Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 09:59 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,283,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You wont run into any toll booth where the only method of payment is a sunpass, most will be manned and on the outside possibility they arent? paying cash into a basket will be your option..
You are incorrect. As mentioned elsewhere in this post, the Crosstown Expressway does not offer cash payments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 10:13 AM

8 posts, read 42,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Interesting. Thanks. I didn't realize they removed the option of paying without a SunPass.

That's ridiculous, especially in a state with so many tourists. I need to go back and reread the link I posted from the FDOT.

Here's another link about renting a car in Florida and tolls. I'm learning something new.

https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

Thank you for this link.

To use a SunPass, Thirfty wants to charge me $36.99/weekly plus $6.99 daily (we are going for 8 days) for a total of ~$44 for unlimited toll use.

Alamo, National or Enterprise would charge me $6 for the duration plus tolls. I don't really see myself using $38 in tolls.

Oh well, looks like I can use cash/coins at the toll booths I'm using and I won't worry about this.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
You are incorrect. As mentioned elsewhere in this post, the Crosstown Expressway does not offer cash payments.

Please excuse the out-of-towner ignorance, but what/where is the Crosstown Expressway?
Thanks!

Nevermind, I found the answer

Last edited by debbiedana; 06-17-2011 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: Answered my own question

Old 06-17-2011, 12:22 PM

626 posts, read 1,348,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiedana View Post

But as long as I can use coins around the Bayway where we stay, and I can get to Universal via I-4, I should be fine.

Oh I forgot, we're going to Busch Gardens one day...if I recall I shouldn't have to pay any tolls on I-275 right? And I guess that applies to the airport as well?

Thank you all so much for your replies! I appreciate it tremendously!!!!
You will be fine and toll free on I-275, I-75 and I-4...which will get you to Busch Gardens, Universal, and Pinellas.

Really the only roads you have to worry about paying tolls on around Tampa Bay are the Crosstown Expressway and Veterans Expressway. Veterans however has change basket options and manned tollbooths.. so the only one around is the Crosstown and based upon where youre talking about visiting, I dont really see a need for you to be on there

Hope you enjoy your vaca!

Old 06-17-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdubose View Post
You will be fine and toll free on I-275, I-75 and I-4...which will get you to Busch Gardens, Universal, and Pinellas.

Really the only roads you have to worry about paying tolls on around Tampa Bay are the Crosstown Expressway and Veterans Expressway. Veterans however has change basket options and manned tollbooths.. so the only one around is the Crosstown and based upon where youre talking about visiting, I dont really see a need for you to be on there

Hope you enjoy your vaca!

Thank you! I was hoping someone would be able to jump on and tell me all will be well and I don't have to deal with getting yet another thing handled when I don't land until really late at night. I can easily avoid the Crosstown for just about anywhere we'll be going.

Thanks to everyone for their input!

Old 06-17-2011, 03:10 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
I stand corrected. i've never encountered a road that was restricted to sunpass holders only
Obviously then its a road with restricted access to Sunpass holders only and should have signs prominently displayed advising motorists of its restrictions.If you dont have a sunpass steer clear..

Old 06-17-2011, 04:07 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,758,112 times
If you dont have a sunpass and go on the expressway, they just 'bill' you.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:01 PM

28 posts, read 58,425 times
I was there a week ago, and I just got a bill from enterprise for all my toll fee's. One of the first things I will do when i get there is get a SunPass.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:08 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,304,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I stand corrected. i've never encountered a road that was restricted to sunpass holders only
Obviously then its a road with restricted access to Sunpass holders only and should have signs prominently displayed advising motorists of its restrictions.If you dont have a sunpass steer clear..
To be fair, they have installed quite a few new signs saying that, at least at the South Tampa onramps.

We Bill You (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ferret111/5766632052/ - broken link) by ferret111 (http://www.flickr.com/people/ferret111/ - broken link), on Flickr

Last edited by ferret111; 06-17-2011 at 09:09 PM.. Reason: picture

Old 06-18-2011, 09:29 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,320,473 times
Simple answer, dont drive on any toll roads. There is absolutely NOWHERE you will drive where a toll road will benefit you.

To the person who mentioned the Crosstown, there is a zero% chance they will use it, so dont mention it. The bayway and skyway are still manned tolls, the other toll roads in the area they will never use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay