U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 05:18 PM

6,584 posts, read 6,793,119 times

Advertisements

Moved from NYC sure some people up there have boats and inground pools...oh and they're also rich!! My old house has an above ground pool and is one block from the expressway.It's currently for sale @ $700,000! I couldn't even move back if I wanted too (and I don't)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 2,647 times
Hahaha...just moved here from Philly.....gotta love it!!! Amen brother!!

Old 01-10-2012, 03:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,453 times
I agree with Jambo101's comment that people should do much more research on a destination they plan on moving to Clearwater and to this point, where can I start beside this forum to just do that. I am living in Illinois and get close to retirement. Our oldest son and his familiy are living in Palm beach but this area will be too expensive for us. We are looking for a place where our daughter and other son won't have too difficult to visit us from a transportation standpoint but will also be eager to come and see us to enjoy the nice weather, the beaches and all the good stuff. We lived in Brazil for two years and my wife is Italien ... so the warm weather should not be that much of an issue ... I am not sure about the humidity though but the alternative would be Arizona and we do not want to be that far off from the East Coast ..... closer to Europe were are originally from. As far as crime rate ... I do not think that Clearwater is any better or worse than the other cities .... I live in Peoria and we use to have killing almost on a weekly basis. I will appreciate any advice ...

Old 01-13-2012, 02:45 PM

78 posts, read 165,716 times
We moved here from Chicago almost one year ago and we love it. We are not in Clearwater (we live in Lithia) and love every minute of it. Yeah some people will say just wait another few years and it will wear off but I don't listen to them.

We have fun every weekend and go explore different beaches, go up to Crystal River and enjoy the beauty, visit one of the many state parks. I don't come on here often because just to many people who are so negative of the Bay area that love to make others miserable. (this isn't aimed to anyone in particular)

It all depends on where you are from. We lived in a nice area in the Chicago suburbs. Took an hour to go 10 miles, at the time gas was $4 a gallon and we were renting a 900 sq ft nice apartment for $1200 a month. The news was filled with murders and stabbings and police officers dieing and unemployment at 12% and some teacher was accused with 5000 counts of something and every other breaking news was about corruption in politics. The weather blah blah blah is hot and humid. Well so is Chicago. It is just as hot with days in the 90's. Sounds almost the same anywhere you live.

Only thing that sucks here is going out to eat. I miss Chicago food and that is one thing Tampa will never win.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:50 PM

4,500 posts, read 6,558,688 times
I hear you Sjea...And I have heard what you are saying before.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:13 PM

2,359 posts, read 4,478,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjea0124 View Post
We moved here from Chicago almost one year ago and we love it. We are not in Clearwater (we live in Lithia) and love every minute of it. Yeah some people will say just wait another few years and it will wear off but I don't listen to them.

We have fun every weekend and go explore different beaches, go up to Crystal River and enjoy the beauty, visit one of the many state parks. I don't come on here often because just to many people who are so negative of the Bay area that love to make others miserable. (this isn't aimed to anyone in particular)

It all depends on where you are from. We lived in a nice area in the Chicago suburbs. Took an hour to go 10 miles, at the time gas was $4 a gallon and we were renting a 900 sq ft nice apartment for $1200 a month. The news was filled with murders and stabbings and police officers dieing and unemployment at 12% and some teacher was accused with 5000 counts of something and every other breaking news was about corruption in politics. The weather blah blah blah is hot and humid. Well so is Chicago. It is just as hot with days in the 90's. Sounds almost the same anywhere you live.

Only thing that sucks here is going out to eat. I miss Chicago food and that is one thing Tampa will never win.
You hit the nail on the head with that. It all depends on what your giving up, for what your getting. It's definatly a good deal for some, not so good deal for others. You never really know until you try.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:13 AM

1 posts, read 2,164 times
I've got news for all of you who keep talking about how Florida has changed...crime has increased, people are rude, etc. That's happened everywhere, not just Florida. Here in Indiana, things have changed too. Indiana, in the past, was always known for its "Hoosier Hospitality". Not so true anymore. I receive more hospitality in Pinellas county than in Indiana these days. I grew up and still currently live in Terre Haute, IN, a city of just under 60,000. It was always known as a big small town...friendly and full of hospitality. Huge rate of growth in the 90s. Not anymore. Just recently, Terre Haute was the meth capital of the U.S. until local law enforcement put a dent in it. Last year we lost one of our best police officers to the hands of a scum bag. We also had two other police involved shooting incidents within the two previous years of that incident. It has become a city full of welfare recipients and areas that were once nice, are no longer. Trust me, stay where you're at. There is nothing to do up north...no really, nothing. Especially in the winter. I've been visiting the Clearwater area for most of my life and am confident it is one of the greatest places on earth. I hope to have my family moved there in the next year.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:17 PM

27 posts, read 63,373 times
This thread is like a train wreck. I just had to stop and look.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:44 PM

77 posts, read 121,808 times
We are leaving in 18 days for Florida. My son got accepted to an Aviation School so the whole family is moving. I know its going to be rough for the first few months and except it to be. Not knowing anyone, weather difference, new jobs, finding a place to live etc. I am originally from Pa., moved to Az 5 years ago and can not wait to get out of Az.

Its like I say you get out of it what you make of it. Some people love it and others hate it. Can not knock anything until you try it. Looking forward to greens, water, beach, humidity, thunderstorms, rain, and anything else that comes along

Old 03-06-2012, 06:01 PM

146 posts, read 266,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the4inthevalley View Post
We are leaving in 18 days for Florida. My son got accepted to an Aviation School so the whole family is moving. I know its going to be rough for the first few months and except it to be. Not knowing anyone, weather difference, new jobs, finding a place to live etc. I am originally from Pa., moved to Az 5 years ago and can not wait to get out of Az.

Its like I say you get out of it what you make of it. Some people love it and others hate it. Can not knock anything until you try it. Looking forward to greens, water, beach, humidity, thunderstorms, rain, and anything else that comes along

Likely Embry Riddle Univ. , my son almsot decided on there but ended up at Purdue. Like you say , it all depends son how you view the place your moving too. Its really an adventure. Fl does have a lot of murders and crazies but fotunately have been near none in the 10 years I have been here.Gas is around $3.75 right now which is lower than west coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or