U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 09:51 PM

13 posts, read 34,113 times

Advertisements

sold my house left my job in erie pa. and now live in fredonia ny
just south of buffalo. just left my new job(1 year) that was in dunkirk ny(welfare city and i mean Welfare City)
which is why i moved to fredonia. not for the welfare for the job
now iam lost and dont know if i should move to tampa.
mom lives in zephryhills and i like the area. i cant stand winter, every year it seems to get me down more and more, there's never any sun for months.
things i fear and i know i should not fear but unsure of:

selling all my stuff.
i would like to good down with one car full, maybe mail or ship a few things.
i have two cars 01 olds and a 98vette, i think the vette would make it a nice ride down
so that means selling the olds.
my rent now is $400 one bedroom. but no jobs here, would need to travel 45 min. or move again.
i worked in the rent to own bis for 10 years and getting a little sick of it, so
i would like different employment. up here i make about 43k.
and now just got a offer to came back to erie working for Aarons rental
which would mean a move back to Pa.
i love the beach the ocean and no snow. i have a feeling when winter comes i will be complaining about it if i stay.
mom said i could live with her until iam on my feet
love her but not sure about that. i always got a chuckle when i heard of the 43 year old going back home....i cant believe it might happen to me
i cant believe what has happened to me.
i dont want to get down there and have to take a 10/hr job.
i would like to get my life back on track.
do i go or should i stay.
O my brother lives in houston...i cant every think about that one.
thats the last of the family.

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 10:27 PM

713 posts, read 2,424,688 times
Default Vette98...

I'm a former Buffalonian too. I left with friends and went to S. FL. I was missing home for about 1-2 years but 15+ later, I'm still down here. More opportunities in FL as Buffalo is truly a welfare state. Can always go back to visit.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:47 PM

106 posts, read 525,901 times
Default Follow your heart

Just move to Florida tropical like weather, I live in NJ now selling my house and can't wait to move down to Tampa area it is nicer than NJ I am also tired of the snow and cold, people complaint just come to NJ and see what is like so don't criticize without knowing.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:02 PM

11 posts, read 42,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vette98 View Post
just south of buffalo. just left my new job(1 year) that was in dunkirk ny(welfare city and i mean Welfare City)
mom lives in zephryhills and i like the area. i cant stand winter, every year it seems to get me down more and more, there's never any sun for months.

selling all my stuff.
i have two cars 01 olds and a 98vette, i think the vette would make it a nice ride down
my rent now is $400 one bedroom. but no jobs here, would need to travel 45 min. or move again.
i worked in the rent to own bis for 10 years and getting a little sick of it, so
i love the beach the ocean and no snow. i have a feeling when winter comes i will be complaining about it if i stay.
love her but not sure about that. i always got a chuckle when i heard of the 43 year old going back home....i cant believe it might happen to me

thanks.
I am in my late 30's and my husband and I live in Northern California. We are considering moving to the Lakeland area. We have all the same fears. We have established ourselves...own a home (we got in right before the big boom so we have doubled our money in three years) we bought an empty lot in an up and coming subdivision paid 50k and they now go for 115k. We both have good jobs and my husband has free healthcare for the family through his employer. It would mean cashing out ALL we have!!! Selling everything and pretty much starting over. We worry about what kind of pay and jobs we will end up with and if we will be able to buy a house.
We know we want the climate and the beauty of Florida. Its the fear of what if we take such a loss in our quality of life financially and end up full of regret. We would be stuck there and dealing with the huge decision we made. I feel your insecurity and doubt. You have some things going that we dont, you have been able to "visit" the area, you have a place to lay your head while you settle in. We would not hesitate as much if this were the case for us. Sounds to me like you would be happy there. I think sometimes caution is smart but you can also become so absorbed with what if this and what if that, you just have to consider throwing caution to the wind and go for it. Easy to say huh?? Any how best of luck with what ever you decide to do.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:12 AM

1,824 posts, read 7,616,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vette98 View Post

selling all my stuff.

thanks.
My suggestion would be to take a position in the rent to own business here in Florida(Aaron is huge here, among many others), and then figure out what you want to do while you are living here. And yes, Live with mom even for a few weeks until you find a rental apt/condo in the area. Take advantage of having family in the area to help you and also make it easier for the big move..

Old 08-08-2007, 06:42 AM

15,123 posts, read 31,016,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
My suggestion would be to take a position in the rent to own business here in Florida(Aaron is huge here, among many others), and then figure out what you want to do while you are living here. And yes, Live with mom even for a few weeks until you find a rental apt/condo in the area. Take advantage of having family in the area to help you and also make it easier for the big move..
I agree with Tampaguy - the good thing is, staying with your mom in Z-hills will give you a chance to scope out the towns, it is close to Tampa and Lakeland.

And my own thoughts for anyone hesitating to move - I have never lived up north in NY or NJ, only briefly visited, so I don't have first-hand knowledge of living there. I am a Florida native. But even without having lived up there, given the choice I would pick Florida every time. Despite a lot of the problems and negatives that get discussed on this forum, Florida has some incredible things to offer - it is a uniquely beautiful state, and while the summers can be hot, honestly most of the year the weather is gorgeous, if a bit on the warmer side. And even the towns in certain inland areas of Florida (like my Lakeland) although not on the Gulf or ocean, are incredibly gorgeous due to all the beautiful lakes, and rolling hills. There is a lot of opportunity in the Tampa Bay area and Central Florida in general. It all really depends on one's attitude. If you come here feeling positive and happy, I believe it will all work out. Those that come here against their will or expecting the worst will find it.

Good luck to you all.
~gypsychic~

Old 08-08-2007, 07:42 AM

174 posts, read 615,784 times
Have you been to Houston....the job market is supposed to be pretty good.
The weather is similiar but the beaches are better in Florida. The cost of living is way better, why not consider it. How about staying with your mom but visit your brother and see what you like better. If your true concerns are cost of living and job security Houston may be the better answer. A lot of people are moving from Florida to Houston.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:08 AM

112 posts, read 448,994 times
Seems Houston might be better, Houses are cheaper there. The wages down here in Florida are low.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:17 PM

13 posts, read 34,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustgetoutofflorida View Post
Have you been to Houston....the job market is supposed to be pretty good.
The weather is similiar but the beaches are better in Florida. The cost of living is way better, why not consider it. How about staying with your mom but visit your brother and see what you like better. If your true concerns are cost of living and job security Houston may be the better answer. A lot of people are moving from Florida to Houston.
i was thinking about that. drop off my stuff at moms and visit bro in houston.
i have never been there. sad, my fam is from grand island, they all moved and i stayed up here for 15 years because i always had a ok job and nice house. i lived in Rochester for 10 years and miss the many things to do that were just around the corner of my house.
moved to Chautauqua County what a mistake!!!
well well well.... everyone thanks for your input. i do need to get my butt
in gear!! i get alittle depressed ,thanks for your words and caring hearts

Old 08-09-2007, 08:09 AM

174 posts, read 615,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezzled View Post
Seems Houston might be better, Houses are cheaper there. The wages down here in Florida are low.
That's even if you can find a job, too!!!! My teenagers can't find a job here in the summer, probably won't be hiring until "season" really stinks that for 6 months or more there are no jobs for responsible teens. Some people have been unemployed and still can't find a job after their benefits run out. If it weren't the need for seasonal employment the unemployment rate would probably be much higher than it's portrayed.
Our problem wasn't finding jobs, it is horrible slumlords.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or