Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 08:13 PM

43 posts, read 111,255 times

Advertisements

Much of Tampa's neighborhoods have improved in value because people have bought inexpensive homes and flipped them.

The new super exemption we are sheilded 75% of the actual home value. So if I buy a run down house and rehab it to triple the value, like I have on my current home- I get hit with a bunch of taxes over the course of several years of ownership.

In the old way of doing things my home value was a set amount when I bought it, taxes were rated on that alone and then no matter how much I improved it I still couldn't get more than a 3% increase.

Whether we flip a home ourselves or have money to hire contracted improvements it seems this law going away in Florida may prevent neighborhoods from renovating and rehabbing like we need. Any thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 08:42 PM

71 posts, read 333,050 times
For those of us from out of town could you link to whatever you're talking about?

Old 08-08-2007, 08:47 PM

458 posts, read 593,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cora72 View Post
Much of Tampa's neighborhoods have improved in value because people have bought inexpensive homes and flipped them.

The new super exemption we are sheilded 75% of the actual home value. So if I buy a run down house and rehab it to triple the value, like I have on my current home- I get hit with a bunch of taxes over the course of several years of ownership.

In the old way of doing things my home value was a set amount when I bought it, taxes were rated on that alone and then no matter how much I improved it I still couldn't get more than a 3% increase.

Whether we flip a home ourselves or have money to hire contracted improvements it seems this law going away in Florida may prevent neighborhoods from renovating and rehabbing like we need. Any thoughts on this?
I don't agree with your first paragraph one bit. The flippers are what caused the disastrous bubble. You can not artificially "improve" a neighborhood's value. House prices must be attached to real fundamentals such as wage increases.

If an areas wages increase only 3% per year, it does not matter if every single house is remodeled and made twice as 'valuable'....it ruins the area because people can not truly afford them. 3% wage increases equals 3% housing increases, not 20-30%!

Old 08-09-2007, 01:41 PM

44 posts, read 227,155 times
I know that when the polls get ready to open there are going to be people everywhere (teachers, fireman, etc) standing outside the polls trying to convince people to vote no on this change. That scares me, as I really, really want this to pass. I'd like to organize some kind of a group to go around to some of the polls and give the other side of the argument and try to get the people to approve this change to the constitution.

I need volunteers to help me organize something. Anybody interested? If so, respond or PM me.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:27 PM

112 posts, read 490,141 times
HAHA I can't wait to move.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:58 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,162,531 times
Quote:

Make major improvements properly permitted and you will most likely be reassesed. Your SOH will go out the window anyway.

Old 08-11-2007, 03:08 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,937,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKing View Post
I don't agree with your first paragraph one bit. The flippers are what caused the disastrous bubble. You can not artificially "improve" a neighborhood's value. House prices must be attached to real fundamentals such as wage increases.

If an areas wages increase only 3% per year, it does not matter if every single house is remodeled and made twice as 'valuable'....it ruins the area because people can not truly afford them. 3% wage increases equals 3% housing increases, not 20-30%!
Exactly - St. Pete is a housing nightmare because of this (or at least was when I moved out in May).

Old 08-11-2007, 03:56 PM

Speaking from experience being a middle class paid single female, buying a house for $67,000 and turning it to $200,000 was an opportunity. I pay taxes on the original cost with a small increase of 3% max. Almost every house on the block has doubled or tripled because of rehab efforts. Sit down with a calculator and figure out what that costs over 10 or 20 years with the new plan.

With the new plan poor people can live in repressed neighborhoods and do nothing because they'll get taxed for things they can barely afford already. They will not have the option I had of improving a home when that alone costs a lot. The rich people can buy in the neighborhoods they want. It sounds like a great plan for the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Your right, it sounds like a fantastic plan for our economy....

Old 08-11-2007, 08:33 PM

174 posts, read 664,563 times
Quote:

How about letting the home buyers fix up their houses and neighborhood? What do you care, it's not like you will be living there?

Old 08-12-2007, 09:44 AM

Default Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustgetoutofflorida View Post
How about letting the home buyers fix up their houses and neighborhood? What do you care, it's not like you will be living there?
Your post is so irrelevant to things I have bullet pointed I don't even know where to begin Maybe you can elaborate on how I MYSELF, am not letting home buyers fix up their houses and how MY neighborhood isn't a neighborhood affected by this law? If it isn't I wouldn't care like you imply that I shouldn't. But I'm not seeing it. I'm sorry have I somehow slipped into a zone where I am unaffected by everything and my own neighborhood has no bearing on my life...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: