
Thank you for the replies. Sounds like pretty much what I expected.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:09 PM

2,602 posts, read 7,198,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPeteGuy888 View Post
Well St. Petersburg tends to be left of center. South St. Petersburg, which is mostly African American is very liberal and votes for democratic candidates 65%+ most of the time.
South St. Pete votes Democratic overwhelmingly, but I wouldn't necessarily equate that with being liberal. Black voters usually vote Democrat, but that is mostly due to fiscal liberalism; black communities remain rather socially conservative.

Fun fact: South St. Pete is actually in Florida's 11th congressional district, making it an exclave of a district that includes most of the City of Tampa and the coastal areas of the East Bay.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:03 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,135,888 times
It's a mix, like most have said. Overall, it seems to fall a bit to the left.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:07 AM

30 posts, read 91,115 times
I am interested in moving to the St. Pete area. I currently live in Philadelphia and I absolutely hate it here. My question is: what is the racial climate there? Whenever I read posts about the area, I hear people talking about the crime rate in mostly black St. Pete's. I am a middle-aged professional woman and not a criminal, but many people assume that since you are black, you are on welfare, stupid, and violent. I get sick of this kind of mentality. I know there is racism everywhere, but I want to move to a place where it's minimal.

I always hear about how racist the South is, but there are many racist people here. I've experienced plenty of racism from WHITE NORTHERNERS during my 53 years. For example, just the other day, my sister and I were in her car, driving down the street, and some idiot yells out the dreaded "n" word. We were just two middle-aged women minding our own business. It kind of put a cloud over the whole day, and this isn't the first time some shyt like this has happened here. I want to be judged as an individual, not by the color of my skin. Like I said, I've experienced plenty of racism in my life from whites, but I don't hate all white people.

I really can't wait to get out of here!

Old 08-15-2011, 11:47 AM

9 posts, read 34,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casher O'Neill View Post
I am interested in moving to the St. Pete area. I currently live in Philadelphia and I absolutely hate it here. My question is: what is the racial climate there? Whenever I read posts about the area, I hear people talking about the crime rate in mostly black St. Pete's. I am a middle-aged professional woman and not a criminal, but many people assume that since you are black, you are on welfare, stupid, and violent. I get sick of this kind of mentality. I know there is racism everywhere, but I want to move to a place where it's minimal.

I always hear about how racist the South is, but there are many racist people here. I've experienced plenty of racism from WHITE NORTHERNERS during my 53 years. For example, just the other day, my sister and I were in her car, driving down the street, and some idiot yells out the dreaded "n" word. We were just two middle-aged women minding our own business. It kind of put a cloud over the whole day, and this isn't the first time some shyt like this has happened here. I want to be judged as an individual, not by the color of my skin. Like I said, I've experienced plenty of racism in my life from whites, but I don't hate all white people.

I really can't wait to get out of here!
St. Petersburg isn't really racist at all, but the city is divided along race. African Americans make up the majority of the population south of Central Ave. and there is a mix of white and others north of Central Ave.

Crime is more rampant South St. Pete than in the North, but you should be fine wherever you move. St. Pete is an inviting place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay